AggieDave

Its official, PETA is full of idiots

I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried...seriously.

CLICKY

Sympathy for the guppy: PETA campaign pitches fish as smart and sensitive

DAVID CRARY, AP National Writer
(11-16) 11:26 PST NEW YORK (AP) --

Touting tofu chowder and vegetarian sushi as alternatives, animal-rights activists have launched a novel campaign arguing that fish -- contrary to stereotype -- are intelligent, sensitive animals no more deserving of being eaten than a pet dog or cat.

Called the Fish Empathy Project, the campaign reflects a strategy shift by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals as it challenges a diet component widely viewed as nutritious and uncontroversial.

"No one would ever put a hook through a dog's or cat's mouth," said Bruce Friedrich, PETA's director of vegan outreach. "Once people start to understand that fish, although they come in different packaging, are just as intelligent, they'll stop eating them."

The campaign is in its infancy and will face broad skepticism. Major groups such as the American Heart Association recommend fish as part of a healthy diet; some academics say it is wrong to portray the intelligence and pain sensitivity of fish as comparable to mammals.

"Fish are very complex organisms that do all sorts of fascinating things," said University of Wyoming neuroscientist James Rose. "But to suggest they know they what's happening to them and worry about it, that's just not the case."

PETA, headquartered in Norfolk, Va., has campaigned for years against sport fishing, challenging claims by Rose and others that fish caught by anglers do not feel pain. PETA also has joined other critics in decrying the high levels of mercury or other toxins in many fish and the pollution discharged by many fish farms.

The Empathy Project is a departure in two respects -- attempting to depict the standard practices of commercial fishing as cruel and seeking to convince consumers that there are ethical reasons for not eating fish.

"Fish are so misunderstood because they're so far removed from our daily lives," said Karin Robertson, 24, the Empathy Project manager and daughter of an Indiana fisheries biologist. "They're such interesting, fascinating individuals, yet they're so incredibly abused."

The project was inspired by several recent scientific studies -- widely reported in Britain but little-noticed in the United States -- detailing facets of fish intelligence.

Oxford University researcher Theresa Burt de Perera, for example, reported that the blind Mexican cave fish is able to interpret water pressure changes to construct a detailed mental map of its surroundings.

"Most people dismiss fish as dimwitted pea-brains. ... Yet this is a great fallacy," wrote University of Edinburgh biologist Culum Brown in the June edition of New Scientist. "In many areas, such as memory, their cognitive powers match or exceed those of 'higher' vertebrates, including non-human primates."

Chris Glass of the Manomet Center for Conservation Sciences in Massachusetts led another recent study, showing how North Sea haddock developed abilities to avoid trawlers' nets.

"There's no doubt that fish of all shapes and forms are capable of learning fairly complex tasks," Glass said. "They can learn from their environment and experience."

Yet Glass declined to endorse the don't-eat-fish appeals.

"We don't want to be caught between warring factions," he said. "We're interested in helping the fisheries industry do a responsible job."

To press their argument, PETA activists plan demonstrations starting next month at selected seafood restaurants nationwide. PETA also will urge changes in commercial fishing practices, for example proposing that trawler crews stun fish before cutting them up.

Friedrich questioned why there is popular support for sparing marine mammals -- dolphins and porpoises -- yet minimal concern for species like tuna, "whose suffering would warrant felony animal cruelty charges if they were mammals."

Fish-welfare rules would be a new realm for U.S. commercial fishermen. The National Fisheries Institute, which represents them, has pledged to help sustain fish stocks but its members have never faced cruelty regulations regarding their catch.

"It's irresponsible to discourage people from eating fish at a time when doctors and dietitians advise eating it twice a week," said institute president John Connelly. "If anything, we should be eating more fish."

Friedrich acknowledges the difficulty of changing long-held customs, but thinks his project is worthwhile. "We'd rather go too far than not far enough," he said.

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Actually, no I wouldn't. The only fish I tend to eat is really really spicey deeeeeep fried catfish, sushi or dolphin in a can (tuna). I'm not a big fish eater, however, I still think PETA is proving themselves to be far beyond reasonable and proving themselves as the extremist group they are with positions like this.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Actually, no I wouldn't. The only fish I tend to eat is really really spicey deeeeeep fried catfish, sushi or dolphin in a can (tuna). I'm not a big fish eater, however, I still think PETA is proving themselves to be far beyond reasonable and proving themselves as the extremist group they are with positions like this.

Yep, nothing better than some fresh mahi mahi blacked with a few drops of lime.

PETA proved themselves to be far beyond reasonable a long time ago.

PETA, headquartered in Norfolk, Va., has campaigned for years against sport fishing, challenging claims by Rose and others that fish caught by anglers do not feel pain. PETA also has joined other critics in decrying the high levels of mercury or other toxins in many fish and the pollution discharged by many fish farms.

Man, this brings back memories. While I was stationed in Norfolk, one of my favorite morning shows was Tommy and Rumble. Every year they would have the "Annual Peta Bass Fishing competition". If the title didn't piss off Peta, definitely the fishing right next to their building did.(Peta is on the Waterfront). There always was people willing to compete.:D:D

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

i don't agree with the not eating fish part, but if scientific evidence shows that fish suffer unnecessarily being caught in the manner they are, why is it idiotic to make people aware of that?

I think they have a fair point: people are bound by law to treat animals, even ones bred for food, with a certain level of humanity. So far fish are excluded. If it's ok to put a fish through considerable suffering, why are there laws protecting the furry creatures from the same fate?

(caveat: PETA might be idiots like you say - i have no idea as i don't know them)

I think they have a fair point: people are bound by law to treat animals, even ones bred for food, with a certain level of humanity

Anyone else find that sentance funny?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

This so wrong. Fish have feelings too. What if you killed a fish, but it's newborn child was still there? Who would take care of it? Would it grow up to be a fish-eater and eat it's own kind?

It's so wrong. We people need to realize what we're doing to the animal kingdom. I mean dolphins are more intelligent than humans. How dare we kill them for food? Actually, we shouldn't even take boats where the live so as to not disturb their natural habitat. Actually, since they're more intelligent and they're affected by our policies, they, or at least those living in our waters, should be given the right to vote. I mean, it's just a certain level of humanity we need to provide. We should not be allowed to pass laws that affect them without their representation. :S4
This ad space for sale.

i don't agree with the not eating fish part, but if scientific evidence shows that fish suffer unnecessarily being caught in the manner they are, why is it idiotic to make people aware of that?

I could be wrong but I think that most biologists agree that the way a fish's nervous system works is not sophisticated enough for it to be aware of any suffering, as we would think of it. They work more on automatic type responses.

If you look at the quotes from the article one researcher say's this

"Fish are very complex organisms that do all sorts of fascinating things," said University of Wyoming neuroscientist James Rose. "But to suggest they know they what's happening to them and worry about it, that's just not the case."

The best claim the people from PETA have is that fishes have 'great memories', so what? Doesn't mean they know what's happening to them.

FWIW I'm usually a supporter of animal rights but this is just silly.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

You know why PETA are MORONS... Here's Why:

Just before the election, there was video and pictures out of Kerry with some birds he killed during a hunting trip. Amazingly PETA hadn't said a word. They couldn't they were big supporters of the Democratic Party.

A news agency called PETA for a comment on the topic.
Peta's response was,

We can't comment, we don't want to politicize the Issue!

Are you kidding me??? That's what you do! That is the whole point of your groups existence!!!!
MORONS!!!

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

I hope they keep right on doing what they're doing. It helps to maintain their illegitimacy with the vast majority of Americans. Nobody has to fight them off. They do a great job of defeating themselves with their own ridiculousness. Not even an issue here. :D

Fish probably do feel pain, just may not have as much self awareness as people do. Fish may be smart, pigs are smarter. And I still eat bacon. That won't change any time soon. Their whole arguement is just plain silly. People are omnivores, it is that whole circle of life thing. If they are against eating meat, maybe they should try convincing lions that a vegetarian diet is more ethical too.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I think they have a fair point: people are bound by law to treat animals, even ones bred for food, with a certain level of humanity. So far fish are excluded. If it's ok to put a fish through considerable suffering, why are there laws protecting the furry creatures from the same fate?

Good grief...how do you cook your lobster?

You know what I do? I boil them alive.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!