ChasingBlueSky

Saving Private Ryan and the FCC

All it takes is one complaint to the FCC and they have to investigate and if determined to be less then the community standerds they get fined. ClearChannel was just hit with a lawsuit here since one of the DJ's introduced "Jet - Cold hearted Bitch" and said Bitch. during the morning commute and it offened a listener and their child. Since then the are being dumped a lot more during the morning show by censors.

IMO (ex fed) FCC is to busy to react everytime someone is offended by blood guts sex language etc. on T.V.

A massive write in campaign with a call in campaign may get some results. I guess the head of the FCC is a political appointee.

Our standard are goofy they bleep out the cuss words (read lips) and theres blood and gut's all over the place. good time for cussing imo.

Jeepers, dag nap it, shucks. :oKnow any other PC almost cuss words.:)

R.I.P.

...and anyone who's kids gets offended by the mere sight of a breast and a nipple are in for a big surprise. EVERY WOMAN HAS A COUPLE OF EACH! Deal with it, people. It's only a freakin' nipple!
Get the FCC where it belongs: the Smithonian!
(jdhill, not meant to be directed at you;))

With the current administration being co-opted by the Evangelical Right (read: Sexually Repressed), no chance of ending Reichsmarsha,er...Commissioner Powell's FCC purge of the unclean.

So, I'm thinking someone will complain.

Maybe I will.

If enough people complain about enough things, perhaps the FCC will be compelled to re-examine their role and stop being so reactionary.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I was just thinking that ABC should show a commercial free unedited double header tonight. They should show "Saving Private Ryan" followed by "Blackhawk Down". This way their American audience can not only see the nasty side of war, but also how nasty urban war is (in reference to what is going on in Fallujah) and that American soldiers well well trained and armed, still die in war (not to mention the deaths of the people the US soldiers fight).

The good guys don't always win, it's true.

And the cavalry doesn't come over the hill in the nick of time anymore, either.

But as a general rule, they (US troops, Brits too) give a whole lot better than they get.

Why is it that military organizations based on the expendibility of individual troops do so poorly, yet those like ours (and the Brits) who agonize over every combat fatality, and will move heaven and earth to "leave none behind, be they alive or dead" almost always kick their collective behinds?

It isn't just technology.

For example, Andy McNab's SAS stick, comprised of just seven men, accounted for HUNDREDS of Iraqi dead and wounded in the Gulf War.

The troops involved in Bill Clinton's misadventure in Somalia (who suffered greatly for his stupidity - sound familiar?) also killed many, many more than they lost. It wasn't guns alone that did it. They were facing mobs armed a lot better than they were, but they made the enemy pay dearly.

mh

For example, Andy McNab's SAS stick, comprised of just seven men, accounted for HUNDREDS of Iraqi dead and wounded in the Gulf War.

A small number of US Army Special Forces A-Teams mobilized a resistance and took over the entire country of Afghanistan. Some on horseback.

With the current administration being co-opted by the Evangelical Right (read: Sexually Repressed), no chance of ending Reichsmarsha,er...Commissioner Powell's FCC purge of the unclean.

I think Powell gets a bad rep for what he does. Some of his opinions are quite progressive and he feels that the FCC is becoming obsolete. He feels with cable, dish tv, and the internet there will not be that much of demand anymore for broadcast regulations. At most his strings are being pulled by those on the Hill with an agenda.

Speaking of agendas - some of our representative want the FCC to be able to impose strict regulations on non broadcast television. They feel that FX, HBO, MTV, etc should be allowed free range to play and say what they want and should have to follow rules similar to broadcast tv. Powell has actually spoken out against that, but those with the agendas really raised a stink about it after the super bowl.

This is far from over - and it will only get worse form here. Too bad - our society was actually becoming open minded for a while.[:/]

Private Ryan

Just because a T.V. station says they won't do something because their concerned about the FCC IMO that may be tru and it may not be true.

The stations have owners and advertisers that they also have to be concerned about. Sometimes:S these entities can be more influental than the Gov't. blaming the FCC could be a easy spin.

If the FCC hasn't shut down the Jerry Springer show due to complaints, god squad, commen sense etc, it's stillon the air because it has sponsers and owners that tolerate it.

Why would the FCC get involved with the showing of Private Ryan.? Don't want to be offended don't watch it.

Don't want to show P.R. because the owner/sponser is offended, or opposes it. Blame the FCC:)
R.I.P.

Dickhead fundies in ABQ must've gotten their sanctimonious shit spread to the ABC affilliate here. "Far and Away" in lieu of "Saving Private Ryan"??? WHAT THE FUCK?

Your goddamn freedom of religion is guaranteed by cussing, drinking, fucking, and BRAVE fighting men & women. How dare you disrespect us by forbidding SPR because someone might say "Fuck."

I FUCKING HATE FUNDIES.

Dickhead fundies in ABQ must've gotten their sanctimonious shit spread to the ABC affilliate here. "Far and Away" in lieu of "Saving Private Ryan"??? WHAT THE FUCK?

Your goddamn freedom of religion is guaranteed by cussing, drinking, fucking, and BRAVE fighting men & women. How dare you disrespect us by forbidding SPR because someone might say "Fuck."

I FUCKING HATE FUNDIES.

Chill dude they got their rights you got yours. Boycott their sponsors:)

Did you say FUCK:o OMFG>:(

R.I.P.

Add in Columbus in there too now. It was just announced this morning that they would not show it over fears of an FCC fine. Instead they are airing "Father of the Bride 2" :S

To those that have paid the ultimate price so that we can debate such issues.

Foggy

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

In the end:

"ABC stations in Atlanta; Dallas; Honolulu; New Orleans; Milwaukee; Phoenix; Orlando, Fla.; and Charlotte, N.C., did not broadcast the movie."

6 Bush states, 2 Kerry states.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

6 Bush states, 2 Kerry states.

So?

I mean if Janet didn't have the tit pop out I doubt there would have been such a problem.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

It isn't just technology.

McNab's team was eight strong, and the accuracy of his account has been seriously called into question.

The media should make a point out of showing the true reality of war daily. For the most war is glorified in songs, television, video games and the news. Few want to show tangled, battered and bloodied bodies of Americans rotting on a foriegn soil. Instead they interview millitery personnel whom have been coached on what to say to the interviewer. "Yes sir, I am happy to be here. I cannot think of a better place to be than here in Iraq, SIR!".
Childern are harden to the carnage as they are weaned on video games designed to envoke violence.
What became of the peace movement of the 60's and the 70's?
The so called leaders of the world, on both sides, have no intentions of negotiation. The call to war is their mantra and it has become the call of the young. Some will change after they witness the reality. Others are to harden and will call for more carnage.
Rest assured that the future is bleak.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I mean if Janet didn't have the tit pop out I doubt there would have been such a problem.

I still don't understand that. The tit wasn't on tv long enough to even see anything. Certainly not long enough to know for sure if it was a bare tit, or if it was covered with flesh coloured material or anything like that. All that was only determined after people replayed the event and/or downloaded the pictures of the internet...

Are people upset they saw all this in replay or on pictures they themselves downloaded? Waht if it would have been flesh coloured cloth with a nipple painted on? Would there still have been such an outcry?

Who can possibly claim that their lives have altered because they saw what during replays and photo review turned out to be a nipple.?

Come on Dek, you know the good pure christian moral majority down south can't stand the sight of the beautiful breasts that their beloved God created for them. Who knows what sort of devilish activities will be spawned if some child was to see a part of the human body. Now don't forget to run down to your local church, be sure to give them 10% of your pre-tax income so that they can continue to spread the word that the rest of us are evil and will only be saved by their God. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

>I mean if Janet didn't have the tit pop out I doubt there would have
>been such a problem.

Yeah, showing US soldiers slowly bleeding to death, having their faces shot off and being blown to bloody ribbons isn't so bad, but my god - someone saw a boob! Who knows how many parents had to answer that awful question from their ten year old - "Mom, do women have boobs?"

I still don't understand that. The tit wasn't on tv long enough to even see anything. Certainly not long enough to know for sure if it was a bare tit, or if it was covered with flesh coloured material or anything like that. All that was only determined after people replayed the event and/or downloaded the pictures of the internet...

Are people upset they saw all this in replay or on pictures they themselves downloaded? Waht if it would have been flesh coloured cloth with a nipple painted on? Would there still have been such an outcry?

Who can possibly claim that their lives have altered because they saw what during replays and photo review turned out to be a nipple.?

Didn't bother ME. But it did bother some people. I think we are a little two up tight about that kind of stuff. However, there is a big diference between tunning into a show and having something like that happen, or tunning into a show and expecting it to happen.

I feel as long as there are warnings of the content, I have no problem with almost anything on TV...I Don't like the thought of the F bomb being dropped on a kids program, but on an adult show as long as parents have the ability to prevent their kids from watching it....I don't care.

The problem was it was done on a "family" program. Even then I don't personally care...But I understand some parents issues.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Yeah, showing US soldiers slowly bleeding to death, having their faces shot off and being blown to bloody ribbons isn't so bad, but my god - someone saw a boob! Who knows how many parents had to answer that awful question from their ten year old - "Mom, do women have boobs?"

Two things.

1. One is reality, the other is a movie. In one case there was actaul nudity, the other is hollywood violence...I don't expect you to care or even notice the difference, but there is one.

2. One is EXPECTED, VS a surprize. This is the big one and my major (and only) issue. I don't care what is on TV as long as parents have the ability to prevent their children from watching it. No one knew what Janet was going to do....We all know that there is violence portrayed in SPR. I can remember my parents not letting me watch certain TV shows when I was a kid...They didn't want me to watch it, and thats fine. They did their job. So if a family does not want their kids to watch SPR they can not let them....But many kids saw Janets stupid stunt...And the parents could do nothing about it since they were not warned...and that is my only issue...Put anything you wnat on TV, but make it so that the parents have the opportunity to prevent their children from watching it if they want...They had no choice with Janet and her tit.

Again I don't expect you to understand.