blitzkrieg

WELCOME TO THE USA!!!

Guess what, with this train of thought you will be forced to communicate with those that dont speak english because they will eventually over run us.***

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Is it just me or is this just too funny.
They will over take us. What does that mean.
You want to communicate with some one but in order to do so you want them to speak your language.

It is a free country you don't have to talk to any one you don't want to. You go to a Spanish store and they don't speak English simple leave take your business elsewhere. No one is making you learn any thing.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Guess what, with this train of thought you will be forced to communicate with those that dont speak english because they will eventually over run us.

I doubt it. It seems that the trend is that the next generation (born in the US) speaks English, and tends to lose the parents' native language in the process.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Guess what, with this train of thought you will be forced to communicate with those that dont speak english because they will eventually over run us.

It sounds like they're scared of US "foreigners", Darius. :P

I speak english and spanish fluently (and can follow italian and portuguese), and it has only ever helped me within many parts of both my personal and professional life. I think that only wanting to speak one language is quite limiting, but if that is what someone wants to do, that is none of my concern. Personally, I feel that it is best to try to expand one's mind and be open to differing cultures. I find everyone's differences so interesting and feel that I can learn something from any culture.

Also, once upon a time, most everyone's ancestors were considered "foreigners". Think of how they must have been treated back when they first went to their new homes. Why continue with the same mistakes of making the newer ethnic groups feel unwanted or unaccepted?

what happens when I go to the DMV (A government agency) and none of them speak english????reply]

I agree that is wrong, but I have never witnessed a government agency where the people did not speak English. I have seen many with accents but non who could not speak the language.

I also know many immigrants who speak much better English than some of the people born in the US from American parents...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

how many times have you ordered a hamburger with ketchup, mustard and pickles at a drive thru only to receive a cheeseburger with tomatoes and lettuce? Part of this can be attributed to the intelligence of a person working at a fast food window but a part can also be contributed to the language barrier.

My fucking favorite radio station (whfs in DC) just switched over to an all spanish format (dj's also) yesterday. WHFS has been on the air for over 20 years. This is a sign of times to come. Corporate America makes it way to easy not to learn the language. It is driven by greed. This is happening all over the country. Why not have a spanish station with english speaking dj's so english speaking people could understand it also? I'll tell you why...because the spanish population they are catering to can't understand english...WE MAKE IT WAY TO EASY FOR PEOPLE NOT TO LEARN THE LANGUAGE...IT IS BULLSHIT.

I agree on the language part of your post.
I have lived in 5 different countries so far and I the first thing I always did was try to learn the language.
But I also saw that many US Citizens who lived abroad never tried to learn the local language.
I lived in Brazil and knew Americans who didn’t speak Portuguese after 7 years in the country.
I live now in Mexico and know Americans who don’t speak Spanish after 5 years in the countries.
I think this is because most of the people speak English and as an US or English Citizen you can survive without learning the local language.
But I also find it arrogant if someone does not at least try to learn the language!

Same goes for culture and politics. I think you have to at least understand the culture or politics of the country you live in. You don’t have to find it OK but you have to know it.
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

I asked this question but did not get an answer.

What’s is the American culture?

The American culture is different from home to home. Every family has a different way they do things, because their ancestors were different.
Even the Christmas meal that people make is different from family to family.
I think it’s a good thing life would be very boring if we were all the same. I don't see why people get paranoid.

What are they afraid of losing? I guess I just don’t get it.

I think this is because most of the people speak English and as an US or English Citizen you can survive without learning the local language.
But I also find it arrogant if someone does not at least try to learn the language!

Same goes for culture and politics. I think you have to at least understand the culture or politics of the country you live in. You don’t have to find it OK but you have to know it.

Excellent post. Agreed for both people coming to North America, and agreed with people who go from North America to other countries to live.

I'm sorry that your favorite radio station is gone, but are you seriously complaining that the Spanish station is in Spanish? That, I don't understand. I think people need to be more accepting of differences, and this just sounds like nationalism at its most intolerant. Someone was complaining about Spanish being on the ATM . . . I'm fucking grateful that when I go to Europe, English is an option on the screen.

Maybe it's time we try to branch out and learn another language or two, so we can at least start catching up to countries where 50% of their inhabitants speak 3 . . . The US is the most egotistical industrialized nation I'm aware of.

Guess what, with this train of thought you will be forced to communicate with those that dont speak english because they will eventually over run us.***

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Is it just me or is this just too funny.
They will over take us. What does that mean.
You want to communicate with some one but in order to do so you want them to speak your language.

It is a free country you don't have to talk to any one you don't want to. You go to a Spanish store and they don't speak English simple leave take your business elsewhere. No one is making you learn any thing.

Darius, isnt this your post in this thread of mine from a couple of months ago admitting that non english speaking people "get on your nerves"?

your post is a couple down on the link

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1118124;search_string=press%201;#1118124

I'm sorry that your favorite radio station is gone, but are you seriously complaining that the Spanish station is in Spanish? That, I don't understand. I think people need to be more accepting of differences, and this just sounds like nationalism at its most intolerant. Someone was complaining about Spanish being on the ATM . . . I'm fucking grateful that when I go to Europe, English is an option on the screen.

Maybe it's time we try to branch out and learn another language or two, so we can at least start catching up to countries where 50% of their inhabitants speak 3 . . . The US is the most egotistical industrialized nation I'm aware of.

That was me complaining about the ATM, as a matter of fact i still bitch about it every time i go to an ATM.

I think people here are missing the point. It is OK for people to speak another language, as long as they can communicate the basics in english.

The problem is with the people that do not even attempt to learn the language and then expect to be catered to because of that fact (ie - radio stations, atms, phone prompts). That is bullshit....there was a band around a while ago called SOD. They had an album titled SPEAK ENGLISH OR DIE...not a bad motto if you ask me. (that was a joke btw for all you nitpickers)

Ok, well, if an ATM and a radio station get your panties in a wad, then I guess you'll just have to deal with that. [:/]

When people come over here, they tend to cling to people they have something in common with-- i.e. people from their own country, as would most people. If they're past school age, they might not have English-speaking peers to learn from, especially if they're doing manual labor for a living, communicating only with their law-breaking employer and fellow immigrants. Where do you want them to learn English?

You go to a Spanish store and they don't speak English simple leave take your business elsewhere. No one is making you learn any thing.

I was in Miami last November. Guess what? The convenience store clerk told me that she didn't speak any English. Actually, many do, but just refuse to.

Miami has created an interesting reverse-discrimination technique. Since the population of Miami has so many Spanish speakers, a lot of jobs require you to be bi-lingual. The catch is, if you are not Hispanic, your Spanish will not be good enough (or some other reason). It is difficult for Non-Hispanics to get jobs in many places there, the govt especially.

Where do you want them to learn English?

Instead of spending all their money on stickers that they plaster on the side of their cars and spoilers that serve absolutely no purpose perhaps they could sign up for an english as a second language course.

Once again, why the fuck should i have to suggest where they learn the language? I wouldnt expect anybody in Turkey to tell me where to learn their language. I would show a little initiative and common courtesy and do it myself. Once again, we are to accepting of the fact and make WAY to many excuses for these people.

LEARN THE LANGUAGE FOR GODS SAKE!!!

how many times have you ordered a hamburger with ketchup, mustard and pickles at a drive thru only to receive a cheeseburger with tomatoes and lettuce? Part of this can be contributed to the intelligence of a person working at a fast food window but a part can also be contributed to the language barrier.

My fucking favorite radio station (whfs in DC) just switched over to an all spanish format (dj's also) yesterday. WHFS has been on the air for over 20 years. This is a sign of times to come. Corporate America makes it way to easy not to learn the language. It is driven by greed. This is happening all over the country. Why not have a spanish station with english speaking dj's so english speaking people could understand it also? I'll tell you why...because the spanish population they are catering to can't understand english...WE MAKE IT WAY TO EASY FOR PEOPLE NOT TO LEARN THE LANGUAGE...IT IS BULLSHIT.

Ok here is a question for you.
Do you think if the hamburger place you speak of had two applicants for the same job both with the same work ethic and one spoke better English who do you think would get the job?

Now why do you think we have a lot of foreigners do what I would consider the shit jobs. Simple because we don’t want to do them. We are too lazy.
The truth is the greedy business men/woman who for the most part are white take advantage of the foreigners who come to this country. The people who come to this country mostly are trying to escape from War, poverty, or have political reasons. So who is the Evil being here? I used to work as a landscaper when I was going threw school one of my many jobs. I was the only guy on the crew who spoke English and was not Latino. The boss was white why do you think he didn’t hire white guys? Simple they know their rights. They want their lunch brakes, health benefits, over time, and you get enough of them they want a union.
So the main problem is not the foreigners but our business culture. I would take my frustration and complaints to them.

Where do you want them to learn English?

Instead of spending all their money on stickers that they plaster on the side of their cars and spoilers that serve absolutely no purpose perhaps they could sign up for an english as a second language course.

What a silly stereotype. I hate stickers.

Btw, I learned english when I was a little baby/toddler from watching educational television shows, such as Sesame Street, The Electric Company and Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. When I went to pre-school at age 2 and 1/2, I was able to speak it better than most of the other toddlers. Same for my brother.

That said...everyone is different, and I cannot imagine that it is easy for everyone learning a new language. I was quite young when I first began to listen to the english language, so I was able to learn both languages fluently. My parents who came over in their early thirties have taken all sorts of ESL classes, but their first language (of preference) will always be spanish. This doesn't mean that they do not speak english, but this means that they "think" in spanish.

Personally, my language of preference is actually english. I "think" in english, so I always prefer to read and write in english. Does that make sense? It also used to bother me to hear "for spanish, please press 1", but it doesn't now. I have realized that this doesn't mean that all the people who use that option don't know how to or cannot speak english. It only means that they feel more comfortable when speaking in that language, as I would feel more comfortable when speaking in or reading or listening in english.

Go learn ASL sometime so you can communicate with the Deaf. Its an experience. I tried to learn a few times and just could'nt get my brain around it. I could speak minor sentences in French, but barely enough to order food at McDonalds. Clearly not enough to actually ask for directions, understand them, and hold even a 3 minute conversation in French.

Its a whole lot harder then just saying "Go learn it!".

I do think that for all legal and government functions should be in English.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

There are many things that get on my nerves. Just not getting a live person on the phone and having to press any buttons gets on my nerves.

But that doesn't mean I agree whit what you are saying.