AggieDave

Its official, PETA is full of idiots

Hahahaha!!! I love those posters! Nicely done!

Seriously though, there's a reason we have the teeth we do, just like there's a reason fish nourish us: WE'RE CARNIVORES FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!! We're supposed to eat Nemo and Wilbur and Bessie and Chicken Little. It's how we grow up big and strong.

PETA should change their name to PITA.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Here's an even better one for you. PETA has full disclosure of financial statements since they are a non-profit. Penn & Teller did a Bullshit story on them, they found out PETA took in 4700 strays one year and only adopted out a few hundred. The remaining strays were put-down. The manner in which they were put down was not too humane either. They basically found out PETA has a huge ass freezer, kindof like the ones butchers use. Penn and Teller also showed PETA's offices. WOW, pretty nice place for a non-profit org.

You know, I've never met a meat eater whose eyes have gone blurry and whose skin and nails have gone brittle and discolored.

Man, vegans were the best diet inducement for me at college. Just seeing the sick things they did to themselves curbed my appetite very effectively.

Of course, since I skipped lunch on seeing htem, I generally amde up for it by treating myself to a nice big chuck of charred animal flesh, or maybe some boiled alive sea-life. Mmm-mmm good.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Man, vegans were the best diet inducement for me at college. Just seeing the sick things they did to themselves curbed my appetite very effectively.

Absolutly!!! I noticed a long time ago that these Vegans were probably the most sickly and unhealthy people I knew....
=========Shaun ==========

I hope they keep right on doing what they're doing. It helps to maintain their illegitimacy with the vast majority of Americans. Nobody has to fight them off. They do a great job of defeating themselves with their own ridiculousness. Not even an issue here. :D

In these parts they picket the annual rodeo event at the Cow (gasp) Palace. And they vandalize the foie gras establishment.

PETA is whacked, no doubt.

But, I haven't eaten meat for about 20 years. I stopped not because of how animals are treated, and I still admit that it smells and 'would' taste good. I just find it not appealing to eat for aesthetic reasons I guess. Plus, after reading the Jungle by Upton Sinclair I did some more research and it just is revolting to think of eating it. I don't push my way on others, don't mention it to others unless the subject comes up on its own.

It isn't how animals are treated that bothers some that don't eat meat. Ever known someone who just can't stand eating chicken off the bone?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

PETA should change their name to PITA.

And they should be consumed with Gyros, Tziki sauce, tomatoes, and onions....

I was actually meaning "Pain In The Ass", but that works too, I guess! :D

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Actually, I think we're omnivores.
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/encyclopaedia/hutchinson/m0006851.html

I don't know much about PETA, but aren't they advocating the humane killing of animals, fish etc. rather than actually becoming vegetarian?

They advocate militant vegetarianism/veganism. Their leader is a nutjob that has gone on record as saying a baby is no more important than a puppy or a kitten.

Actually, I think we're omnivores.

Well, yes, but carnivore is a sub-set of omnivore, and since they don't have a problem with eating everything but meat, I singled out the flesh-tearing and grinding aspect of our anatomies. B|

Well, yes, but carnivore is a sub-set of omnivore, and since they don't have a problem with eating everything but meat, I singled out the flesh-tearing and grinding aspect of our anatomies. B|

Ah ha! I see. I was being pedantic. ;)

Although, having said that and getting right into pedant mode, I thought carnivore, omnivore and herbivore were discrete groups. Is that not correct?
Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

Ah ha! I see. I was being pedantic. ;)

Although, having said that and getting right into pedant mode, I thought carnivore, omnivore and herbivore were discrete groups. Is that not correct?

My understanding is that omnivore = carnivore + herbivore. They eat everything. Carnivores eat meat (lions, tigers), herbivores eat plants (koalas, sheep) and omnivores eat it all, including other carnivores and herbivores.

Or am I totally missing something? ;):)

Hmm, methinks, and I could well be wrong, that an omnivore is its own set, simply because the physiologies are completely distinct between the three groups. An omnivore is not a combination of carnivore and herbivore, but has a completely different physiology which enables it to use both plant or animal material in digestion, not one of the other.

I dunno, I'm guessing here! ;)
Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

>I singled out the flesh-tearing and grinding aspect of our anatomies.

We don't really have much in the way of a predator's mouth. (Try to eat a dead rabbit with just your mouth.) Our teeth and jaw are much closer to an herbivore's than a carnivore's, and our digestive system is a lot better adapted to eating plants than animals. We started out as herbivores, and then as we learned to hunt, we gradually started adapting to be able to eat meat. The problem is that once we started to learn to hunt we started with societies, and society protects its weakest members and slows down evolution.

Thus we end up as partially adapted omnivores, with most of our herbivore equipment still intact. In some ways this is a good thing, since we can eat almost anything, and it's a lot easier for an herbivore to eat meat than the other way around. In some ways this is bad, since our digestive systems are not set up for a diet heavy in meat and fat - that's one reason we have such a problem with obesity and heart disease. It's also a reason it's easy for food to make us sick, since we do not have the incredibly low pH (i.e. acidic) stomachs of carnivores/carrion eaters.

There are a lot of other characteristics of humans that put them much farther towards herbivores than carnivores. We can't detoxify vitamin A like carnivores can; that means eating certain body parts (livers) can make us sick. We can break down carbohydrates with enzymes in our saliva; that's a charateristic of herbivores. We have a small stomach and a massive set of intestines/secondary digestive locations (like the duodenum) which is classic herbivore, and we need fiber for normal digestion like an herbivore.

What this means in the end is that we evolved as herbivores that could supplement their diets with meat; this was a big advantage over animals that had a fixed diet. Today, a lot of people have medical problems because they basically eat too much meat, and their bodies have a hard time dealing with that. That's not to say meat is bad, but it's hard for our bodies to handle a lot of it because of their evolutionary history.

Geez Bill, get all technical on me, why dontcha? ;)

Ripple, you thought you were being pedantic? :D

My point was simply that we have canine teeth and molars and I can tear through a filet minon like a lioness eating a baby giraffe (though I mostly choose to be decorous by using knife and fork), and that furthermore, the iron and other minerals and vitamins are nourishing to me, plus it tastes damn good. If that doesn't make me a carnivore, I don't know what would.

Not to say I don't love a nice leafy salad with my steak. :)
By the way y'all, back to what Bill said, don't ever eat a polar bear's liver. It'll mess you up. :o

>Why? A dog or cat will use its paws as well.

OK, your mouth and two sticks.

>Compare intestinal lengths in relation to body size of humans to
>carnivores and herbivores. Ours are much closer to the ratio of carnivores.

??? Carnivore intestines are 3-6 times torso length, and herbivore intestines are 8-12 times torso length. Our intestines measure around 25 feet; that's around 7 times torso length. Carnivore intestines are smooth; herbivore intestines are sacculated and convoluted.

>My point was simply that we have canine teeth and molars and I can tear
> through a filet minon like a lioness eating a baby giraffe . . .

Well, eating a cooked steak with a knife and fork (and chewing it!) is pretty far from anything a lion does. As a better comparison to a carnivore, take a raw side of beef and try to take a bite out of it - then swallow without chewing.

>and that furthermore, the iron and other minerals and vitamins are
> nourishing to me, plus it tastes damn good. If that doesn't make me a
> carnivore, I don't know what would.

A rabbit can eat meat if it's ground up and put in his food; doesn't make him a carnivore. It makes him an artificial omnivore at best. He will likely have problems if he eats a lot of it since his system isn't set up for it. Humans have problems too if they eat too much meat and fat.