Ric

fall rate

i have a fall rate and then some and find it difficult to stay with the smaller people in life (gus) When i put on my extreme de-arch i look stupid (one lad spent the whole dive laughing at me) and can't move about as well. My other mate spends the whole of his life bitchin about how uncomfortable the lead he wears is !! I can turn on a six-pence when i'm in my natural position but my mates just have broken backs and red faces (the pain). Apart from making them eat pies and wearing a drogue has any-one got any secret special techiniques??
and before any funny people say lose weight i am the correct weight for my height (6 ft 4) so don't bother.

well, the only thing I can think of is maybe your jumpsuit. You don't want to jump in a tight fitting nylon front suit. I would recommend a loose fitting polly-cotton suit. The extra drag from this fabric will help slow your fall rate!!

Have you tried a "baggy" jumpsuit? I have the opposite problem, most of the people I jump with are larger than me and fall much faster. Usually when they jump with me they wear loose fitting jumpsuits, while I jump with a t shirt and jeans only (and arch hard).

It's all in the jumpsuit. Talk to whoever sells jumpsuits at your DZ (if you have a person there who does that) and get measured for a jumpsuit. You'll want to get one that's baggy and has non-slick material on the front to slow you down. You could even have swoop cords installed if you're an extreme faller. Talk to some jump suit manufacturers too. I've heard at least one manufacturer (Tony Suits?) can take your height, weight, and measurements, throw them into a computer, and determine your natural fall rate and the type of jumpsuit you need to slow you down to an exact freefall speed (109 or 120).

I'm with you Ric, literally falling next to you. I posted asking the same thing and got the same responses. If your doing RW you might want to try flying mantis with your arms level and hands flat. It slowed me a little and I still was able to control myself pretty good.
I even tried a birdman. That was a trip, I couldn't stay down with the formation. Go baggy call your distributer and tell them the problem.

I have a 'friend' who has this problem. Because of my inherent skills and general all round goodness I've got used to how fast he falls but others often comment on what a fat f*** he is.
This friend of yours that has to wear lead, you should definately give him some slack. Perhaps you should be pleased that someone is willing to risk their safety/sanity and jump with you at all. My sympathies to anyone that has had to spend 4 days solid with you trapped on a Spanish airfield, knee deep in water and gale force winds.
A baggy suit might help my friend but perhaps he should start with laying off the Mars Bars for breakfast. Alternatively he could get on with some work and stop arsing about on the Internet.
Just a couple of thoughts really.
Gus

Christmas 2000 in Empuriabrava. To be fair the other 6 days were mint and I wasn't forced to actually talk to my fast-falling friend too much (I'm only playing). Should be back there over the summer if things go to plan.
Gus

If you're looking for a quick fix (and to experiment) try wearing a tee-shirt or (for even slower) a sweatshirt over your jump suit. It should give you a fairly good indication of fall rate potential with different fabric. --make sure it is tucked in good to your leg straps as a safety precaution. People can still get upper arm grips through the fabric also.

I hate to sound like the odd person out here (so to speak), but I think that once you have done what you can (baggy, rough jumpsuit, body position, dieting, shrinking?) the rest is up to your fellow jumpers. They can do more to speed up than you can to slow down. There have been discussions here about fast fall rates, are they good or bad, but there is a large school of thought that says we should all fall as fast as possible, which puts you into the elite class :)Seriously, I used to have a pain-in-the ass office mate who used to say we should keep the temperature low in the office because it was easier for the cold people to warm up than it was for the hot people to cool off. Kind of an odd one, but the point is that you are not wrong for falling fast, and others are not right. Everyone has to do what they can to match fall rates, but at the end of the day, they can do more than you can, so they should.
My (whatever) pence.
Carl

Carl makes a good point. People half my weight who can't be bothered to arch really piss me off. Before I got my new jumpsuit it took my slowest falling position just to stay up with them. Now things aren't so bad, but still this is supposed to be a group effort.
I have friends my height and 40 lbs. heavier and I can keep up with them fine just by arching, and I'm not all that flexible.

Faster is better . . . if you're doing your part with your jumpsuit selection, and other jumpers still give you a hard time, find other people to jump with. I am a "big 'un" as well and I conquer the problem by knowing my limits (where to allow myself to be slotted in a formation) and having a wide selection of jumpsuits. BTW, one particular series of jumps I was involved in had a fall rate that was kinda in between my fast and medium suit. I used the sweatshirt technique (over the jumpsuit) mentioned earlier which worked like a charm. It created just enough drag to "fine tune the fall rate for me. The other thing your mates can do to help you out is drink more Guiness!
Respectfully,
SP

If the baggy jumpsuit does't work, you can always belly fly with freeflyers and dock on their toes, heads, etc.

WC, Sounds like you're experienced in these 3D skydives.
BTW, got this new tight-ass RW suit from FliteSuit. I can fall 109mph (exit wt. ~190lbs.) in this new suit so I know it's not the suit that makes you fall faster. I'm sure it helps having different materials, etc. but it's body position and flying your slot.

Hey Shark. 3D dives have always been a favorite of mine. I'm always searching for fast belly people! 109 on your belly? YOU? You must be smoking crack because I know you fall like a greased safe. Anyways, if it is true, maybe we can do some rw next time. Can you make it to Monterey with me, Bunny, and Dave in a couple weeks?

Hey Shark. 3D dives have always been a favorite of mine. I'm always searching for fast belly people! 109 on your belly? YOU? You must be smoking crack because I know you fall like a greased safe. Anyways, if it is true, maybe we can do some rw next time. Can you make it to Monterey with me, Bunny, and Dave in a couple weeks?

Got it on my ProTrack...Okay, so I laid base on a 22 way with the Brits. Ya know how it floats. So, how bout 115 half naked (gym shorts and t-shirt). And 113 on a 4 way skydive?!
Dunno 'bout Monterey... On Memorial Day? The last recon encountered fog & haze and ended up jumping Hollister in the AM.

I can fall 109mph

Hey, Shark - that was my AVERAGE speed during my style series the other weekend - I'm tall and slim... I fall like a leaf. People have a hard time falling slow enough to stay with me... I think I need to get a jump suit painted on... the good news is tonite I did my first jump with my new dive blocks - yeehaw!!! Beer!!!

cheers for the advice, but i decided to fall like a bat out of hell and others can just keep up! (love it extreme) Like my instructor once said "I have to put my fuckin ballistic suit on when we jump together"
Ohh yeah.... respect to all the monteray bay jumpers, It's where I did my first jump (tandom with Raff) two years ago and I've never looked back, i love this ground rush shit. Awesome view you guys have got there !

that was my AVERAGE speed during my style series the other weekend

Hey Frank....you finally got to do it!!! Hope it went well. :)As for slowing down your fall rate, I can be a floater at times and the heavy weights at my dz just toss on their swoops when we jump and if they need to use them, they work wonders. :)Tee