mbolism

chicks don't swoop!!!!!

A HARD toggle turn basically stalls that side of the canopy causing the opposite side to fly forward creating the turn. A riser turn pulls the leading edge of the "wing" down so it's flying down and into the altered relative wind. The key word is flying, i.e. creating lift. If you riser turn, you may, depending on altitude, be able to counter with toggles. If you toggle turn, all you can do is wait for the whole wing to start flying again...and pray.
Sounds like everyone is talking about a good progression. Front riser from straight in, 45 deg, 90 deg, and 180 deg turns. And remember, the low altitude hook turn record can never be broken, only tied.
Less than 24 till the weekend, baby!!!

yup, that's why front risers are better for a high performance landing, toggles are better for EMT rides. I was replying to Clay who is using 180 toggle hooks, which IMHO are not teh way to learn to swoop.... double front risers straight in, then start with the turns safst way to learn.
dave

HMmmmm, I know a woman who does AWESOME Swoops and Turf-Surfs...but then she has around 6,300 skydives!
But, it's true, you don't see too many ladies swooping, unless it's into a formation in free-fall. To all the potential female canopy swoopers, I say GO FOR IT!...w/ caution.

BenW,
Kaz and Mike have been working at The Ranch for a few months now but they have not been a couple for even longer than that. They are friends. So Weid, ha ha ha, it's highly unlikely they were staying at the Holiday Inn Express:)If you are the team I am thinking of, then I remember when Kaz went to N.Y. to film a 4-way team in competition. Is it a 4-way team you are on?
I work for a skydiver who has his own publishing company and he put a picture of Kaz in a sit-fly on the cover of our book. HA HA HA ;).
CHICKS CAN SWOOP. Watch out boys, Brigitte Liss is only the beginning. Girls are just smart and take their time before trying to learn how instead of hormone'ing their way into it too early like most guys:D.
Much love and blue skies,
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

"do it with your front risers, not your toggles!"- Iflyme
I'm there with ya. You can recover much faster and your canopy is a heck of a lot more controllable with risers. I quite normally end up riding the front risers straight for a little ways before I let up to flare. Every once in a while I get crazy enough (like last weekend) that I come out of a one riser turn at about 10 ft or less ( usually scares me) then get a nice long swoop. I dont fly a particularly fast canopy so I have to get a little crazy to make it really swoop. Yes, it's very addictive.A straight in final seems pretty boring after you just ripped a good swoop the jump before.
"I used to know a girl...She had two pirced nipples and a black tattoo"-Everclear
Clay

if you are doing a high performance landing, do it with your front risers, not your toggles!

Right, I thought we had all agreed that radical toggle turns are old-school and dangerous.
But, I'm no expert. I spent exactly one day with Jim Slaton and his boyz learning this stuff. Most of the time, I was like "huh?", but we did spend some time going through the aerodynamics of performance canopy flight on the ground. Two things that stuck with me: toggle turns steal performance, which means they steal speed and maneuverability. Also, that a big loser is flow separation, which is just what it sounds like. When doing a radical turn, or getting into turbulence, the smooth airflow over the top of the canopy breaks, which reduces lift, causes drag, etc. It sounds like aerodynamic stall, actually. So, doing a snap toggle turn into a swoop sucks in multiple ways. It kills your lift by separating the flow and deforming the wing, and it reduces your ability to maneuver.
The better approach is to do smooth, carving, front riser approaches to build up speed and therefore lift, and then use the toggles to flatten out and then to flare at the end. In canopies with a negative recovery arc, I have heard that a toggle snap is an efficient way to transition from the dive to the surf, but I don't really know for sure.
Like I said, I can write all this pretty easy, but translating that to actual swoops is still something I'm working on. Some feedback from SM1 and you other experts would be appreciated. I'd rather not continue on under false pretenses or bad interpretations of stuff I heard once while drinking from a firehose.
By the way, the $200 for a day of five filmed and critiqued landings, ground school, etc. with Perris Evolution is highly worth it! Whatever your level, they will do the right thing for you. Very cool guys, very good instructors, and awesome canopy pilots!
Carl

mbolism said:
> Another good point, I have a huge amount of upper body strength and I can barely, and I mean barely
> front riser turn! I lifted weights 5 or 6 days a week for three years and it's still almost impossible for
> me to do.
5 or 6 days a week is way too much ! you muscules don't have time to recuperate and to grow. you
must be constanlty tired. try to work out 4 days a week and your front risers turns will greatly improve !!! :)
stan
c-31743

We have an instructor at Cross Keys who could swoop with the best of 'em. She's amazing, takes 16+ tandems a day, shoots incredible video, does AFF, and swoops like a pro. Go Ellen!!!
And Grogs, lets keep my swoop pic quiet. =c)
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks

As has already been stated, front riser turns decrease the angle of attack of the canopy(wing), thereby allowing the canopy to go much faster(reduce lift, reduce drag).. As a result, the canopy dives and causes a lot of altitude loss.....BUT, it IS FLYING..
With a toggle turn, you are just destroying lift on the side of the canopy that is pulled down.. For the toggles(at least the side that you pulled down) to regain effectiveness, it has to regain its shape and resume producing lift..
Lets keep it simple.. Lift=good.. No lift=bad.. Want to do "safe"(if such a thing exists) low turns, use front risers - keep the canopy producing lift..
Mike

With a toggle turn, you are just destroying lift on the side of the canopy that is pulled down.. For the toggles(at least the side that you pulled down) to regain effectiveness, it has to regain its shape and resume producing lift..

Actually, when you pull a toggle down, you increase lift on that side, but when you increase the lift you also increase the drag of the canopy on that side, and that makes it turn. The more you pull on the toggles, the more lift and drag you will get at the expense of airspeed.
And when you run out of sufficient airspeed to keep the canopy flying, you will lose lift. That hurts.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, safe swoops....
chris
"but hunny, I'll be away from my chute 5 weeks too..." -chris

Jessica- I totally agree... I told my boyfriend how many views and responses I had to this post and he said that I must've hit on a hot topic!!! Thanks everybody for the input! I did 7 jumps over the weekend (only 1 on Sunday because of the stupid weather!!!!) All were fun and I really got the hang of the front risers vs. toggle turns, etc.... UP HIGH of course! I told you guys I'd play it safe! I did the little low s-turns in and picked up a little speed...on a couple I had to run them in at full speed though! At least I was on my feet! More in my quest to swoop next week..P.S. I think I'm gonna' get a Mirage!
those who fear nothing may not live...those who fear everything may never live.

Jessica- I totally agree... I told my boyfriend how many views and responses I had to this post and he said that I must've hit on a hot topic!!! Thanks everybody for the input! I did 7 jumps over the weekend (only 1 on Sunday because of the stupid weather!!!!) All were fun and I really got the hang of the front risers vs. toggle turns, etc.... UP HIGH of course! I told you guys I'd play it safe! I did the little low s-turns in and picked up a little speed...on a couple I had to run them in at full speed though! At least I was on my feet! More in my quest to swoop next week..P.S. I think I'm gonna' get a Mirage!
those who fear nothing may not live...those who fear everything may never live.