wildblue

Strange wuffo questions

One of the experienced jumpers, who is actually a pretty small guy, at my home DZ was telling a first jump student that he could catch thermals in freefall and gain altiude. Atleast we thought it was pretty funny, once the student figured out he as joking (it actually took a while), it kinda upset him, but it was still pretty dang funny. :)AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

OK, I have a good one!
RealTV came out to our DZ a while back to do a segment on this or that (I don't really remember). Anyway, the were looking at the student jumpsuits & asked what the puffy things on the arms and legs were for (the grippers). Our DZO told him that they were static dissipaters, that if they didn't jump with them when they were falling through all the protons & neutrons (or whatever) in the air that when they landed it would electrocute the jumper! LOL He said that after every jump they had to be discharged... "how do you do that?" He then pulled out a dryer sheet & started rubbing it all over the grippers! LOL :D They completely bought it..."uhh, yeah I can understand that!"
God bless the uninformed
Oh, btw: all this was done on camera! ROFL
"Pull High.... It's lower than you think!"

Gee Aggie Dave, who must that have been?
I admit though, I always thought it was funny when they would tell new students you could land on a cloud and make another jump, with your reserve or with plastic bag. One person actually believed that and no one had the heart to tell him it wasn't true! That is a cruel cruel dropzone...

stacy,
you gotta point this former aff student out to me. If im gonna be snickering a lot on the dz this summer (you know why, and i promise to go at least 20 feet away before laughing) then i might as well have many things to get a good chuckle out of. hehe. Hey, no tricks on sunday. You and grogs had better behave. Cant wait for SUNDAY!!!!!! yeah!
froggie

HA HA HA HA! There you are Iflyme.....I've missed you. Haven't seen you around much lately. It's nice to see that sense of humor again.
MUCH LOVE AND BLUE SKIES!
Carrie
Hi C-girl!!! I've been here the whole time ... haven't missed a beat ... my 2 little girls have been sick and home from school the whole week, so I've been doing more reading than posting! But you and the others are keeping me entertained! Thanks for the nice note! :)

Hey, about that breathing in freefall thing - I have actually seen it reported on an NBC network show that "skydivers don't breath in freefall because their bodies absorb oxygen ..."
So remember, the next time the TV crew shows up, they might broadcast ANYTHING you tell them!!!

Speaking of news crews showing up... last summer at my dz we had a first jump student land on a parked plane. I guess he fixated on it and went feet first right into the tail section. Broke his ankle, it turns out. Well, dz policy is, a student gets hurt, we call 911. So the call goes out to local EMS services (ya gettin' this, froggie?) that "a parachute jumper hit a plane." About 5-7 minutes later, the local fire crew shows up and begins first aid procedures.
Followed by the ambulance from the next town.
Followed by the local ambulance.
Followed by the ambulance from the other nearby town.
Followed by that town's other EMS unit. I'm guessing they were thinking it was a mid-air collision and they'd be looking for pieces over half the county. And then the news crew shows up - we didn't even let them on the airport, since there was pretty much nothing newsworthy to report, and they would likely have done a story on the "local club of crazies" who caused this poor fellow to smash his ankle.
Five EMS units responding to a cracked ankle - who says skydiving isn't a big draw? ;)

i sure will. he laughs about it now. he's abit of a cold weather chicken so he wont' be back out until spring really starts up. =c) And lets make the 20 foot rule 50. Things echo in the hangar. =c) I also just thought I would say, it's March. AND in exactly 2 days you will be jumping. =c) See ya on the King Air!
Stacy
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks

The one I hear the MOST is "why would you want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane?" To which I usually responed "because the door was open"
I also hear "oh man, skydiving, that aint nothing, I would do that, I just don't have the time to do it, you just jump out, right?" Usually said buy a male wuffo while there are girls around that he wants to impress, but you never see the dude at the drop zone.
Blue ones!!

gave me the ticket and life moves on. the longer i thought about it the more i thought, what an asshole! how stereotypical can one whuffo be? geez. pretty funny though...my nickname after that for awhile was "Satanic Dope-Smoking Adrenaline Junkie"

I have had the same problem with stereotyping. I work for the government with a bunch hoity-toity accountants. At my job we have to act a certain way, do all of our "proper" networking etc. VERY POLITICAL! (Trust me, this is a temporary job till I am done my pilots license) I was here for almost a year before people started to find out that I was a skydiver. The people that know me seem to be okay with it and just shake their heads, but the older employees really seem to frown down upon it like I am some crazy kid who needs to grow up. (funny how I was considered a colleague BEFORE they found out about the skydiving) I wonder how they would feel about me if they knew about the tattoo and pierced navel??? :D
Tee

. (funny how I was considered a colleague BEFORE they found out about the skydiving)

Tee, quit speaking for me woman...he he he! What I have to add to that is in my situation, I'm a swim coach/instructor. My boss loves the idea that I skydive and so do all the parents of the kids I teach who have caught me reading Parachutist in between classes. Some of the parents, at the end of the season even gave me skydiving-related presents. It was all very cool EXCEPT, there's always 1 who doesn't approve and with 1 complaint from a parent to my boss about having a *skydiver* teach her children and that I probably do drugs and can't be trusted, blah, blah, blah, I am no longer allowed to talk about it to the parents of the kids I teach. (I do anyways to the ones I know love to hear about it:)On a cuter note though, one family in particular who I've taught both their kids for 2 years now and love that I skydive, the little 6-year-old girl can't WAIT to go up in a plane and jump out and her parents totally support her! I think it's beautiful. Obviously, you know who my favorites are:)MUCH LOVE AND BLUE SKIES!
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

Tee, quit speaking for me woman...he he he

Right back at ya! :D

the little 6-year-old girl can't WAIT to go up in a plane and jump out and her parents totally support her! I think it's beautiful

Gotta love those "future skydivers" and their supportive parents. My brother has 4 kids (the boyz are 5 and 3 and the twin girls are 8 months) and the boyz LOVE to come out to the dz with me (can't wait to get the girls out there). If you ask my nephews what they want to be when they grow up they say "a skydiver!" I just reply...sweetie, you don't have to grow up for that! :D

My instuctor when I went through the student program told me about someone who fixated on the airplane parked on the ground and flew right in the door and landed inside without hitting the sides of the door. Luckily the person wasn't hurt, just a little shooken up.
Blue Skies,
Adam

One day when I was out at the DZ, there were a few people there to watch their friend do a tandem.. While she was waiting for her turn, her and her friends started asking me some questions.. "What happens if your parachute doesn't open?" I replied "Well, then you deploy your reserve".. "What happens if the reserve parachute doesn't open?" There was a pickup truck sitting in the parking lot, right up against the fence, with the landing area on the other side of the fence.. It had a brand new mattress(still wrapped in plastic) in the back.. I pointed at the truck and said "Well, that's what the mattress is for.. You just aim for the mattress, and it'll break your fall.. At least one or two people have to use it everyday.."
Their response? "Wow, that's pretty cool.."
Mike

Patkat,
i feel bad for the residents of your town! Only one rig should have showed up on location. The fire dept., being the first on schene, should have figured that one out on thier own. Hate to see what would happen if a plane actually crashed! weve had two in my hometown, and neither one attracted any more apparatus then our FD and our EMS. hehe. must be a small town your dz is in, a little action goes a long way huh?
froggie
ps- if you ever need an ambulance asap. tell em you just ran into a moving tractor trailor or something, your bouond to have all the rigs in a 20 mile radius show up :)

Yeah, Froggie, you're right on both counts - it's a small town, and it was a slow day for EMS. Still, I gotta imagine no one reported that they were responding, or at least no one paid attention.
("Hey, Maytown said they're responding, 2 minutes out..." "Awww, lets go look at the airplanes anyway - I wanna go see the pretty airplanes...")
Anyway, Maytown, the municipality nearest my dz is so small that all the residences surrounding it have a Marietta address, (Marietta being the slightly larger town just to the south) because - get this - the post office is too small to handle the extra mail. That's right, they ran out of P.O. boxes and had to start making new addresses Marietta instead of Maytown.

Well one time I was hanging out with some friends and we were talking about someone commiting suicide by jumping off a high building. One of my friends said "Well, she would probably be dead before she hit the ground from suffocation" I was like "What?!" She said "Oh you know, from all of the air rushing up..." I just looked at her and said "Think about it, I skydive from 14,000 ft and I don't suffocate!" She was just like "oh..." It was pretty funny at the time.