pds

pay a packer, set your own brakes?

Fuck packers. Seriously. I'd love to the reaction if I told a tandem passenger to edit their own video, or a Level 1 AFF student to gear themselves up and/or fill out and sign their own log book. If you're going to do a job, do the fucking job start to finish. Especially when it's the highest paying job on the DZ. Fuck packers. I refuse to use them based entirely on this "do half the job yourself" shit.

Canuck

couldn't agree more. Pack your own, you will be able to pack just as fast or faster than them and also pack cleaner IF you work hard at packing I only have about 500 jumps but i know i have close to 1200 pack jobs because i would practice almost every night packing for speed and cleanlines of pack i can pack in about 6min without really hussleing. I just dont really trust many people, Just a few i wolud let pack
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

And don't even get me started on the greedy cocksuckers at Eloy that charge more for canopies over 100 sq. ft.

Canuck

Depends on what you are used to paying for a packjob. If you normally pay $6 for your sub 100, you are getting a discount at Eloy. The first time is saw their sliding scale, I thought it was interesting. Tiny canopy packs faster, big boat longer, hence the price difference. Not sure if I agree, but interesting.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I thought the fee system at Eloy was weird.... It doesn't take me any longer to pack a large canopy than a small one. The biggest thing that makes a difference is number of jumps on the canopy, not size! Tandems being the exception to that, but there's more to than than square feet of fabric increase compared to sport rigs as well.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Dude, SHUT UP already!:P So when you ya going to start working on your rigging ticket so things don't get bent anymore?

You just elluded to something important: Rigger tickets. I was FASCINATED to learn how many of our packers at Nylon City here at Z-hills are certificated riggers. Almost every single one of them is a "real" rigger. Good stuff. I have never been to another dropzone where this was the norm.

Chuck

Yes your right, I was impressed too while there last time and did let my clients cover the last pack job's of the day, the guys and gals at nylon city did a great job and my rig's were well taken care of and the openings were soft and on heading, and for 6 bucks they did the whole job with no bitchen about my brakes and slider and PC being left unstowed, not once was I or my clients asked or told to do it. This is one of the few times and few places I would hire packers, it is a very well run operation.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I have yet to see tandem masters setting breaks as well, it's the packers job and they get paid to do so.

That is true,

The only times I have had someone pacjk for me was also the only time I saw tandem masters srowing the brakes was on extremely busy days in New Zealand (140 pax+) myself and allt he camera staff had to back to back so had tohave packers and the packers would get so far behing when 2 planes were operating that we all had to help pack the tandems, to keep the plane in the air. It was teamwork because we all knew the the more efficient we could do it the more jumps we could do in that day, my biggest day was 18 camera jumps and I still packed half of them.

I only use a packer if I really have to!

Packers are paid to pack, stowing the brakes is packing.

If they want you to stow the brakes than you should get a dollar or 2 off the price!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I unstow my slider and set my brakes in the field before I even walk back in, but I'm not going to bother with recocking my PC, since it's gonna need to be redone anyway (mine doesn't "stay" cocked when the bag is empty). Furthermore, I'm obsessive about having a cocked PC, so if I notice it's uncocked before I gear up, well... I'll burn that bridge when I come to it :D

But on the other hand, I ask the packer where he/she/it wants me to put it, and then I'll lay it out nice and neat.

I only use packers when I'm on vacation though, and I'm getting out of that habit as my new canopy gets broken in. My canopy doesn't need any special treatment. I don't roll the nose, and I only roll the tail enough to keep it closed, and I'll have 800' openings. I was getting 1,200' openings at Perris because of whatever voodoo the packer was doing :D
cavete terrae.

I dont like the idea of stowing your brakes when you land. You become an obstacle and a target. Stowing should be done in the packing area...

I partially agree with you, if it's a small/crowded landing area with a lot of traffic, but here are my thoughts:

1. I usually am freeflying, by myself. I'm usually the among the last people to touch down, if not the last.

2. I'm 6'3", I wear a bright red jumpsuit and have a bright blue 190 sqft canopy. If you can't see me and avoid that obvious of an obstacle, please let me know so I can never get on a load with you.

Obviously at a crowded DZ it's going to be different, but when I'm jumping somewhere with a huge landing area and they're only turning one turbine or a couple of Cessnas, I'm doubting the next 30 seconds is putting that much of an imposition on other jumpers to land sanely.
cavete terrae.

No criticism meant, but I couldn't stop a humorous image coming to mind of a big, bright red and blue people magnet in the landing area.
Same thing as that one lonely tree in the middle of a huge empty field that always seems to catch a parachute.
I usually set my brakes right after landing too.
Zing Lurks

2. I'm 6'3", I wear a bright red jumpsuit and have a bright blue 190 sqft canopy. If you can't see me and avoid that obvious of an obstacle, please let me know so I can never get on a load with you.

No offense Steve but that is CRAP reasoning.
It's far easier for you to take one step left to avoid a canopy landing than for the pilot to manouvre around you.
Eyes peeling on the landing zone mate;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

No offense Steve but that is CRAP reasoning.
It's far easier for you to take one step left to avoid a canopy landing than for the pilot to manouvre around you.
Eyes peeling on the landing zone mate;)

If I think I'm gonna get hit, I'm dropping to the deck. I'm not stepping left or right, because I have no way of knowing what Joe Canopypilot is gonna do.

In any case, my point stands. If you can't avoid a stationary object, stick to the student landing area or something. From the perspective of the person landing, I'd personally rather see people just stay put until everyone's down, rather than trying to negotiate unpredictable moving targets. This is why I've had people notice and comment that I don't move from where I set down until I'm sure nobody is landing in my area. Of course that doesn't hold at a multi-plane DZ or boogie, but those are a different story altogether.

if there's enough ground traffic to make me nervous, I just land away from everyone else. I have a long history of doing it, and I'll have an equally long future where I will do it as well. An extra couple hundred feet of walking hasn't killed me yet, and if it does, feel free to put "Died as a fat fuck" on my tombstone.

If people can't deal with landing in traffic, they shouldn't land in traffic. At every DZ I've been to thus far, there's a shitload of space to land if you can't handle avoiding a person that's sitting in one place.
cavete terrae.

If I think I'm gonna get hit, I'm dropping to the deck. I'm not stepping left or right, because I have no way of knowing what Joe Canopypilot is gonna do.

That is the BEST thing you can do. Please, people, if you have any doubts just hit the deck. Running either way can put you in the path the pilot was using for avoidence.

Grue, Squeak is correct though in that you shouldn't assume anything simply because of your size and colors - and don't forget, anyone can make a mistake.

If you're going to stow your stuff in the field, please check around you often for anyone landing. The skydive isn't over until you're in the hanger.

Blues,
Ia
Performance Designs Factory Team

No criticism meant, but I couldn't stop a humorous image coming to mind of a big, bright red and blue people magnet in the landing area.
Same thing as that one lonely tree in the middle of a huge empty field that always seems to catch a parachute.
I usually set my brakes right after landing too.

If you can land in a tree, that is pretty darn good accuracy eh?

Same as you, I usually set my brakes right after landing as well.
-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…