lawrocket

Execution of elderly man in California

Isn't the main point of the death penalty supposed to be a deterent??

Oh yeah, "OK kids, don't kill people or we'll lock you up until your just about to die of natural causes anyway, when you've reached an age where you probably don't even care about death anymore because you've spent life behind bars, and then execute you."

That's not a frickin deterent anymore than life behind bars. That's almost life in jail and ethunasia thrown in for free!

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

As I said earlier, I think not. At least not the main point.

Punishment fitting the crime I think is the main point, at least for those that advocate it.

If the execution were carried out very quickly, then it would certainly be more of a deterent. Of course that would mean more innocent people would get executed.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

He should of been executed long ago

I agree. Should have been shortly after finding out he ordered the witnesses killed while sitting in prison. The state really dropped the ball then. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

No, it's 1 of 4 "standard" justifications of the penalty, or of all society-imposed punishment for that matter. In no particular order, they are:

1. Deterrence - punish the offender to make an example of him, and thereby deter the rest of society from committing crimes. (That's the point you're making.)

2. Retribution - punish the offender to express society's outrage at the crime committed. ("He's a scumbag for what he did. Let him rot/fry/hang/burn in Hell/move in with his ex-mother-in-law/whatever.")

3. Prevention - By removing the offender from society (by incarceration or execution), and/or subjecting him to very close supervision (e.g., probation/parole, wearing a leg cuff with a GPS tracker, etc.), you protect society by physically restraining the offender from committing new crimes, at least while he's serving his sentence.

4. Restitution - The offender has taken something from society, so you compel him to repay society, as much in a literal sense as a moral one. Examples: payment of monetary fines or restitution, community service, etc.

Ideally, judges balance all 4 considerations, among other factors, when sentencing a convicted offender.

You there! In the back of the class! There will be a quiz on this!

I think #3 is the only legitimate item in that list. I think the others (as well as more reasons depending on who you talk to) are either interesting side effects, or complete distractions from the purpose of justice. IMO

Tookie and this guy wouldn't even be an issue if we would carry out sentences in a timely fashion.

1 - LRocket - you got me, somehow I thought you were serious. You troll, youl

2 - RL - Ian got you clean with the "troll" comment. Zam, boom, owned......

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

***Poor Mr. Allen is deaf, blind and wheelchair-bound, and suffers from diabetes.***

Sounds like they'd be doing the poor bugger a favour.:|
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Where's Kevorkian these days? He'd do it.

I compare this a lot to Tookie's execution.

And what gives you the right to believe you are on a first name basis with the Tookmeister?
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Would you be so eager if you had to cut his head off with a knife?

If someone needed killing, I don't believe I would hesitate. I would, however, demand a sharp knife.

I like animals better than people, and I've killed more than a few when they've needed killing.

Is the kind of mental disorder that would lead to the death penalty somehow better than a bodily disorder that requires a merciful death?

No matter how you answer the question, one should not call on others to perform actions they themselves would not be willing to do.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

If someone needed killing, I don't believe I would hesitate. I would, however, demand a sharp knife.

I'll send ya a list and a sharp knife. How soon can ya start?
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I'll send ya a list and a sharp knife. How soon can ya start?

:D:D
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I like animals better than people, and I've killed more than a few when they've needed killing.

I call Bullshit.

Doesn't matter if you like animals more than people (which is not politically correct but somehow understandable). My bet though is you _would_ hesitate.

It's different if it's an "animal" of your own kind. Killing a homo sapiens is different than killing, for example, a felidae.
I assume you are sensitive, so I'm willing to bet that killing a human (even if they needed it) would haunt you forever.

Ich betrachte die Religion als Krankheit, als Quelle unnennbaren Elends für die menschliche Rasse.
(Bertrand Russell, engl. Philosoph, 1872-1970)

I still haven't seen anybody post that this guy should live.

Where art thou?

How ill is this guy? Besides being put to death this month, what is his life expectancy? It would be much cheaper to not tend to his health needs than to execute him. Unless of course, you were to ask Rhonda kindly and give her a sharp knife.
Personally, I am neither for nor against the death penalty. However, I do believe that putting someone to death is giving them the easy way out. If someone were to murder my mother, I would rather they be sentence to a life of pain and suffering, hence, no HBO, pool tables, swimming pools, sports of any kind, no telephone or contact with anyone outside or inside (stir) the prison walls. Merely giving a person a life sentence and allowing them all the comfort of home is also not a punishment. Confining a person for the remainder of their life and allowing no comfort would be an un bearable torture and would do more to deter than what is offered now.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I think #3 is the only legitimate item in that list. I think the others (as well as more reasons depending on who you talk to) are either interesting side effects, or complete distractions from the purpose of justice. IMO

Tookie and this guy wouldn't even be an issue if we would carry out sentences in a timely fashion.

1 - LRocket - you got me, somehow I thought you were serious. You troll, youl

So do you really think that restitution isn't part of justice? If someone rips me off, I would consider them paying their debt to me just as important to the cause of justice as their being penalized by time in jail or removal of priveleges. I mean, if all they got was a sentence, then punishment is given but I'm left out in the cold for whatever was taken. The more I think about it, sentencing is punishment, restitution is justice.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

So do you really think that restitution isn't part of justice? If someone rips me off, I would consider them paying their debt to me just as important to the cause of justice as their being penalized by time in jail or removal of priveleges. I mean, if all they got was a sentence, then punishment is given but I'm left out in the cold for whatever was taken. The more I think about it, sentencing is punishment, restitution is justice.

I do believe that. You are already a victim in your example. Too late, so sorry. They can pay you back what they stole if it's material, but that doesn't change the fact that you are the victim. Justice is keeping the criminal from doing it to someone else.

Restitution is a good thought, but if someone steal $25K from you and we catch him after he spends the money, they aren't going to change his sentence just to let him earn enough to pay you back.

If you catch him and he pays you back right then, do you let him go because your sense of 'justice' is satisfied? Then what do you consider our responsibility to the next person he steals from? That's sense of responsibility to the rest of society is where I define justice. Your statement is the kissing cousin to revenge if we want to play word games here.

If he kills your family, you also don't get to pull the switch or shut the cell door or kill his family or beat him up.

More examples?

I'm not saying restitution can't be considered, but only as a by product of justice. We are able to multi-task as a species. But it's not even in the list of main ingredients.

Edit: I'll give your post much more credence if you are just talking civil law........ In any case, your putting forth more of a semantics argument with the 'which term means what' stuff, I'm not really into those debates, it's not even a little fun.

Nice post

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I don't get it.

I wrote to LawRocket that I would have kept my keyboard still if I'd realized what he was doing, and I told him he was a shit-stirrer. Ian responded to that by saying he believes the word I'm looking for is "troll" and somehow he got me?

Okey-dokey. :S

rl

I call Bullshit.

Doesn't matter if you like animals more than people (which is not politically correct but somehow understandable). My bet though is you _would_ hesitate.

Well, there's no real way to tell unless I start apply for a job as an executioner. Somehow, I don't expect it will pay well enough (except in Texas, but I don't want to live in Texas) to see to my basic needs.

It's different if it's an "animal" of your own kind. Killing a homo sapiens is different than killing, for example, a felidae.
I assume you are sensitive, so I'm willing to bet that killing a human (even if they needed it) would haunt you forever.

Why is it different if it's an animal of my own kind? That makes no sense.

I have no way to prove this to you, but you have even less proof that your assessment is correct. I know myself pretty well, and you don't know me at all.

rl

Aren't you one of the crowd that calls 'troll' at him a lot?

He is, but it's usually a bit of offbeat humor combined with the normal baiting.

If not, my bad.