Hellian

saw a nassssty video t'other night

anyone see "you've been framed" on itv, i think last night, saw a video of a base jump from a bridge, where one guy jumped and opened, another guy followed and went straight through the first guys canopy! i think the canopy straightened out, or he might have cut away, you can't quite see (or maybe i'm blind) but both seemed ok, but damn that musta shaken them up!
Has anyone had a near miss like this? how common are canopy entanglements? (apart from during CreW where i guess they happen "fairly" frequently)
Ed

I saw a pretty scary video on Saturday. It was an ASP dive (two JM's on the sides and one student in the middle). Anyway as the dive is going and the student starts doing his practice rip cord touches with the camera flier flying just above, a 747 (or some other airliner) flew just underneath them!!! It was really close, like maybe 100' to 200' below. It was amazing, I dont think the student saw the jet, but the JM's and the camera flier saw it. Thier reactions were priceless!!!
Greg A-37958

Musta been nasty for them knowing what happened! surely they monitor teh air traffic before sending a load up?!
If i go to nottingham university next year i'm gunna have the advantage of being at langar where there aren't any planes taking off or landing other than jump ships! w00t, that must mean they put more loads up, hehe.
Ed

Hey Brandon, I was watching it at the dz on Saturday, and to be quite honest, I was far too impressed by the video (and prolly buzzed on the beer and shots:o) to find out what the name of the video was, sorry:(. I will try to find out and let you know.
Greg A-37958

There are a couple of companies that make cutaway-able BASE rigs. The Vertigo Sorcerer, for example, is one. Go to www.vertigobase.com and check out their infor on the rig. They even have a movie clip of a BASE cutaway!
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

I guess they musta been well lucky that it didn't disentangle!
whoever posted the link above, that was the right one, now i have it on my hardrive, does anyone know if something went really wrong? i couldn't see much of an off heading opening by the middle person, but i guess they were in the most troulbe as the other one at least hadn't got his canopy out yet.
Ed

>anyone see "you've been framed" on itv, i think last night, saw a video of a base jump from a bridge,
>where one guy jumped and opened, another guy followed and went straight through the first guys canopy!
that was likely yuri, from bridge day 98 or 99. he went through a jumper's canopy due to a screwup in exit and opening orders. he was a bit burned, but otherwise fine. the jumper he hit landed in the water, but she was OK too.
>Has anyone had a near miss like this?
a friend of mine hit another canopy at breakoff six years ago. he died, the guy whose canopy it was lost a leg. i guess that wasn't a near miss though. i've come within about 20 yards of a student's canopy, when he dove towards me, rolled onto his back, then pulled. (i swear, sometimes i'm positive they're trying to kill me.)
>how common are canopy entanglements?
getting more common, unfortunately. with fast canopies that snivel a lot and open off-heading frequently, and the increase in freeflying groups, the odds of a collision go up dramatically. according to bryan burke (former skydive arizona manager) that was the biggest cause of fatalities over the past few years at eloy.
-bill von

Man, I recently was skydiving in TX @ Skydive Spaceland and was reviewing some of the videos they had there.. They showed me one of this guy who deployed and had a broken steering line I believe -- he waved at the canopy and then chopped it.. deployed the reserve and had a lineover.. he faught the thing to about 300 feet or so and it corrected itself... it was crazy.. can you imagine a double malfunction!?

Since it was a lineover, correcting it would have meant using his hook-knife to cut the line, so slowing down wouldn't have been his biggest problem, maybe getting his hands on the toggles in time and where he landed would have been his main concerns after cutting the line. I'm guessing the rigger who packed that reserve paid for the subsequent work and repack on/of the reserve (especially since by the account his body position was OK when he went for silver).
Must be a HUGE embarrassment for a rigger for that to happen on a reserve he/she packed!
/s

He had enough time to land fine.. took his camera helmet off turned it around and said "i'm f*cking done for today" :) that would just freak me out man.. I don't know the whole story as far as the rigger and such.. but the video was enough to make me think twice about the kind of sport i'm in to.

he waved at the canopy and then chopped it...

I haven't seen this video, but I've heard about it! Doesn't he talk his way through it? Like, "Ooh, look at the bad parachute. Wave bye-bye to the bad, bad parachute!" Then he waves, chops, then "Oh crap!"
That video's famous!! :)

Hey Hellian,
Langar generally doesn't have a problem with other air traffic other than the odd errant microlight and occasional military traffic (which gives a wide berth). However, one of the instructors there said that he was at 2000' under canopy over the DZ when two Tornados passed directly below him. Whoooaahhh!!!