JohnRich

Ban Knives!

In the news, from the UK:

New laws aim to ban shops from selling knives
NEW laws banning shops from selling non-household knives, machetes and other weapons could be introduced by the end of next year. Sales of replica guns will also be banned because they can be converted into useable firearms. There will also be a proposal to give police random stop and search powers. The age at which young people can buy household knives and axes may also rise from 16 to 18.

Over the past four years the number of incidents involving knives has risen by 350%.
Full story: Evening Times

Over the past four years the number of incidents involving knives has risen by 350%

If they would just leagalize guns they wouldn't have this problem.

Seriously... they are morons!!! Really. Banning non-kitchen knives..I don't get it. Then they will use kitchen knives as weapons..... then they will ban those and will have a country filled with plastic knives and sporks!!!

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

You guys always seem to pick upon the irrelevent points of our over-controlling government - restricting knifes, could care less as I don't really feel the need to own one (or a gun for that matter)

Freeing up the opening time of pubs - still waiting 2 parliaments after they were elected with that as part of the manifesto.

then they will ban those and will have a country filled with plastic knives and sporks!!!

I can kill you 9 different ways witha plastic spork. Don't fuck with me.......:D:ph34r::D
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

It must such to be a Prisoner of Mother England...

This is a Scottish newspaper and laws made in Scotland are not law in England.
Scotland has it's own legal system (along with education system etc) which differ from England.

I welcome any change in law that will try to cut down violent crime.

Johnrich has posted before (I couldn't find the post) about how violent the UK has became and then he wonders why we try and ban the carrying of weapons (Guns and knifes) in public.

As far as I am aware it's been against the law to carry offensive weapons in public for quite a while now unless you have a good reason . This includes craft knife (Stanley knifes ?) which are razor sharp and have caused horrific injuries in the past.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think my attitude stinks you should smell my fingers

Here's one I made earlier.

11.5" hira-zukuri tanto. Forged from W2 carbon steel, diiferentially hardened and tempered. Got some quite interesting activity in the hamon if I do say so myself.

One day I'll get around to making that pattern welded Yamashiro tachi I've been promising myself. Best get busy before they ban it.

NEW laws banning shops from selling non-household knives, machetes and other weapons could be introduced by the end of next year.

How many laws that you would class as ridiculous in the US are proposed and then defeated? A few months ago you could have posted that new laws could allow gays to marry. Now it is not going to happen.

If you read the article it states that they are looking at ways to combat increased knife crime - surely this is to be lauded not ridiculed.

You seem so desperate to try and point out problems with our country - it would almost seem to be an attempt to divert attention from the real problems.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

"Any" is such a big word...

How about if the police want the right to kick down your door and search your premises any time they wish, without any probable cause, just to make sure that you and your neighbors are on the up and up. Would that law meet with your approval?

What if the proposed law comes without any proof that it will actually work - are you game to try it anyway?

That's a prescription for marching down the road to tyranny.

Here's one I made earlier.

I've got a friend who is a collector and expert of Japanese swords. I think he would be impressed.

But it's a good thing you're not in Scotland. Mere possession of such an "assault knife" might get you locked up, even though you haven't even committed any crime with the blade.

This is the evolution of weapon laws. They don't just go after people who misuse them in crimes any more. Just simply owning one makes you a "criminal".

You seem so desperate to try and point out problems with our country - it would almost seem to be an attempt to divert attention from the real problems.

I simply point out stupid laws, and their results. I do the same thing with stupid laws from my own country. This one just happened to come from Scotland. But now that you mention it, a lot of these kinds of laws do seem to come from the UK...

What is the "real" problem?

The tendency is to move away from manufacture and sale of pointless weapons... who really needs a sword nowadays?! yes youre right... a sword collector.

And a 10" hunting knife? necessary for all those people that still go out an chase after dinner?

If people around the globe spent more time looking for productive hobbies and interests... I would back that with law anyday.:P

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

If people around the globe spent more time looking for productive hobbies and interests... I would back that with law anyday

I carry a Spyderco Endura (fully serated) for my personal protection as well for random daily tasks that require a knife. For me its like an American Express card "never leave home without it" to paraphrase the old commercial.

Have I ever had to resort to using my knife in a defense situation? Nope, but that doesn't mean I won't need it. I really haven't had to use all the martial arts I took either, but that doesn't mean we should ban martial arts since it creates dangerous people, right?

You know, if people around the globe spent more time being up and up instead of trying to rob, rape and hurt, then the need for me to be armed and well trained for my and my family's protection would be much lower.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Over the past four years the number of incidents involving knives has risen by 350%

If they would just leagalize guns they wouldn't have this problem.

Seriously... they are morons!!! Really. Banning non-kitchen knives..I don't get it. Then they will use kitchen knives as weapons..... then they will ban those and will have a country filled with plastic knives and sporks!!!

You know what? When I rightly and aptly point out that failure to make the realizations that you explain here means Brits are being morons, I get called out for being "anti British" or a "brit-hater" or something.

Why did pointing out idiotic policies become forbidden? Just because it tends to embarrass and hold up to ridicule those who propose/enact idiotic policies? They should be exposed! There is NO EXCUSE for failing to realize that if the only knives available are kitchen knives, then kitchen knives are what will be used in stabbings.

Forget for a moment about the fact that these laws will punish those who do not break the law with their folding/hunting/collectible knives. Let's just focus on the fact that this will not in any way prevent or diminish crime!!

What the fuck is WRONG with the ability to think rationally in that country?!

I am not anti-British, people: I used to be an anglophile. I am anti-STUPIDITY, and it seems you've been manifesting an awful lot of it lately.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

You guys always seem to pick upon the irrelevent points of our over-controlling government - restricting knifes, could care less as I don't really feel the need to own one (or a gun for that matter)

Freeing up the opening time of pubs - still waiting 2 parliaments after they were elected with that as part of the manifesto.

Your attitude -- "Why should I care about them overcontrolling the people and banning something that I have no interest in owning?" -- sickens me.

I think it's funny that you don't care about restrictions against owning a kind of TOOL, but you're all absorbed in the hours that pubs can stay open. Yeah, alcohol is a real essential to life. :|:S

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

It must such to be a Prisoner of Mother England...

This is a Scottish newspaper and laws made in Scotland are not law in England.
Scotland has it's own legal system (along with education system etc) which differ from England.

Okay, then it's Scotland that's being moronic.

And it just so happens that this isn't one of those laws. What do you think this type of thing could possibly accomplish? Do you just accept these things at face value, and think, "Well, they're making this law to affect knife violence; of course it's going to do exactly that"?

Why not think just a tiny bit into this issue and discern for yourself WHY anyone would believe banning non-kitchen knives would keep people from being able to stab each other? And if they don't stab each other, does that mean they won't turn to other means of killing each other?

Johnrich has posted before (I couldn't find the post) about how violent the UK has became and then he wonders why we try and ban the carrying of weapons (Guns and knifes) in public.

No. What we're wondering is WHY on earth you would actually believe that laws that ban carrying these things are actually going to stop violent people from doing it.

Your society has a deeper problem than the availability of guns and knives: it's called "the willingness people have to USE them on each other."

You can ban every motherfucking thing you decide to, and if you don't tackle that problem you will be conducting an exercise in futility.

As far as I am aware it's been against the law to carry offensive weapons in public for quite a while now unless you have a good reason . This includes craft knife (Stanley knifes ?) which are razor sharp and have caused horrific injuries in the past.

Ah, here we see a major chunk of the problem: you believe that it's tools "causing" the injuries, instead of people USING tools to cause injuries. The tools themselves are benign and cannot hurt anybody without the complicity of a human being involved.

And no, your country did not ban "offensive" weapons, it banned "weapons," because there is no difference between an "offensive" pocket knife and a "defensive" one. Is there an "offensive" Kubotan and a "defensive" Kubotan? Is there an "offensive" can of Mace and a "defensive" can of Mace? You're not allowed to carry that, either. Why? Because ANYTHING that is useful for defense is also useful for offense.

It is a staggering thing, that you don't see the illogic of these positions you hold.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

I carry a Spyderco Endura (fully serated) for my personal protection as well for random daily tasks that require a knife. For me its like an American Express card "never leave home without it" to paraphrase the old commercial.

I generally carry a Spyderco Military combo-edged knife for the same reasons you stated. I also rotate that with other Spydercos and Benchmades.

Have I ever had to resort to using my knife in a defense situation? Nope, but that doesn't mean I won't need it. I really haven't had to use all the martial arts I took either, but that doesn't mean we should ban martial arts since it creates dangerous people, right?

Trust me, if enough people got beaten and/or killed by those with knowledge of martial arts in the U.K., you can bet your ass they would be proposing a prohibition on teaching/learning the martial arts.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

You see I just dont agree that carrying a large knife to pull on people when you have the need is right.

And thankfully, in this country you would be arrested on the spot.

As for PJ's arguement that people would then carry round a kitchen knife - if they were that similar you why dont you both have one of those? Arnt they cheaper but just as effective?

The type of knife / gun / macho bollocks that goes into your decision processing regarding self defense just doesnt wash for mainstream people in the UK.

[:/]

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk