deduct a 1.0 off your 4.0 GPA and give it to your friend who only has a two
point." He continued, "That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly
that would be a fair and equal distribution of the GPA."

The daughter, visibly shocked by the father's suggestion, angrily fired
back, "That wouldn't be fair! I worked really hard for mine, I did without
and Mary has done little or nothing; she played while I worked really hard!"

The father slowly smiled and said, "Welcome to the Republican Party."
jumpers ARE better all around people than whuffos

And yet again, we have evidence that every single poor person or welfare recipient is lazy.

Right off the internet.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I heard Sean Hanity use this arguement while talking with some students on the radio a few weeks back. None of them wanted to give up a point on their GPA either:P:D
----------------------------------------
....so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many
others her age she considered herself to be a very conservative Republican
and was for survivial of the fittest. She felt deeply ashamed that her father was
a hippy Democrat -- which she expressed quite openly. One day she
was challenging her father on his beliefs and his opposition to the
ellimination of welfare programs. In the middle of her heart-felt
diatribe based upon the lectures from her professors at school, he stopped
her and asked her point blank, "How are you doing in school?"

She answered rather embarassed that she had a 2.0 GPA, and let
him know that it was tough to maintain. That she had to study all the time,
never had time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn't
even have time for a boyfriend and didn't really have many college friends
because of spending all her time studying. That because she grew up in a
poor community, her high school education had barely prepared her for even
remedial classes. Her father listened and then asked, "How is your
friend Mary doing?" She replied, "Mary is doing great." She
continued, "She has a perfect 4.0 GPA," adding, "and all she takes are
easy classes and she never studies." To explain further she continued
emotionally, "But Mary went to a school in the suburbs where they had 5 times
the money per student that my school did. College for her is a
blast . . .she goes to parties all the time and very often doesn't even show
up for classes because she is too hung over."

The father then said, "Tough shit, life's not fair. Isn't that the theme of
your Republican Party."

I am neither a Republican or Democrat. I cannot affiliate myself with just one party, and I disagree with some issues on either side. However, I am not one for equal distribution of wealth or welfare, or anything of that sort for that matter.
Let me tell you why:
I am a direct descendant of 2 immigrants from Greece. Both my parents grew up in little tiny villages with no electricity, running water, or any other amenities we have. As a matter of fact, the first time my mother even saw a car, she was 13.

My father came here with a suitcase and $100. My mother moved here with her parents a 5 other siblings to live in a 1-bedroom apartment on Crenshaw blvd. NO ONE SPOKE ENGLISH!
Do you think there were signs for them written in Greek? NO!! Do you think they received welfare or unemployment? NO!!! They worked their ass off, and amassed 7 figure assets within 10 years.
They are the perfect example of VERY poor people coming to this country and taking advantage of the oppurtunities available.
They walked around with books to translate signs and what people said. They all worked as laborers and took the bus to work. They got college degrees going to night school and graduated dean's list.
Now, when someone needs welfare or complains that they are poor and we need to do something about it, I think to myself "Quit bitching and do it yourself. NO ONE owes anyone anything except yourself. Instead of having sex and being lazy while popping out kids, take responsibities for your actions. DONT HAVE SEX. Get a job. Dont expect us to pay for your mistakes in life."
My parents worked very hard and no one helped them. They never bitched about the system and how they were owed for living in such low income areas. They are not lucky, they are just smart for taking the oppurtunities around them. ...............Just my opinion ;)

"Quit bitching and do it yourself. NO ONE owes anyone anything except yourself. Instead of having sex and being lazy while popping out kids, take responsibities for your actions. DONT HAVE SEX. Get a job. Dont expect us to pay for your mistakes in life."

How many people on welfare does that describe?

Don't just answer based on your emotional suppositions and the sensationalization of people like that in the media. Tell me, what are the average number of kids of welfare recipients? How long do most people stay on welfare? How much and what kind of welfare do people really receive?

Do you know the answers to those questions? Really know them, or just assume they must be lazy?

I'm assuming your grandparents were intelligent, healthy people. What if they were dumb and arthritic?

A young man was about to finish his first year of college. Like so many othes his age, he thought he knew what life was about, since he'd experienced it in high school and in his first year of college. His father, on the other hand, knew nothing about him. He worked all the time, came home, wanted dinner and watched tv and some beer. He felt ashamed of his father for not being in with a movement - seemingly apolitical. One day he starts talking to his father about his beliefs on welfare programs. In the middle of this questioning, his father stops him and says, "How are you doing in school?"

He answered "not great, not bad, mostly B's, but it's tought to maintain" He studies a lot, and tried to be involved with campus activities and groups, but none of them really identify for him. He works so he can help support his participation in club sports, and parties sometimes, but not like everyone else. He'd seen a couple of chicks, but was uncomfortable with them. It turns out, he was just doign what he could to get by, not half bad, not half good, just fitting in. High school hadn't really prepared him for college. He explained to his father that preparing for college with high school is like preparing to drive a car when you've only ridden a bicycle - same idea, but one is much more complicated and difficult to master.

His father said, "How's your roommate Jim doing?" She replied, "basically the same as me. He's gettign by, doing okay, not spectacular, but just staying in the background."

The father said, "Well, what does he think about welfare programs and cutting them?" He said, "I don't know, we haven't discussed it." The father said, "What about your professors?" He said, "my political science professor things it's a shame."

The father said, "Well, have you read what anybody else thinks? THere's gotta be more to it." The son said, "No, I haven't."

To which the father replied, "research this yourself and come to some of your own conclusions. If you can't, then get outta that college, because it isn't teaching you anything." The father then put in a Jerry Springer DVD.

And the son was impressed with his father's wisdom...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

True, you make very good points, and I shouldnt make suppositions about being lazy.
But I will tell you this, no one deserves free money. You arent owed it by anyone. Many people live below standard conditions, yet work to get there own. I cannot see a single situation where someone deserves free money (exception being where welfare could replace child support not paid by the deadbeat parent). Some mistake of theirs led them to that state where they needed that money, and it shouldnt be anyone else's problem, but their own. If they couldnt afford to have the children, then they shouldnt of had them to begin with. If they dont have children, and are not disabled, there is no excuse not to work.......my opinion

"But Mary went to a school in the suburbs where they had 5 times

The father then said, "Tough shit, life's not fair. Isn't that the theme of
your Republican Party."

You have got to be kidding me. :| Some of the kids that ended up going to the BEST COLLEGES in the country were friends of mine from the wrong side of the tracks...in the 'other' schools. They earned it because they worked hard, not sitting on their 'whoa is me' asses and using their upbringing as an excuse to fail. How long are you going to allow people to rest on 'But...but...but...I was raised so poorly!' Until they're 20? 30? 40? Fuck it, let's just support them until they die because they are miserable creatures that couldn't do a thing for themselves. You're degrading people that had more difficult childhoods by saying that they shouldn't win in life because of it.

That's as bad as resting on your laurels and not moving forward in life. How f*cking lame would it be for someone to start an initiative for all high school valedictorians to be given $75k/year from the government and never have to get a job because they did so well in high school?!

Edited to add: No I'm sure every person on welfare is NOT just lazy and should not be on it. Just that I haven't met many...almost all of the ones I know of have new clothes, new surround-sound stereo equipment, the latest cell phones, go through the car wash every Friday, and don't seem to have physical/mental maladies that would prevent them from holding a job, just as it doesn't prevent them from partying on weekends.

Like I said, just because MOST that I have met personally fit the above description (and I am not making this sh*t up) doesn't mean there aren't more out there that truly couldn't make it themselves. I still don't think that it is right to 'assume' that these people should automatically FAIL in life.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

And yet again, we have evidence that every single poor person or welfare recipient is lazy.

Right off the internet.

Wendy W.

It's fair to say that a lot of students are all for any sort of government spending up till the point where they are paying 45% of their gross salary on this spending. At that point they want to see justification and return on investment. Some see it, remain happily in the Democratic Party. Others don't, drift towards the GOP. And then some see a mix of good and waste.

BTW, even at a school like Cal, you won't get 4.0s without working hard for it, and you won't get 2.0s unless you're slacking a lot. Or you have a job - neither of the examples indicated working was part of the equation, but I think on the question of equity it is the biggest differentiator.

If one's high school didn't prepare them to do better than a C average, they either picked the wrong college, or should have spent some time at a JC getting the remedial training. Even though the UC system takes the top 1/8th, and the CSU system the top quarter or so, way too many arriving students are taking space on campus while taking basic math and English coursework.

I agree with you. I spent time at a JC because, as listed above, I grew up with poor parents who worked their asses off to get where they went. I graduated from a crappy high school, and had to take 2 years of basic math and english at a local JC to catch up with my peers. DId I bitch? No. I did what I had to do to get to UC, which I then graduated magna cum laude, with the highest GPA in my major. Now off to law school. It may have taken me 2.5 more years than the average 4 year plan, but I did it.
THe point of this reply is not to tell my story, but to concur with you that excuses for not doing your job and taking responsibility for your actions is inadmissable to me. Many people who went to schools on the wrong side of the tracks made something of themselves, conversely, people on the right side of the track screwed their lives up.
No one can predict the outcome of your life except yourself, and if you screw it up, its not anyones fault but yours. Take care of yours and your own.
OK, no more politic talk. I just thought it was a cool story to post up, and I did.
BLUE SKIES!! :)

Unfortunately, my grandparents were not smart and healthy people. None had any education whatsoever, and none can read.
They lived on little farms in Greece as laborers.
I came from a very, very, very, very poor family that did what it took to succeed. The people on welfare failed to do what my grandparents did, and the only blame should be on them, not us or society.

To elaborate on Wendy's point...

There is a difference between those who are in need and those looking for a handout. This post addresses the idea that the position one holds in life may very well be deserved and should not be amended simply because it falls short of the ideal. In those cases, where opportunity is squandered, it does seem ridiculous to assume that injustice is the sole cause and to seek redress by appropriating funds from the communal kitty.

But this post discounts the fact that any person, no matter how well intentioned or how hard they apply themselves, may at some point in time find themselves in a position where they need assistance. While it is misguided to "simply give a man a fish", it is unreasonable to believe that the same man can remain viable while "learning to fish" without some means of support.

FallRate

While it is misguided to "simply give a man a fish", it is unreasonable to believe that the same man can remain viable while "learning to fish" without some means of support.

APPLAUSE

My father was a hardworking laborer, a carpenter. After getting out of the Navy he got married, saved up and bought a house and fathered my older brother. A couple months after he was born my father was diagnosed with Polio. He was too sick to work or care for my brother, my mother had to do that. He was also to proud to collect welfare or food stamps. My mother went behind his back and got food stamps, and assistance paying the utilities so that her family could be fed and not freeze. Miraculously a year later my father had a full recovery from Polio (a rare thing) and was able to go back to work and support his family. He didn't know what my mom did until years later, she handled the finances and had him thinking she had saved up the money. To this day she says if he had to deal with the stress of not being able to feed his family or keep them warm in winter he never would have recovered.

He went on to have 4 more children, buy a 5 bedroom house with a pool in the back, run for and win election to the town council and give quite a bit of himself to charity. The carpenter's union has a scholarship fund named after him to recognize the charity work he accomplished and the selfless way in which he gave to others in need.

That's the type of welfare recipient that I'm familiar with.

Unfortunately, my grandparents were not smart and healthy people. None had any education whatsoever, and none can read.
They lived on little farms in Greece as laborers.
I came from a very, very, very, very poor family that did what it took to succeed. The people on welfare failed to do what my grandparents did, and the only blame should be on them, not us or society.

Oh, you are SO wonderful.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

What Bullshit....

Oh she has it easy cause she went to a rich school..

What total Bull shit.

I expect better from you that this kind of crap.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

What Bullshit....

Oh she has it easy cause she went to a rich school..

What total Bull shit.

I expect better from you that this kind of crap.

If money spent per child doesn't matter, why do the wealthy Republicans spend more on their children's education? Why do they move to suburbs where the school districts spend more?

I, on the other hand, moved to an expensive district because I believe it DOES matter.

Education is a long-term investment by society for society's own good. Denying that investment to the poor is plain bad economics.

If money spent per child doesn't matter, why do the wealthy Republicans spend more on their children's education? Why do they move to suburbs where the school districts spend more?

I, on the other hand, moved to an expensive district because I believe it DOES matter.

Education is a long-term investment by society for society's own good. Denying that investment to the poor is plain bad economics.

You can send your kid to the most expensive school in the states, but if the parents don't care and fail to instill the drive in him, what's it matter?

Most peope who can afford private schools are either (A) so dedicated to their kid's education that they find the moeny or (B) are driven enough that they instill that in their kids.

However, I knew plenty of kids who went to Seton Hall Prep and were the biggest wastes of human space. I only know what happened to two of them in college, but neither graduated.

Determination and parental involvement matter far more than the name of the school.

However, I'm not going to argue that the public education system isn't broken or that it doesn't fail some children. It is. It does.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

If money spent per child doesn't matter, why do the wealthy Republicans spend more on their children's education?

Cause they can? The same reason they drive BMW's instead of FORD Festivas. Or live in 250,000 homes instead of a trailer.

Oh, why does it only have to be Republicans?....You just said you moved and I doubt you vote the Rep party line? Are you saying Dem's don't care about their childrens education?

I have seen PLENTY of rich kids go to nice schools and not make anything out of it...I have also seen poor kids go to crap schools and become something.

The parents do matter...Making sure they are involved in their kids education..Money might help, but if you send a rich kid to school and his parents ignore him, or send a poor kid and the parents are involved in the education...I'd bet on the poor kid everyday.

So, your kids...Did they do well due to nice schools? OR did they do well due to YOU?

I'd bet on you.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

If money spent per child doesn't matter, why do the wealthy Republicans spend more on their children's education?

Cause they can? The same reason they drive BMW's instead of FORD Festivas. Or live in 250,000 homes instead of a trailer.

Oh, why does it only have to be Republicans?....You just said you moved and I doubt you vote the Rep party line? Are you saying Dem's don't care about their childrens education?

I have seen PLENTY of rich kids go to nice schools and not make anything out of it...I have also seen poor kids go to crap schools and become something.

Granted, but unless you can tell a priori which is which, denying the investment to any of them is bad economics.

The parents do matter...Making sure they are involved in their kids education..Money might help, but if you send a rich kid to school and his parents ignore him, or send a poor kid and the parents are involved in the education...I'd bet on the poor kid everyday.

So, your kids...Did they do well due to nice schools? OR did they do well due to YOU?

I'd bet on you.

Maybe. But they went to well funded schools too.

A BMW is clearly superior to a Festiva and (maybe) worth the additional cost. You are arguing that a well funded school is not superior to an poorly funded school. So why would a rich Republican waste the money?

So why would a rich Republican waste the money?

it is an irony the major exponent of the democrats is one of the welathiest in this country.

Tell that to the RICH democrats, will you?
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

>Oh she has it easy cause she went to a rich school..
>What total Bull shit.

You don't know anyone like this? I knew many people from my high school who went on to a college where admission was virtually guaranteed due to heavy contributions by their parents. They spent most of the time drunk (if their stories were to be believed) graduated and went on to jobs in the family law firm/business/campaign. They were mostly republicans; my high school (a private religious one) attracted that sort.

They are not the norm; most people do work hard to get through college. But they do exist, and they are as bad as the stereotype makes them out to be.

You don't know anyone like this?

Oh, I know of some...But if you want to play stereo types...Do you know of people that are to lazy to WORK for anything and no amount of help you give them will do anything?

They are not the norm; most people do work hard to get through college. But they do exist, and they are as bad as the stereotype makes them out to be.

OK but they don't spend MY money..They do it without MY money. So given the choice I would rather have a rich kid flying by on his dime, than a lazy person wasting mine.