lawrocket

Execution of elderly man in California

Aren't you one of the crowd that calls 'troll' at him a lot?

He is, but it's usually a bit of offbeat humor combined with the normal baiting.

If not, my bad.

You're bad, all right. :P

But given that I'm not actually in this loop except as the commentator who called LawRocket a shit-stirrer...

...what I mean is, it wasn't as if Ian got a shot at calling me a troll.

And if you're seriously referring to what Ian does as "off-beat" humor, I think we need to have your meds checked right away. :S

:D:D
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Why is it different if it's an animal of my own kind? That makes no sense.

Because you have (or at least should have) some sort of identification with your kind, that is unless you don't perceive yourself as human. That sort of identification is (or at least should) be unique in comparison to any other living being. I think killing someone you identify with would be like killing a part of yourself.
That's an impact on _your_ life that has the potential to haunt and bother you forever. Well that doesn't need to make sense to you, but it does to me.

I have no way to prove this to you, but you have even less proof that your assessment is correct. I know myself pretty well, and you don't know me at all.

It's nothing personal and you don't need to prove that you'd feel the same whether you kill a human or an animal. (Well I could challenge you, but that would be kinda sick wouldn't it :ph34r:)

All I know is that you're human. I assume that you are more empathic than the so-called "sociopaths" who you condemn in other threads. Since you have the ability to be empathic with your fellow kind, my conclusion is that killing a human will have a significant effect on yourself. If it had not, you'd be as much of a "sociopath" in my book like anyone else who kills without a twinge of conscience.

Ich betrachte die Religion als Krankheit, als Quelle unnennbaren Elends für die menschliche Rasse.
(Bertrand Russell, engl. Philosoph, 1872-1970)

I think we need to have your meds checked right away. :S

:D:D

Checking....

four mints, jar of trail mix (simple M&Ms+peanuts+raisins, that's ALL, no dried cherries, or cashews, or 7 types of nuts or any other yuppie PERVERSION of REAL trail mix), handful of hershey's kisses, Advil, Asthma hockey puck, tylenol, tequila.

Nope, meds all check out.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Well, dude, if the meds check out and you're still talking crazy, it's euthanasia time. I've got a little bet with Falko up above (well, he says I'm full of shit), and this is a perfect opportunity to show him I mean business.

Any last requests? ;)

rl

P.S. What's an Asthma hockey puck?
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I assume that you are more empathic than the so-called "sociopaths" who you condemn in other threads. Since you have the ability to be empathic with your fellow kind, my conclusion is that killing a human will have a significant effect on yourself. If it had not, you'd be as much of a "sociopath" in my book like anyone else who kills without a twinge of conscience.

At the risk of winding you up again, I don't see psychopaths as being human, remember? They look human, but yada, yada, yada, we've been over this.

I would have no problem putting down a psychopath. I would sooner do that, than kill an animal.

Remember, we're not talking about me volunteering to kill the man on the street. We're talking about a condemned, cold-blooded killer. If my philosophical stance is that a blight on society needs to be wiped out so that it does not spread...

...never mind. This is the same old argument, and you and I know how it ends, and although I understand what you're saying, I don't agree, and you, in turn, are horrified by me.

Best to let it lie, because we're not going to get anywhere this time either.

rl

I do believe that. You are already a victim in your example. Too late, so sorry. They can pay you back what they stole if it's material, but that doesn't change the fact that you are the victim. Justice is keeping the criminal from doing it to someone else.

Restitution is a good thought, but if someone steal $25K from you and we catch him after he spends the money, they aren't going to change his sentence just to let him earn enough to pay you back.

If you catch him and he pays you back right then, do you let him go because your sense of 'justice' is satisfied? Then what do you consider our responsibility to the next person he steals from? That's sense of responsibility to the rest of society is where I define justice. Your statement is the kissing cousin to revenge if we want to play word games here.

If he kills your family, you also don't get to pull the switch or shut the cell door or kill his family or beat him up.

More examples?

I'm not saying restitution can't be considered, but only as a by product of justice. We are able to multi-task as a species. But it's not even in the list of main ingredients.

Actually, I think justice and prevention are 2 distinct things. Justice comes in the form of a judgement in reaction to someone misbehaving. I understand the intended value of punishment as a preventitive measure; but don't think it works for most of the criminal elements in our society. To them the crime is worth the time - getting caught and doing time is just part of the game for them. The only prevention in punishment is that of it being a stall tactic.

I see restitution as completely different than punishment. A criminal deserves to be punished for breaking the law; but they also need to be made to make the victim whole again if at all possible. They owe time for their crime, and they owe me $25K, plus interest. Sure I'm still a victim; but I'd rather be a victim with my $25K back in my pocket than without. Paying me back doesn't erase the crime.

I'm definitely OK with revenge; and yes, if a member of my family or someone I loved were killed; I'm pretty sure I'd pull the trigger or throw the switch or whatever. I can't say for certain, since I've yet to have that opportunity presented, but I think I would do it.

I'm not a nasty vindictive person (but then you know that), and I'm not trying to drag you into semantics - I just really don't see the current system working to prevent anything. Most crimes are by repeat offenders, whose sentence just creates a little career downtime. The sentence needs to be painful enough to truly be a deterrent; only then does punishment become preventive.

Here's another way of looking at it. How many people think our burgeoning prison population is because:

1 - Sentencing is not a deterrent
2 - The percentage of evil humans is on the rise
3 - Law enforcement has gotten that good at catching more criminals

It's been a while since I've seen the numbers (I'll look them up again later), but it would be good to fully understand why the percentage of our population in jails keeps going up. And you gotta keep asking WHY to every answer you come up with until you get to a fundamental cause(s); i.e. - Because there are more criminals. WHY? Because people feel the need to steal. WHY? Because . . .

Approach it as an equation to solve.

Apologies for straying.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Well, dude, if the meds check out and you're still talking crazy, it's euthanasia time. I've got a little bet with Falko up above (well, he says I'm full of shit), and this is a perfect opportunity to show him I mean business.

What? Who said, you're full of shit???:|
Hint pls? Ya know, English is not my mother language and all :S

Christel

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Any last requests? ;)

rl

P.S. What's an Asthma hockey puck?

Need a sharp knife? How about a dull one??
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

Christel

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2017920#2017920

To an English speaker (which he is not, but might as well be, since he understands colloquial English quite well), "I call bullshit" is just another way of saying "You're full of shit."

It's no big deal, but I have just managed to horrify him again, and because he used to like me, he still doesn't want to believe I'm bloodthirsty.

But under the stated criteria, I am.

rl

At the risk of winding you up again, I don't see psychopaths as being human, remember? They look human, but yada, yada, yada, we've been over this.

Reality is that psychopaths are as human as you and I. That reality would come to haunt you in the end, no matter how hard you tried to twist your perception of a human being into... well, into what? If they're not human, what are they to you anyway? Walking mindless pieces of flesh?

I would have no problem putting down a psychopath. I would sooner do that, than kill an animal.

Sounds like you have a beef with psychopaths. At least you don't miss any opportunity in this forum to point out your contempt.

If my philosophical stance is that a blight on society needs to be wiped out so that it does not spread...

The blight on society is not the person which is being wiped out, but the notion that blights on society can actually be wiped out instead of dealing with their causes.

...never mind. This is the same old argument, and you and I know how it ends, and although I understand what you're saying, I don't agree, and you, in turn, are horrified by me.

I'm not horrified, I just pity your misanthropy.

Ich betrachte die Religion als Krankheit, als Quelle unnennbaren Elends für die menschliche Rasse.

Christel

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2017920#2017920

To an English speaker, "I call bullshit" is just another way of saying "You're full of shit."

It's no big deal, but I have just managed to horrify him again, and because he used to like me, he still doesn't want to believe I'm bloodthirsty.

But under the stated criteria, I am.

rl

Girl, somehow you're just funny... . :ph34r: I know the difference between "I call B/S" and "...." very well. What you're trying to explain is B/S right now. In English and in German, RL.

Well, if you feel the need to, just go ahead. :|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

To an English speaker (which he is not, but might as well be, since he understands colloquial English quite well), "I call bullshit" is just another way of saying "You're full of shit."

Well a certain part of your bowel surely is, but I never said you are _full_ of shit. I just said you were _talking_ bullshit. B|
If that's not funny to you I apologize, germans have no humour you remember?

I believe that you believe you're bloodthirsty. Deep down inside you're actually quite nice and not bloodthirsty and maybe you even stop on the boardwalk to pick up a flower once in a while. :D:D:D

2 - RL - Ian got you clean with the "troll" comment. Zam, boom, owned......

I don't get it.

I wrote to LawRocket that I would have kept my keyboard still if I'd realized what he was doing, and I told him he was a shit-stirrer. Ian responded to that by saying he believes the word I'm looking for is "troll" and somehow he got me?

Okey-dokey. :S

rl

even i don't get that one? :S

Reality is that psychopaths are as human as you and I.

According to you, Falko. But there are professionals who do not agree.

That reality would come to haunt you in the end, no matter how hard you tried to twist your perception of a human being into... well, into what? If they're not human, what are they to you anyway? Walking mindless pieces of flesh?

Cows are not walking mindless pieces of flesh, pigs are not walking mindless pieces of flesh, chickens...well, maybe chickens are. But we kill and eat them.

Gorillas can be taught to communicate, and they use tools. But their slaughter by humans is legend.

I think these creatures are a lot more valuable than a psychopath.

Just wearing the skin of homo sapiens is not enough to make one human.

You persist in thinking of psychopaths as being mentally ill, but most of the current evidence says that they are born psychopathic. As many come from normal homes and families as not, and they are trouble from the day of their birth.

If you want to argue psychopathy, you need to understand what you're arguing about.

Sounds like you have a beef with psychopaths. At least you don't miss any opportunity in this forum to point out your contempt.

I don't think I've made any bones about having a beef with psychopaths.

The blight on society is not the person which is being wiped out, but the notion that blights on society can actually be wiped out instead of dealing with their causes.

The cause is inborn. What do you intend to do about that?

I'm not horrified, I just pity your misanthropy.

It's a waste to pity me. I, on the other hand, am saddened by the fact that you continue to argue something you obviously know nothing about.

rl

Woah!

RhondaL, pls stop. You will have to read your post next day again, ya know :S

There is no one attacking you, no one questioning your great discoveries about the existence of human beeings and...and and gorilla....

Man, you scare me, man!
:S

Mwahahahaha...

Y'know, if you want to make a specific argument, it would be helpful. As it is, while I'm sure you do superb sarcasm in German, it does not translate well into English.

Why, exactly, do you want me to stop? I will say the same thing tomorrow, because it's the same thing I said a few weeks ago. Further, I perceived no attack, and I do not feel that I was attacked, so the intimation that I am acting like I have been attacked is erroneous. You take all this much too seriously. It's argument, not a fist fight, and this is the appropriate forum the last time I looked.

As for the rest of your post, I'm sorry you're scared, but there is a very big ocean between us, so I think you have no reason to be afraid.

rl

Reality is that psychopaths are as human as you and I.

According to you, Falko. But there are professionals who do not agree.

They're human by definition (you know my principle.)
Professionals may talk about and categorize illnesses and their cures all day long, but I won't acknowledge anyone who arrogates to define what kind of behaviour qualifies a person as being "human". There is one concensus in the scientific world though, which is if one is born from human parents, they are human. That goes for psychopaths also.

You persist in thinking of psychopaths as being mentally ill, but most of the current evidence says that they are born psychopathic. As many come from normal homes and families as not, and they are trouble from the day of their birth.

If they are born psychopathic they are born with a mental illness. Many people are born with many illnesses and disabilities each day everywhere. Are they any less human than you or I?
Now I'm looking forward to THAT answer, and please be so kind as to answer with "yes" or "no" and don't dodge it. It's a simple question. I hope your answer is not something like "of course people that were born with a disability are NOT less human... unless they're psychopaths."

If you want to argue psychopathy, you need to understand what you're arguing about.

I'm not arguing a certain illness, I'm arguing a principle which is that every person is human no matter what their defectiveness is.

I don't think I've made any bones about having a beef with psychopaths.

Well posting misanthropy in this forum won't alleviate anything. All it does is potentially influence people to adapt your divisive thoughts.

The cause is inborn. What do you intend to do about that?

What kind of question is that? Of course I'd wipe them out, exterminate them... we germans are professionals, you remember? B| No just kidding... I don't intend to do anything more than what I already do, which is paying my taxes and my health insurance, both which ensures that there will be ongoing scientific health research.

It's a waste to pity me. I, on the other hand, am saddened by the fact that you continue to argue something you obviously know nothing about.

*beeep* ... the "you don't know what you're talking about" argument. :ph34r: Is that an argument at all or only an attack?

Sorry. We've done this once; and I refuse to do it again.

By definition, psychopathy is not mental illness. It is an inborn defect that features a complete lack of empathy for all living creatures. And all a psychopath ever does is inflict pain and suffering on those around them.

If you want to empathize with a creature that has no empathy, feel free. I won't try to talk you out of it; I just hope you never run into one.

rl

If you want to empathize with a creature that has no empathy, feel free. I won't try to talk you out of it; I just hope you never run into one.

If and when I ever do run into one I shall dine on his liver with fava beans washed down with a fine chianti.

Do you plan to invite me, or am I to miss out on all the fun?

rl