GARYC24

CHRISTmas

They say the tree is a phallic symbol.
So, what's under your Christmas dick this year ? :D
-

LMAO!! Well, having today diagnosticated myself a pretty bad case of diarrea, it is pretty safe to assume that this year I will have behind my christmas dick a bunch of toilet paper rolls.

Happy winter solstice to all of you...

Besides the removal of Christ from Christmas, I think another reason for the boycott is the political correctness issue. The majority must suffer due to the complaints of the minority.

PS. Now that everyone has spent their 10 minutes researching the history of Christmas on Google and then spitting out the conflicting data within this thread, I'll repeat my statement from an early post - There is no other reason for Christmas than Christ's birth.

But the idea of boycotting stores because they don't conform to a religious ideal of the season is un-American

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Been to a world history class lately?

Ever hear of anything called winter solstice?

That just relates to timing, not the reason behind the celebration.

Wrong, that is precisely the reason.

You weren't paying attention in class - Jesus was born in the Spring.

The Yule festival, occurring at the Winter Solstice, was mutated into a Christian form for political reasons - retaining most of the existing rituals.

The veracity of your beliefs does not change the origins of the festival.

Blue skies,

Winsor

I decorate during the holidays, I give gifts, make turkey and taters, hell, I'll even sing a carol or two. Christ takes no part of my Christmas or "Holiday", yet I still manage to enjoy the season and spread the love as much as anyone else. I am not celebrating Christ, I'm celebrating life.

In my experience, that's what virtually everyone I know does, regardless of the particulars of their beliefs or lack thereof.

It's just that someone always posts something to the effect that it's purely a Christian holiday, or suggests that no one would be celebrating at all if it weren't for Christ.

Well that's just not true.
When various earlier origins to the holidays are pointed out, *some* Christians take it as an attack. I don't think that's usually the intent, but since predictions of persecution are part of their faith, I suppose it's understandable that they misinterpret it. :)
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

no its a fact.. the Pagan holidays (and the dates specifically) were ursuped by the Christian church to help in the conversion of the 'heathen' tribes...

ignoring history doesnt change it..