uncaged

European Attitudes

Yo America,
With my absentee ballot safely secured before departing for Europe, I ended up in Empuriabrava, Spain, very nice dropzone, great facilities, spectacular views, great coffee!!!
As an American, right after the election, I felt a sense of alienation, I really wasn't welcomed, never mentioned who I voted for, just that "oh, you're an American" attitude.

Unless its a boogie or a competition, don't venture into Europe alone without some contacts...

When the going gets weird, The weird turn pro...

Nah, people were scared to talk to you, in case you started talking politics.....:P

As a Brit whose just spent the last couple of months in the states, I never wanna talk politics again.

In all seriousness though, generally, we Europeans (Least the Brits anyway.) get on very well with Americans. (mainly the American women if I'm honest...;))

Sorry your expierence sucked, would you like me to arrange another invasion of mainland Spain? Its been a couple of hundred years....

Lee
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

Yo America,
With my absentee ballot safely secured before departing for Europe, I ended up in Empuriabrava, Spain, very nice dropzone, great facilities, spectacular views, great coffee!!!
As an American, right after the election, I felt a sense of alienation, I really wasn't welcomed, never mentioned who I voted for, just that "oh, you're an American" attitude.

Unless its a boogie or a competition, don't venture into Europe alone without some contacts...

I'd have let them know that in the US, we may argue politics, but we would never snub a fellow skydiver or make him feel unwelcome at our DZ because we disagreed with his politics. I'd have let them know we have more class than that in the US.

I'd have let them know that in the US, we may argue politics, but we would never snub a fellow skydiver or make him feel unwelcome at our DZ because we disagreed with his politics. I'd have let them know we have more class than that in the US.

I remember a post about how a DZ comer with his friends would welcome (beat up) any foreigner at the DZ disagreeing with the current american policies or something along this lines. :|

Sorry your expierence sucked, would you like me to arrange another invasion of mainland Spain? Its been a couple of hundred years....

Would you like to start with the Basque Country? It is the closest to mainland England... Excellent food gorgeus women, the only problem are those pesky terrorist, but i am sure you guys can deal with them. :P

Yo America,

If I may ask, how much does it cost (in American dollars) for a jump ticket there? How many loads/what kind of aircraft, per day?

Given what I know of the exorbitant costs of general aviation in every nation of the world but the U.S. (and it ain't exactly "cheap" here, either), I am conditioned to fear that it would be very costly to get a ride to altitude.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Would you like to start with the Basque Country? ==================================== We don't need to fuck w/ them. Where would we be w/o Jai Alai. I love that game
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Well, the week before Bush's inauguration, a jump from 11000ft cost R145, which at the time was $10.35 at an exchange rate of R14 to the dollar.

Now, nearly 4 years later, a jump from 11000ft costs R145. $23.77 at R6.10 to the dollar.

Aircraft is a Porter PC-6 and we do 30 loads a day, weekends only, with 8 or 9 on board.

In that time I think the Dollar has logged more freefall time than I have. Lets hope the trend continues. If it does, I'll soon be able to buy a wingsuit for the cost of a packjob.;)

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Hi Uncaged,

I'm sorry you felt that way. Do you think that this was ALL coming from the "Europeans" or was it perhaps that you were being defensive or sensitive "In an alien-nation"?

Perhaps it was that since you were an "American willing to travel to Europe" you were assumed to be a liberal and would be a bit down after the election.

Remember that Europeans in general can be a bit reserved, but I cannot believe that ANYONE at Empuriabrava would really care that much about American politics.:S

In all seriousness (and I bet I speak for ALL the European Dz.Commers) I would extend the same excellent hospitality and friendliness to a visitor that I have received when I was abroad.

Of course, Y'All have to accept what limited hospitality our poor little continent can afford! For example, it's well known that Europe has NO DENTISTS ever since they all emigrated to America to fix PJ's teeth!:D And of course, what with all the Sweet Pastries, Sour Wine, and Fat Cheeses going through their digestive tracts while they're enjoying the Slim Prostitutes, it's inevitable that the French smell a bit! But then again, would you prioritise "Wash" over "Eat" & "Sex"? Me neither.;)

Regards,

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Bummer dude. I wouldn't worry too much. Just about every European country west of Germany (except the UK and Italy) is in shock/awe/anger over the results of the election.

I think that's a common misperception worldwide about US politics. I argue politics (or used to anyway) all the time, but do not begrudge the individual I disagree with (BillVon and Quade know this about me anyway). I believe that many think that our political disagreements flow into other facets of our society -- to a limited extent they do, but it is certainly not the rule. Sh*t, I was a conservative living in California. Granted, I had my haven of right-of-center shelter living in Orange County, but I spent most of my time in LA. :P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I'd have let them know we have more class than that in the US.

It's that attitude that would get you snubbed.

If having enough class to treat my fellow skydiver with respect even though his views are different from mine would get me snubbed, then that person or group isn't worthy of my friendship and I would not share the sky with them.

I remember a post about how a DZ comer with his friends would welcome (beat up) any foreigner at the DZ disagreeing with the current american policies or something along this lines. :|

I find that disgusting too. Come on people, we are all skydivers. Treat your fellow jumpers with respect even if you disagree with his politics. WTF is wrong with people?

"I find that disgusting too. Come on people, we are all skydivers. Treat your fellow jumpers with respect even if you disagree with his politics. WTF is wrong with people?"

You're right, this is pretty despicable and I'm saddened that a fairly cosmopolitan DZ like Empuria left this lasting impression.

Its only politics folks.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Just about every European country west of Germany (except the UK and Italy)

I think Italy may be in shock/awe/anger that the US have moved them to west of Germany
:P
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Just about every European country west of Germany (except the UK and Italy)

I think Italy may be in shock/awe/anger that the US have moved them to west of Germany
:P

;) Haha...you're right. I meant to draw a vertical line from Germany and point to nations "west" from there.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Bummer dude. I wouldn't worry too much. Just about every European country west of Germany (except the UK and Italy) is in shock/awe/anger over the results of the election.

Regarding the reactions of most of my friends, you might include Germany as well. So drawing the line west of Poland also makes that Italy thing also easier;)
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

Actually, I was born in the UK, did two tours in Germany, flying helicopter gunships in defense of "Western Europe" and jumped my ass off in the 80'sfrom Texel to the Black Forest, I love Europe, will continue to go back, and I have no bad feelings toward any of my Brothers and Sisters who skydive in Europe, I think that I am probably more pissed off that I didn,t have a better time. Its all about timing sometimes...

I appreciate the responses, thanks.

When the going gets weird, The weird turn pro...

Good for you... keep coming back (we need the money!!)

Anyway, it's [individual] people who are arseholes not DZs or nations, so next time you visit, you will, like as not, meet a different group and they may be O.K

Blue Ones

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Yo America,

If I may ask, how much does it cost (in American dollars) for a jump ticket there? How many loads/what kind of aircraft, per day?

Given what I know of the exorbitant costs of general aviation in every nation of the world but the U.S. (and it ain't exactly "cheap" here, either), I am conditioned to fear that it would be very costly to get a ride to altitude.

PJ

The planet needs uou. A trip around the world would be a plus for world unity.

I'm confused :) I thought you wouldn't go anywhere that you couldn't take you stuff with you to protect yourself.

Pick the right place, they got exactly the stuff you always dream about and you'll get to use them on moving targets.:|

R.I.P.

When I toured Europe 27 years ago (dang), there were a lot of Americans who didn't admit to it. I found that my reception saying I was from Texas was more positive than the reception saying I was American.

There were a lot of negative American stories shared. Of course, there were a lot of Americans, but some of those stories were pretty awful.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I found that my reception saying I was from Texas was more positive than the reception saying I was American.

An old storekeeper in the market in Sharja, UAE, said to my Texas friends, "Oh, you're from Texas. They killed John Kennedy". He had no idea where Arkansas was.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.