metalslug

What stops you from being a killer ?

Alrighty, humor me for a moment here...

Many of us at some point in our lives have had experiences that make us think to ourselves:
"Dammit, I could just kill that person!"
These feelings could be caused by vengeance, road rage, blackmail, outsiders that threaten our loved ones or relationships and any number of other things.
We may watch 'heroes' such as 'DareDevil' and 'The Punisher' apply vigilante justice and, although entirely fictional, feel that it's somehow justified within that context to take out the bad guy.

There are usualy 3 reasons (I think) why average citizens dont go out and kill,
applied either individualy or collectively:
(1) We calm down and realise our problem is really not so serious.
(2) We're aware of the rule of law and fear the consequences of breaking those laws.
(3) Our mercy, social philosophy, moral conscience and/or religious persuasion
("Thou shalt not kill", "Do unto others..", "Violence begets more violence")

Which of these keeps you in check ? Or are there other factors that tame you ?
"I never get angry" would fall under category (3)

Assume a hypothetical world where homocide was perfectly legal (but every other law was still enforced). If we exclude acts of self-defence and exclude killings in the line of duty as a soldier or policeman, and consider only acts of homocide that could be prosecuted in the real world,
then would you have killed by now ? How many ?

I have split this poll into male and female because I suspect that more females than males are likely to be guided by conscience and respect for life and I'm curious to see if this pattern emerges.

-
No 'mericans were harmed during the making of this post.

I’m male.
First, there are times when killing, not murder, is justified. Aside from that, however, and generally speaking, I’d say “mercy, social philosophy, moral conscience”, and religious influence would stop me primarily. Secondly, would be the “fear of legal consequences of the crime.”

Assualt weapons still aren't legal up here in Canada.

Is that what stops you from being a killer? The ban on assault weapons isn't what would stop me. Just because my weapon doesn't have a pistol grip stock or a bayonette lug doesn't mean it won't shoot just as far and fast as that "assault weapon" banned up there in Canada.

There is one person that in a heartbeat I would murder in cold blood. My number one reason I dont is that I enjoy the freedom of not being behind bars. Number 2 is that it would kill my husband to know I could actually follow through with that (he knows how I feel about this person). Number 3 is that I am not sure how I would feel about myself afterwards. Number 4 is that this person lives a miserable and petty life and it is far more cruel that she is still on the face of the planet.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Number 4 is that this person lives a miserable and petty life and it is far more cruel that she is still on the face of the planet.

I know that fucker. Oh...you said "she"...nevermind.

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

A genuine belief that life is the most precious commodity in the universe... Christ, rather than kill spiders in my home (which, in connection with black cats are the only things I am pathologically scared of) I trap them and release them outside.
"I gargle no man's balls..." ussfpa on SOCNET

The voices in my head tell me to burn things, not kill people.

Insufficient motive, hate, rage... or expressed as an alternative to killing.
Option (2) Mercy, social philosophy ...is for you.

Too much hassle getting rid of the body.

The only reason you would want to hide the body is to prevent the cops finding it, right ?
That puts you at option: (1) Fear of the legal consequences of the crime

Insufficient motive.

That's because you're mercyful, you dont hate enough to kill. Option (2) is for you.

Some people aren't worth killing.

That could be seen as a social philosophy. Option (2) for you.

Somethings are worse than death.

Yes, that would count as "Other". Apart from that, the only people I can think of that might answer "Other" are the people that would kill or have killed, or cannot kill because they're in solitary confinement or some enviroment that negates all oppertunity.

Of course, the poll doesn't have to be all serious, if you're joking in reply, the :D will suffice.

-
No 'mericans were harmed during the making of this post.

The ONLY thing that has stopped me from killing the people on my "hypothetical list" is my love for my wife and children. I wouldn't be much of a Dad in jail.

If we knew for a fact that an asteroid was coming in 7 days and we would all be killed... who knows, I might go on the grand tour ;)

Plus.. God said "not to kill"... And I wouldn't want to go to hell.