billvon

Anti-gay amendment soundly defeated

Marriage is a religious sacrament.

so what do you make of millions of married atheists and agnostics.

I don't know, a parade? I'm in.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Marriage SHOULD have nothing to do with the government at all. But as long as it does, it needs to be open to all citizens, gay or not. People object to a gay wedding being called a marriage. fine. call it a civil union, but call everyone else's a civil union in the eyes of the government. As the supreme court has stated, separate but equal isn't equal. Give everyone equal rights, not special rights.

Its your union. call it whatever you like. it has nothing to do with me. nor does anyone else's union have anything to do with either of us.

I totally agree with you, Nightingale. If it weren't for religious influence, this would not be an issue at all.

Good News!!!

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

it needs to be open to all citizens, gay or not.

Are you OK with polygamy? How about brother/sister, father/daughter, etc?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

nobody looks twice at desegregated schools now, or interracial marriages. I'd venture to say the same about gay marriage 15-20 years after its legalized.

I agree with this. Some people believe that legalization of gay marriages will mean the end of the civilization as we know it, and some people (probably many of them) believed the same thing for desegregation.

Why of course, that is the goal. Obviously we're fighting the gay marriage amendment so that we can marry our cats and goldfish.

Get real.

I am real.

Your response implies that you would not be in favor of polygamy and all the rest. I believe the rest of the country would agree.

How would you deny their rights after changing the defiition of marriage.

At least Nightingale doesn't care.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

If that is what you inferred from my response, then you came to the wrong conclusion.

I simply don't care and as far as I'm concerned it's an irrelevant tangent.

I think it would matter (not irrelevant) when polygamists would lobby for what they would want.

it needs to be open to all citizens, gay or not.

Are you OK with polygamy? How about brother/sister, father/daughter, etc?

Same argument was used with interracial marriage. If we allow it pretty soon fathers will marry daughters, sons/mother, brothers/sisters. Some even quoted the Bible and said "race mixing" was going to be the end of modern civilization. It was going to open up pandoras box. Others said that the kids wont know what race they belong to and they would grow up in a racial limbo. I mean look at Tiger Woods, the guy is so f-ed up. Black father Thai mother. Damn thats a recipe for disaster.

Why of course, that is the goal. Obviously we're fighting the gay marriage amendment so that we can marry our cats and goldfish.

Imagine the uproar when people find out what I really want is to marry my cat. Aaaaand his name is Skylar.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

[satirical rant]

Hey, you gay people stay outta this!

Don't you know this is all about the trying to cause the fall of civilization. We don't give a damn about you guys getting the same rights as other people. We just want to marry -more- women.

[/satirical rant]

(Let me assure you that adding more women to a relationship isn't the answer to life's little problems. Rather the opposite actually.)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Your response implies that you would not be in favor of polygamy and all the rest. I believe the rest of the country would agree.

I can't think of a legitimate reason against polygamy, provided all involved are aware of it. Can you?

"Because the Mormons wanted it" is not a valid response. And ironically, they're the ones leading the charge against gays.

Hey, you gay people stay outta this!

Yeah, I know. This isn't about depriving gays and lesbains equal rights. It's about the rights of straight people to marry, divorce, marry, divorce, marry, divorce, marry, divorce, marry, divorce, marry divorce . . .

btw, I have a confession. My real agenda is polygamous homosexual bestiality. You see, I have 2 male cats I want to marry. :o

edited to add: Skylar and Scooter I love you guys! One day we'll be able to share our love with the whole world.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

hey these people out here in the midwest DO look twice at interracial couples. my sister and her ex-husband couldn't walk down the street in suburbia without some seriously hard looks. this is the same mentality that makes those polls so high. city folk (such as myself) tend not to be too worried about the idea of gay marriage, but to some people this is A CRISIS OF FAITH and a war against the "culture of sin". i love my midwest people but they can get so haughty about these types of things...:)
You'll lose speed, but keep altitude. It will look like you have a choice, speed or height, but either way you're still gonna nose-dive into the ground.
-Chuck Palahniuk

hey these people out here in the midwest DO look twice at interracial couples. . . city folk (such as myself) tend not to be too worried about the idea of gay marriage, but to some people this is A CRISIS OF FAITH and a war against the "culture of sin". i love my midwest people but they can get so haughty about these types of things...:)

Read that carefully and tell my if you find it just so much self serving crap. There are bigots everywhere and in every condition. There are also decent people everywhere and in every condition. By binning 'midwesterners' (or "black people", or "people of faith", or "gay people", or ....) into easily judged mass group, who is being biased and unfair?

One doesn't make themselves look any more 'evolved' by bashing the midwesterners (with the obvious exception of course of "city folk (such as myself)" next thing that comes out of their mouths is cliches like "open your mind" and "you just don't understand" and other non-content tripe like that.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The amendment "is to provide moms and dads for the next generation of our children. Isn't that important? Isn't that the ultimate homeland security -- standing up, defending marriage, defending the right for children to have moms and dads, to be raised in a nurturing and loving environment? Isn't that what this debate is all about?" asked Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., on the Senate floor Wednesday.

Yeah, two men marrying is REALLY comparable to homeland security, defending against terrorist attacks.

Is anyone else here completely ticked off about how whenever someone doesn't like something they compare it to terrorism?

I'm a bit confused by this statement...are you saying that if a union isn't religious, you don't think it should be called a marriage?

Not at all, heck, mine wasn't religious at all, I eloped in Vegas. Only that the origins of marriage are religious and marriage is defined as a union of man and woman. So either the definition of marriage needs to change or there needs to be some term that denotes exactly the same thing but for gay couples.

I do agree with using marriage for religious connotations more than civil ones though. The people in the relationship can call it whatever the heck they want to ;-)

I'm sorry if my first post wasn't clear.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Who were the two senators missing, Kerry and Edwards?:P

The results of this vote was expected. However, it does not change the fact that most polls show that 66% of Americans oppose gay marriages.

And most polls also show that 93% of Americans oppose a constitutional amendment banning it.