Gravitymaster

Are people being abducted by UFO's?

I think they (and yes, I do believe there is a "they") don't bother to communicate with us or pay us much attention for the same reasons that we don't meaningfully try to communicate with the other primates on our OWN world:

They just don't think we have anything to offer them and it is much more fun to observe us in a zoo-like setting going about our day to day business.

Just my take on it.
"I gargle no man's balls..." ussfpa on SOCNET

They just don't think we have anything to offer them and it is much more fun to observe us in a zoo-like setting going about our day to day business.

Just my take on it.

Cattle are animals with a social order, family relationships, and they communicate with each other. We do not consider them our peers, so we feel free to eat them.

Ain't that a worry? :ph34r:

Just my take on it.

Cattle are animals with a social order, family relationships, and they communicate with each other. We do not consider them our peers, so we feel free to eat them.

Ain't that a worry? :ph34r:

Reminds me of the old Twilight Zone episode where we find an alien book called "To Serve Man"...
"I gargle no man's balls..." ussfpa on SOCNET

Alien Tail Soup:
Ingredients:

One adult alien
9 liters of water
4 big onions
2 bags of bouillion
4 tablespoons of salt
3 tablespoons of pepper
Eventual some vegetables.
1. Kill the alien.
2. Let it be for about 5 days, as this neutralize the acidblood.
3. Use a carving knive and cut off the alien's tail. It is easiest if you cut between the exosceleton "scales". Beware - the acid blood might still be potent enough to melt a hole in something. If so - leave it for about 2 days before you make a new attempt. Remember - it is perfectly safe if you don't rush!
4. Boil the water and put the alien tail in the hot water.
5. After 1 hour, add bouillion, salt and pepper.
6. Let this boil for 2 hours.
7. Then add the onions and vegetables (if you want some) and boil until the veggies are edible
8. Cool off and enjoy!

----------

I got an anal probe once!

Ah - but was it from an alien?! :P:D

Personally I have believed since I saw the episode of 'South Park' where they implant an antenna in Cartman's arse and end up communicating with the cows. It just made everything clear to me!
B|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Hogwash.
I think that the abundance of absolutely hokey, discredited, pseudo-"evidence" out there, it is clear that there is no REAL evidence of it would have become widely known. Reminds me of James Randi, the illusionist-turned-debunker, who offers a bounty of a MILLION DOLLARS to anyone who comes forth with psychic ability that he cannot debunk. No takers. Imagine that.

So about aliens, I think that if there are actually aliens, they either haven't turned up in our neck of the woods, or they have and don't even care about us. I sure as shit don't believe we've captured some and have them sequestered alive or dead somewhere in the desert (or anywhere else). And all these abduction stories are so much hooey also. It's so obvious that most people are either trying to cover for why they "didn't have they ass home whatchoo said you was gonna when you was gonna!" or they just like the attention they get from telling stories, and their stories lean quite heavily on accounts they've heard others tell. That would explain why everyone's aliens look sorta similar, and still different.

What was this "undisputable evidence" that was presented to you? If it was not a ride in an alien craft, or a meeting with an alien creature, I am skeptical that it was "undisputable"...

P.S. The statement "I want to believe" is prejudicial, and indicates that the person is not being objective, but is instead looking for reason to believe something instead of believing what there simply is evidence for believing. If you seated someone on a jury and they said they WANT to believe the story of the plaintiff who claims she was raped, that juror should be dismissed as biased, right? You would be better off with a juror who simply said, "I want to know what truth actually is," if what you were hoping to find was the truth.

Blue skies,
-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Didn't God say something in the Bible about Our dominion over the creatures of the Earth and universe at large??? Pajarito....help me out. They are far too inferior to question humankind's superiority in any meaningful way, IMHO (tongue firmly planted in cheek)....

Peace~
Lindsey
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Didn't God say something in the Bible about Our dominion over the creatures of the Earth and universe at large??? Pajarito....help me out. They are far too inferior to question humankind's superiority in any meaningful way, IMHO (tongue firmly planted in cheek)....

Peace~
Lindsey

I search the Holy Book and found these:

Genesis 1:26 - And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Genesis 1:28 - And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

I could not find any references to: green men, area 51 or Elvis.

-----------

People once believed in pixies, dragons, vampires and unicorns, people today just believe in aliens.

It's the same thing.

thats a really good way to put that. and its true, since even a couple hundred years ago people truely believed in witches, unicorns, mermaids, etc.

i believe that there could be aliens out there somewhere, but the odds of them being so intelligent that they can travel here from light years away, but yet stupid enough to be seen flying around hickville, usa at night?
if there is another lifeform out there, its probably some one-celled organisms crawling around on some far off planet.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I have recently been presented "Undisputable Evidence" Aliens from outer space are abducting people. What is your opinion?

I recently saw a remark that made me think about extraterrestrials in a way I had never considered before:

"If they existed, we'd already know about them."

I don't think we're alone in the universe. But that doesn't mean that "they practically own South America", as a character in John Carpenter's 1982 remake of "The Thing" remarked about UFOs.

Every day, we see more and more evidence of the commonality of the critical elements needed to sustain organic life: Water, Carbon, Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Oxygen, and a source of energy. Note the combinations of these elements which have been found on other bodies - hydrocarbons...??? Perhaps.

We've found things growing in places we recently didn't even know about (undersea geothermal vents), and the Mars rovers have uncovered irrefutable evidence that water once flowed there.

Consider the nine planets (plus Planet X, but I'm not going there). The inner ones are rocky (Mercury), then you get rocky with atmosphere (a LOT of atmosphere in the case of Venus), a "just-right" combination of rocky and atmosphere in an absolutely perfect, stable, long-term orbit (good ol' Terra).

Moving outwards, you get plenty of rocky and very little atmosphere (Mars), and as you get further out, you get gas giants.

This tends to indicate (and the Huygens probe will undoubtledly confirm when it lands on Titan in January) that the "primordial soup" which is necessary for organic life to thrive exists everywhere, not just in our solar system, but in the universe.

Therefore the only thing needed to set it all off is for the chain reaction to occur in one of two places in a planetary system: in the narrow band where we are wrt the star, where it's not too hot, not too cold, but just right, or possibly in a place where the chemical soup exists (or more properly, is assumed to exist!), but has a different energy source than the sun; i.e., geothermal (Jupiter's moon Europa, heated internally by the moon's interaction with Jupiter's gravity).

And somebody help me out here, but haven't there been measurements of those common elements in planets orbiting certain stars?

But here's the rub to it all. Although it is entirely possible that other stable systems exist with planets in the "sweet spot" wrt the star, and organic life is actually there, we have absolutely no way of finding out, unless we're very, very, very, very, very patient.

Proxima Centauri is approx 4 light-years away.

35040 hours at 670,615,200 mph (186,282 mi per sec) - that's a long drive without a gas station.

And that's at the speed of light. And that's just the closest star. IIRC, the next closest is 17 light-years away.

We don't have powerplants that can propel a vehicle to a speed even remotely approaching c, let alone a fraction of such velocities.

A vehicle which travels at 100,000 mph, which is about as fast as we can make things go at the present time, is still only moving at 0.0001491165 of c...even a MILLION miles an hour only drops one of those zeroes to the right of the decimal point.

Thousands of years just to reach the nearest star.

Then there's the whole relativity thing.

So my opinion is that the odds of other intelligent life in the universe are about even (and the evidence we've seen in our own system lends strong support to that theory), but we're all tiny, remote islands, separated by the inconceivably vast distances of space, where there is no means of breaching the gulf the separates us from others.

I know what you're thinking, but even the Greys can't confound the physics of the Universe and exceed the speed of light, warp space, etc. - it's just plain against the law.

There may be principles we don't yet understand where such ideas are possible, but by Occam's Razor (meaning that all things being equal, the simplest explanation is probably the correct one) says that (thus far) none of them are.

So as for extraterrestrial beings, it's pretty simple, really:

1. They exist, but there is no way of crossing the astronomical divide, or

2. They don't exist, and Mankind is completely alone in the vast Universe.

Given that there are metaphysical (and even physical!) phenomena Mankind has yet to quantify and understand, it may be possible that what we perceive as extraterrestrials actually originate in different dimensions, universes, or realities.

They could be around us right now, but we lack the means with our current senses to detect them (think about that next time you kill some kittens :S:D). Instruments won't work, because it's not possible to quantify or measure something that isn't there in the first place...

I once thought Prof J Allen Hynek was a quack, until I read his work, and realized how much he'd been maligned and misunderstood in the whole UFO business.

Hynek was a scientist, and he approached UFO studies as a hard-nosed skeptic, which is just what a scientist should be. He demanded pure, hard, empirical evidence, and peer review.

He wouldn't hesitate to call baloney when he smelled it, and he made a lot of enemies among the hardcore UFO believers.

Where he fell down, IMHO, was when he couldn't get the idea of keeping an open mind about UFOs (that is, being prepared to accept evidence that one's scientific training wasn't readily prepared to deal with in an effort to not overlook vital clues [Many scientific breakthroughs have been achieved by accident, in part because the scientists involved were willing to investigate things that didn't fit the pattern they'd conditioned themselves to expect].)
across in a way that the media didn't lambaste as goofy.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

"I have recently been presented "Undisputable Evidence" Aliens from outer space are abducting people. What is your opinion? "

I'd say show us the evidence, so we might be empowered to make our own minds up about it.B|

But quite frankly, I'm already sceptical on the abduction issue, so its going to have to be robust, and I may have to enlist a third party to check the evidence, and any associated rationale. Depending on the nature of the evidence.....:)B|
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson