lisamariewillbe

Being pushed into experience...

Thanks to all the helpful advice. I am not just defensive for me, hell I have 5 jumps, even if Im good I still have 5 jumps, Im sucha baby at this sport, I do however feel that I have had the best instruction and do not in any way shape or form want their performance negated, regardless of my looks or lack there of.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

To go along with the people who grant you experiences that other, less attractive/cool/whatever people get, are folks who assume that everything you get is easy because of your looks/cool/whatever.

Your job is just to make sure that you get honest appraisals, use the opportunities you have (remember, luck isn't just having good things happen, it's knowing what to do with them), and learn how to appraise yourself honestly.

Everyone likes to think they're a natural at something, or at least a little better than average. That must leave a few people who really really suck, because there are a lot more above average people than below average :P.

I used to be a young blonde female skydiver. I solved the problem by being unapproachable and a little shy, and by not being very cool at all :D.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The few on here that actually know me, know I may be cute, but I am boring and frigid lol ...

Thank you very much for your kind words. Often times I do realize that beauty can be mistaken and that life can be easier but I do not have beauty and its definitly not the best thing about me being at a DZ, the best thing about me at a DZ is the fact I try to absorb all I can and learn at every opp.

hell I have 5 jumps, even if Im good I still have 5 jumps

Heh, oh trust me, at 5 jumps you're not any good. I have over 200 and still suck. But even if you suck, they still let you jump out of the planes so don't sweat it.

isnt that great ... I hope to one day that I will not suck, but alas I probley will, my greatest skill at this point besides arching my ass off out of fear of a uncontrollable spin is that I am good at picking out which beer to bring with me to the DZ

Thats one thing I like about this sport, theres always a way to be better, I sit and listen to people with a shit load of jumps getting advice from others with even a bigger shit load of jumps. Its a humbling sport over all.

Lisa, since the sport is so male dominated, women that are remotely attractive do get noticed. As a student I heard "your a natrual" so many times too! And "great arch" ugggghhh! I just got my A lisence on Sat., and now is the tricky part for me, who do I trust in the air? I have friends that have 3000 plus jumps that I am thinking that I don't have the experience to handle his possible stupidity in the air. Ask around about someone before you trust their ability, there are people with thousands of jumps, that are dangerous in the air, and have no business being there. Worry about AFF, and getting lisenced first, then do some solos just to get even more comfortable, its really nice to enjoy some solitude in the air, no pressure, just you, a view and whatever you want to do! Wait til you feel ready to jump with others and in the begining choose carefully. My thought is I'm still pretty dangerous as a newbie, I want to jump with someone that can not only, watchout for me (don't have me doing something way beyond my ability), but watchout for themself as well (my airspace awareness blinders are still in the process of opening up) Good luck!

Muff Brother 3723

That was part of my original intent of this thread. I hate that I feel people are risking theirselves by wanting to jump with me, when I barely know anything in this sport.

I do know that I will not be stupid and jump if I have any quams at all, regardless if I stay on the ground because of the wind, the jump or the people that are in the air with me.

At this rate I dont know what would be worse, me dying or my actions in the air taking another life. I would never be the same.

If it is my looks that get me this attention, then I will adjust how and when I trust people a bit different. On the ground I will be happy to talk and learn from those more experience but never want someone to go in the air with me when I am unsafe, I am so new its almost hard to even say that there is anything safe about me, except that I try to follow directions and thankfully its a big sky people can see the newbie under the 1000 sq foot canopy... lol

Doing coach jumps or even on AFF, I would say but what if I kick you by accident or something? And they tell me as INST. they are taught to look for that and be more aware. So now that non-instructers are telling me they want to make a jump with me, I still worry, but what if I kick you or run into you or something. I understand your fears because I have them too! Right now I am just going to go with those I trust, friends with coaches ratings that will do unoffical coach type jumps with me, and keep it simple, 2 ways, solos, tracking dives, etc.

Muff Brother 3723

. I'm a guy and I know what its like out there. Its wierd here in the UK. You see instructors salivating over newbie chicks, and scowling and yelling at newbie guys.

Your instructors are unprofessional. Yelling at any student shows a lack of ability on the instructor's part. And of course, we all like to be around a good looking woman, but , jeez guys, try to act like it's not the first time. Sounds like they are not getting laid anyway. :P

Here's the situation, as it is (from what I can see), put as bluntly as possible. Please don't take any offense to this, I'm just trying to be straight with you.

The guy to girl ratio in this sport is a tremendous difference. I've seen your pictures, and you're very cute. So take these two facts, put them together, and you get every guy on the dz offering kiss passes, coach dives, etc. etc. etc....most of the time unfortunately only being concerned about 20% with teaching you something and 80% with hooking up with a cute skychick. Take note this is not the case with everybody, but the unfortunate vast majority. Ask any girl who jumps regularly.

My advice is this....if you can't determine what's safe and what isn't while you're out at the dz, ask somebody with a couple thousand jumps, like an instructor and/or a freefly coach. Don't listen when guys with 200 jumps say "Oh it'll be fine, I've done this a lot". Just use your best judgement, and if you're not sure, ask somebody you know has the experience to know the right answer.

Good luck, have fun, and welcome to our wonderful addiction. :)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

but im to tall and sarcastic which you cant see in pictures, they can like the look but are disappointed when I open my mouth....hmmm that doesnt sound right lol.

Anyways thank you everyone that gave me productive advice, it is what I was assuming anyways, I just wanted to clerify that my line of thinking was right.

youve been in skydiving longer then Ive been alive wow. I dont even know how many I have until Im done with my training, Ive had modified jumps because of varies reasons but Im hoping I can get it done SOON >>>>>>

The guy to girl ratio in this sport is a tremendous difference. I've seen your pictures, and you're very cute. So take these two facts, put them together, and you get every guy on the dz offering kiss passes, coach dives, etc. etc. etc....most of the time unfortunately only being concerned about 20% with teaching you something and 80% with hooking up with a cute skychick. Take note this is not the case with everybody, but the unfortunate vast majority. Ask any girl who jumps regularly.

OK, yeah this is probably true to an extent... but... gosh you make it sound like all men in this sport are a bunch of horny dogs that merely want to hump the next cute little poodle that walks by... Yeah there are some dogs out there... but not everyone is like that. :S

I know I don't want to jump every hot sky chick I see at the DZ... or for that matter every hottie I see walking down the street... I want to get to know someone first... and I wouldn't be offended if someone wasn't comfortable jumping with me because I only have a little over a hundred jumps.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

youve been in skydiving longer then Ive been alive wow

ohhh... I bet that one hurt... did it John? ;)

Take all this dicussion with some grain of salt Lisa.

It may be the pretty factor, it may be the outgoing factor... We dont know you.

And trust your gut feeling. If you think someone is genuine and trying to help and is professional in his/her attitude, then, there is a good chance your panties arent his/hers main objective.

This is a fun sport, witha big dose of socializing!
Remster

OK, yeah this is probably true to an extent... but... gosh you make it sound like all men in this sport are a bunch of horny dogs that merely want to hump the next cute little poodle that walks by... Yeah there are some dogs out there... but not everyone is like that. :S

I know I don't want to jump every hot sky chick I see at the DZ... or for that matter every hottie I see walking down the street... I want to get to know someone first... and I wouldn't be offended if someone wasn't comfortable jumping with me because I only have a little over a hundred jumps.

Scott

Like I said in my original post.....not all the guys on the dz are like that, but most of the time, it's natural in that kind of environment for guys to be doing what they can to prove themselves and try to get with the cute skygirlie. Come on, you can't say you've never seen it happen before.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Take all this dicussion with some grain of salt Lisa.

It may be the pretty factor, it may be the outgoing factor... We dont know you.

And trust your gut feeling. If you think someone is genuine and trying to help and is professional in his/her attitude, then, there is a good chance your panties arent his/hers main objective.

This is a fun sport, witha big dose of socializing!

Good call. Some of these post would make any woman completely cynical every time someone asked her to dive with them. It's way over the top.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

- The dive is at a level targeted for someone with more experience or the dive has you 'stay in place - we will turn points around you' the entire time. Either way you get cheated. Ditto with the women only comment. Men won't engineer a dive where another new man 'stays put' and does nothing, but they frequently do it for new women jumpers. .

That one above is nuts. We frequently take up a newbie and give them very little or no moves (male or female) - it's typically the first dive we take them on. Holding your place in the sky is the single biggest skill everyone should learn and very few actually learn. Also, if I take a newbie for the first time along with two of my teammates the newbie will normally get very-small-or-no-moves, that newbie will get a jump with tons of points and a lot happening for them to process. It may very well be the best dive they've ever done and will get them excited about jumping at a more advanced skill level. I highly recommend it.

I think it's pretty clear for a woman with her eyes open to figure out the subtle clues of a leech being insincere with his attentions. That stuff may be clues, but I'd not put any of it in that grouping specifically.

Specifically -
- The other(s) say you stay where you are at break-off,... If a new jumper cannot be responsible for a turn and track, they have no business being on any type of recreational load. good point on the end, but frequently done for anyone, not just females
-
- Someone wants a kiss-pass at break-off and has a grip on you. good one, but I've seen men do that to men to freak them out - it's always a safety issue, mostly a gender one though, good one-

- 'I didn't want to confuse you or overload you. or I know you cannot do front floater. or etc' not gender specific at all and very situation on whether it's a good idea or a bad idea
-
- the dive has you 'stay in place - we will turn points around you' I spoke to that
-
- The organizer(s) never ask you if you feel comfortable with the dive or ask what altitude you want to break-off at. Bad choice on the instructor's part with the comfort thing, you can leave any time you want on a dive though. Not gender specific, just bad organizing
-
- The organizer(s) do not mention anything about gear checks, gear awareness during climbout, break off, tracking or canopy control. scary and unsafe regardless of gender

- You get a slot that is 'not required' for the dive to proceed. IOW, if you do not make it into your slot, they will key and proceed to the following points.scary and very unsafe regardless of gender

Interesting list, but each of those could be attributed to people with good intentions also. I've seen each one done for both genders. Maybe your specific DZ has a real sexism and safety problems.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Come on, you can't say you've never seen it happen before.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen... I was merely pointing out that it isn't so clear cut... I have female friends that I really like at the DZ but that doesn't mean that I only want to jump with them because I'm trying to score with them... :S...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

The other(s) say you stay where you are at break-off, we'll track away from you. I have seen this philosophy used on many, many women jumpers, but never with a male jumper. It happened 20-30 years ago and it still happens today. If a new jumper cannot be responsible for a turn and track, they have no business being on any type of recreational load.

If you've never seen that happen to a guy jumper, you're not paying attention. I had this done to me at least a handful of times, and I'm fat, bald, and a guy.

- Information is withheld from you. IOW, the other jumper(s) do not explain how to deal with this, that or the other thing. They will compensate and cheat you out of a learning experience. In a post dive they might say something like 'I didn't want to confuse you or overload you. or I know you cannot do front floater. or etc' I have only seen this used with new women jumpers, never men jumpers.

I've had this one, too. I've given it to both genders.

You get a slot that is 'not required' for the dive to proceed. IOW, if you do not make it into your slot, they will key and proceed to the following points. This means that you may be low, or zooming around or whatever. In any case, you are not benefiting from the dive. This can also become a major safety hazard. There was a woman with about 20 jumps that was put out last on a 20-way. The organizers' thinking was that if she didn't make it in - no big deal. She collided with another jumper during the dive to the formation. She was knocked out and went in (BC days). The other jumper suffered a broken leg/pelvis and was out for a year or so.

I often got this one, even when I had several hundred jumps, because I was a heavy guy who sometimes had trouble going low. Eventually I stopped doing RW.

Jan, I really think you need to check yourself. Your commentary is not all you think it is.

I have no doubt that certain women are treated differently in this sport, but this "checklist" you've come up with is a crock of shit.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.