jumped some intentional malfunctions and then
cut them away and opened the reserve on the
back.

One of the malfunctions was a streamer caused
by tying the skirt of the main closed.

There wasn't much drag. It was easy to stand
up or lay flat.

Skr

Yes, result, I'm still here. With left toggle in tow, toggle wrapped the bridle above bag once p/c was thrown. Did'nt know it at the time, did know deployment was very different. risers crossed. Spread risers to either side of my head looked up (1st mistake, curiosity knowing it definately ewas'nt right)at what appeared to be baglock. Shook risers to free baglock, bag began spinning let go of risers looking for handles( 2nd mistake).At this point i was standing more upright for sure. Right riser link ends appeared to by my waist, slack lines danced in front of my face. Oh, did i mention the full rack of cameras and bitch'n ring site? Uh oh! So my answer for that particular baglock type mal is yes, baglock stood me up and i sped up.

Hello There!
Well friend i just had my first malfuction since i started in Sport! I have a G4 rig with a cayenne 190 with one of those fabulous split bags. I have done 100 jumps with it so far. i left out of the airplane at 4000ft to practice my landings.deployment around 3000, and felt that i continued free-falling. Yes i had enough drag to STAND ME UP seconds later! i could see the bag lock just looking up and with more unstability than usual i was able to grab and pull down both risers 2 seconds before the Emergency Procedures. My RSL opened my Reserve one second before i placed my hand on the reserve handle. Smoth landing.

I hope that this helps to answer your question.

Thanks Jferrand
João Ferrand - Portugal
http://www.blue-emotions.pt

no stand up on my bag lock, just stayed on my belly. that was my first chop so it was a bit surprising, the whole "hmmm, nothings changed" experience for a second or two after the time I expected a yank.

exit weight 170, moderately baggy freefly suit. when I chopped the main it did pull the reserve via the RSL in what I now know to be the standard delay time for my RSL.

greg

aka Sir Chops-a-lot

I've been luck enough to have had two bag locked caonpies *(not on the same jump fortunately)
One stood me up.
One didn't

And I have been lucky enough to have one - it did not stand me up but then again I did not give it much time - reacted to the situation promptly.

-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I had a bag-lock. Exit weight 220lbs,
canopy 150.
It stood me up, fast.

One did not stand me up.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

no stand up on my bag lock, just stayed on my belly. that was my first chop so it was a bit surprising, the whole "hmmm, nothings changed" experience for a second or two after the time I expected a yank.

exit weight 170, moderately baggy freefly suit. when I chopped the main it did pull the reserve via the RSL in what I now know to be the standard delay time for my RSL.

greg

aka Sir Chops-a-lot

My bag was in tow until I pulled the reserve.

What really hits home for me from your post is your explination of what it felt like.

You know, I threw the pilot chute, your internal clock say hhmmmm, something is not right here. Take a quck look, follow procedure.

Then , on the ground it wow, that was interesting:)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I have not seen one in a long time and I have never experienced one myself. The ones I have seen did stand the jumper up vertical just like a streamer would.

These were on student gear with large spring-loaded pilot chutes. Hot-dogs I think, or something similar.

So I think the answer is that they CAN but not everytime on every rig. smaller pilot chutes or uncocked pilot chutes may not have enough drag. Bag/canopy size and bridle/line lengths may also be a contributing factor.

I did a bunch of jumps with a few guys recreating some of the Gypsy Moth's stunts and a few other things for airshows.
Depending on the amount of drag generated by something trailing from a freefalling body, we found that you could let things stand you up, or continue to fly on your belly or back or however you cared to flail. Once a certain amount of drag was generated though, you were merely the weight anchoring the streamer or bag trailing above.
Zing Lurks

my baglock last weekend stood me up. 145lb exit weight, 150sqft canopy.

Doesn't matter what size canopy it is if it's a baglock.:D:D.

I've had streamers that never stood me up. Never had a real bag lock, though. There's a lot of variables, one of them being "How hard were you arching?"

I'll add another to the "YES" column. First mal, resulted from instability...of course. Spinning on my back, pull time came...threw the main, baglock...stood me up...cutaway, and deployed the reserve, uneventful landing. I would have had at a minimum, (I believe) line twists on the reserve, if it were not for the drag of the d-bag standing me up. You've got two, and if you have time, (and you should) use the first to give your second a better chance.