ShortBus

Being 16 and licensed = trouble

well im 16 (yes im a kid) and about a month ago i finished my aff. Thats great and everything but im driving 3 and a half hours to indianna to jump the people are great and i dont care if its 7 hours these people are the greatest. but my dillema is that my local dz's wont let me jump because im a "minor" now excuse me for bitching but thats just not cool here i am an up and coming skydiver and im getting my wings clipped because of legal b/s. Im really just posting this to vent but if anyone could explain the whole legal mumbo jumbo and why everyone is sue crazy that would be great.
thanks for reading
Dan-
"get on the bus"

I agree with you in the sence that I think if you get a guardian signature I dont see a problem letting 16 yr olds jump. The problem is , is that someone is still responcible for you if something were to happen, and it all has to do with liability, insurance, and I'm sure other things. I'm just guessing here so if someone knows more please inform. But hey at least you get to jump even if it is 3 hrs away. As far as Sue happy people, I think a small percent of sueings in anything can hold water but I think most is just a way to get some money. And skydivers who sue because they fucked up and blame it out of lack of training need to go run infront of a moving bus so they have something to bitch about!!! Come on people we'er all adults here...well most.... You should know if your getting adiquit (spelling?) training. If you not sure call other places and compare and ask LOTS of questions. Just my worthless .02
jason

>Im really just posting this to vent but if anyone could explain the
>whole legal mumbo jumbo and why everyone is sue crazy that would be great.
You answered your own question. Your parents can sue the DZ if you get hurt even if a) you signed the waiver and b) you don't want them to sue. People like to sue because it's easy money, and they figure that someone else's insurance will make them rich. Heck, we've got skydivers suing other skydivers for millions of dollars.
-bill von

Heck, we've got skydivers suing other skydivers for millions of dollars.

and this just really pisses me off.....we should have laws like the equestrian community has. the "rider beware" laws. that preven stupid lawsuits like that.
Marc
Because I fly, I envy no man on earth

its pretty easy to get over you obviously have your parents support (or u wouldnt of been able to jump in the first place) get your olds to write a letter with a contact number thats all you need it just has to say that they agree to let you jump at place a and understand the risks bla bla bla just make sure that they can get them on the number.
hell itsw works for me even boogies and dz's in other states

Alot of DZ's here specificly state "must be 18 yrs of age NO EXCEPTIONS" so even with a letter form the parental units it probably wont float. But hey it cant hurt to try , the worst they'll do is say no.
jason
(all I wanted was just one pepsi...and she wouldnt give it to me!!!!)

Hey bro, i'm 16 too. had the same problem u had, i emailed like every dz in the US and more than half of them said i can't jump since the law in most states say that a minor or a guardian can't sign away the rights of a minor.
if it helps us minors can still jump in z-hill FL, skydive lake wales FL, eloy AZ, skydive greene county OH, reaford parachute center, cleavland parachute center, skydive west tennessee TN, skydive california city CA, chiagoland skydiving IL, parachute center CA.
thats all the dz's that gave me positive answers to my emails
hope it helps
Free Skies,
Omri A-38593 :S

you named Mike Mullins' dz in Tennessee but not the one in Arizona...that's where he is during the winter...
Personally, if I could skydive at 16 I might have hurt myself or someone else because I thought I was invincible, I mean I look at the way I drove and can't imagine myself skydiving back then...not saying you guys are like that just that I was...
Sis
I lust for the ultimate rush...

"skydive west tennessee TN"
Hell, you oughtta be able to jump there. Isn't his kid 14 or so? Of course, I saw him hook it once and a bunch of old people and kids had to move out of the way so he wouldn't take there heads off..........
"This conversation ends right here Captain! You can talk to the ALO when he gets back."-Me
Clay

if it helps us minors can still jump in z-hill FL, skydive lake wales FL, eloy AZ, skydive greene county OH, reaford parachute center, cleavland parachute center, skydive west tennessee TN, skydive california city CA, chiagoland skydiving IL, parachute center CA.

And Skydive Opelika in Alabama.

yep a great fuken movie at that dam i want any one of those cars im getting those neons underbody lights put on my car havnt decided which colour yet.
I live my life half a mile at a time, nothen else matters, in that 10 seconds or less im free ,
Dom (vin diesel) The fast and the furious
i like mine better though everytime i hear it it sounds so related to skydiving (with a few minor aditions of course)
i live my life 14000 ft at a time, nothen else matters, in that 60 seconds or less im free

Yeah I had a real urge to go buy a supra with added nitrous after seeing that - the drive back from the cinema got a bit scary as well - everyone wanted to race all of a sudden! lol
Vin diesel = Hard bastard (See pitch black as well)
Blue ones
D
Thank crunchie its friday...