huffermoose

whata nut case

Just a little story for you
while i was in empuria last time i met a bloke who i had met 4 months before who did his aff in empuria
now he's got 33 jumps and was on a throw away and he did a solo in the U.K and went to deploy at 4000 feet however he forgot that he was on throw away so he kept his pilot chute in his hand so he was wondering when his chute was going to open and smoked it down untill 1500 feet which at this point he thought it's time to cut away and deploy his reserve. so his right hand came forward to the cutaway pad but he's still got his pilot chute in hand and cant grab the pad. so he says to himself "fuckit" and just deploys his reserve as he does this he lets go of the pilot chute and what do you know an eclipse of the sun! 2 chutes out and he lands it.
quite a scary one for you all to think about. i just thought to myself hmmmmmmmmmmmm ok hope your next jump goes well!!!
this pidgeons gotta fly

Ummmmmmm.......he deployed at 4000 .......and didnt do anything til 1500.........help me on my math but isnt that like close to 15 secs of nothing. Seems like someone better go over the emergency proceedures!!!!!! Right now I deploy just under 3000. If I dont have anything by 6sec at the LATEST,, over my head (yes I still count) I'm in emergency mode!!!! But hey diff strokes for diff fokes.
jason

Holy shit(yeah yeah Mrs. Radloff blah blah we get the point), I don't know what's scarier, that he forgot how to deploy, that he didn't do anything about his high speed mal for 2500 feet, or that once he saw what was up, he deployed both...
That's total preparedness for any situation, yessir...
Marc

he deployed at 4000 .......and didnt do anything til 1500.

Err.. He pulled out his hand deploy but did not release the pilot chute, so technically he did not "deploy". It's fascinating that he did not realize his mistake when he went in to pull the cutaway pillow; tells me he was not looking down at all. Ugly.
Chuck
My webpage HERE

Yeah....your right ...he didnt "deploy" at 4000. I guess I meant that he started his deployment proceedures at 4000. But still from the moment I pull that PC out I'm counting, and its still 15 (approx) sec too long to wait for something. Thanxs for the correction;)
jason

with 33 jumps, what kind of license do you get in spain? just with the aff you don't get anywhere. looks like who ever let this bloke jump on that dz cared enough to ask the right questions. face it - with 33 jumps you're just getting warmed up and are nowhere close of pro status. who ever let this guy up should have taken the time to ask the right questions.
to bad if a diver hits the ground and we come to find out that we could have prevented that by caring enough and doing our homework. I know, nobody want's to be a pain in the back, but who cares if it saves lives?
blue ones
phil

...and as a result our CCI (this happened at my home DZ) is now talking about putting students on throw-away from jump number one and I think he's got a point. Why confuse people with hip-mounted and ripcord systems when they'll be moving on to throw-away in 10 jumps time anyway?
Blues,
Gus

"Why confuse people with hip-mounted and ripcord systems when they'll be moving on to throw-away in 10 jumps time anyway?"

Exactly Gus.... I would bet that's exactly why this happened, he's just one of you stinkin AFFers who was taught to hold on to that damn ripcord no matter what. I'll bet he never lost a single one. When I first read this post I thought, "What fucking idiot!!" (sorry Mrs. Radloff), but once I thought about it for a second, this happens all the time, maybe not to this extreme, but it does happen. It doesn't make him an idiot, he did exactly what he was trained to do from the very beginning. It's just like any other procedure, once you get it engraved into your mind, it's hard to change. He simply did not prepare long or hard enough for the transfer to a throw-out.
This is something that's been debated on here in a lot of detail, That lingering question of whether or not to put students on throw-outs from jump #1. I personally have never pulled a ripcord in freefall (& hope that I never have to), and I think that all other newbies should be able to say the same thing.
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

Maybe because the spring-loaded pilot chute system IS safer. The fact that people screw up when they convert to throw-out is not the fault of the equipment. Think about your reserve for a second and why a spring loaded pilot chute is used. If someone isn't switched on enough after 33 jumps to do the conversion to throw-out (and knowing where this incident happened, he would have been thoroughly briefed beforehand) then this probably isn't the sport for them.
Converting from ripcord to throwout is not a big deal.

Hmmm Will, I thought the main reason for having a spring loaded pilot-chute on your reserve was to get the fabric into the air as fast as possible. As far as being safer, don't know if I agree with your sheep 'hearding' ass on that one, I thought that was one of the main reasons for people going to throw-outs. In a box-man position there was more of a chance for a spring loaded PC to get caught up in your burble, which was more likely to cause a horseshoe. I don't know if the safe/not safe factor is big enough to measure, but I do feel better (safer) on a throw-out, probably because that's all I know.
No, I don't think transitioning from a RC to throw-out is a big deal, there's absolutely something to be said for keeping your head out of your ass. I didn't mean to defend this guy.... no I don't think he's an idiot for holding on to the PC for a few seconds, but he is a complete moron for holding onto i for 15+ seconds & not realizing it even when reaching for his cut-away with the PC still in his hand! LOL
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

I did my 7 AFF jumps on a ripcord system, because that is what they used for all students. On jump #8, I grabbed a BOC rig. The rigger in the loft asked if I knew what I'd picked up. I said, "Yeah. I grab the handle on the bottom and throw it into the wind, right?" He told me that was correct and to make a few practice thow-outs at high altitude. No problem. It went smoothly, and I've never used a ripcord again.
I can see where it would be confusing if people got a BOC rig without knowing it, but if they go all the way through gear-up and the ride to altitude without checking, they are morons anyway. If they got to altitude with a somewhat unfamiliar rig, they should either ride the plane down or scap their previous jump plan and plan to be stable and make lots of practice pulls to ingrain the new system in their heads.
Just my $.02.
Justin
My Homepage

I too was trained on a ripcord at SkydiveUSA in Waller. After graduation I went to the Ranch to jump with my son. The school at the Ranch wanted me to work with Sonic on using a BOC and do a jump with him before releasing me to jump ( I had about 20 jumps at the time all on ripcord).
I had no problem with that and enjoyed getting to know Sonic and some of the other instructors.
On the first throw out, I did it exactly as instructed. After being released to jump, I was told a story of an "old" guy who held the pilot chute without realizing it. On the very next jump, I pulled the hacky and held it for a second or two without really meaning to hold it. Don't know if it was in response to the "old" guy story or just me. Sonic had insisted that I continue to pull higher than normal until I was comfortable even after being released. I really appreciated his advice at the time.
What I found to be the biggest change was not the throw, but the location of the BOC versus the ripcord. Several times I instinctively went for the hip location and then went to the BOC.
Changing equipment can be one of the contributing factors or another link in the chain leading to an incident. Therfore, I agree with several others above...students need to be trained on the equipment they are going to be using. When they get out on their own they should be entirely familiar and comfortable with the equipment.
B| Gemini
... Fear? Fear is riding the plane down ...

In a box-man position there was more of a chance for a spring loaded PC to get caught up in your burble, which was more likely to cause a horseshoe.

You were doing quite well until that bit - hmmm spring-loaded PC caught in burble causing horse-shoe malfunction? Don't think I've ever heard of that one... ;)
I still contend though that the spring-loaded PC system is more reliable/safer than the throw-out system. However the throw-out system is easier to pack and obviously you'd want a collapsable PC flying a smaller main. Ever heard of a high-speed mal caused by an uncocked spring-loaded PC in tow? Not really possible is it?
Will
PS I agree entirely with Justin's reply (which is really strange and quite annoying all at the same time.... ;))

"Don't think I've ever heard of that one..."
Ever watched a Spring Loaded P/C bounce around on a students back? I know on my first free fall Greg said it bounced 5 times before I remembered to check over my shoulder. (About 1 or 2 sec delay) Unlikely, but it is very possible for it to get caught on something while doing all that dancing.....
"Shut up Dummy!"- Fred G Sanford

I transistioned from rip cord to BOC with out instruction...I didn't have a license but was cleared to jump by myself at a DZ and grabbed a rig with the canopy I wanted to jump and it had a BOC. I'd seen it done before so I wasn't worried about it, had no problem.
The only problem I've ever had was when i rented gear once and it had a rip cord. I was worried I would throw it away...almost did, but held on. :)AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

My dz still uses ripcords though they did change the location from the right front hip to the BOC area. The reason they kept ripcords though was the greater chance of a student being in an unstable position at pull time. They said the spring loaded pilot chute has a better chance at catching clean air and not getting wrapped around you like a throw out pc. Made sense to me and I've known quite a few people deploy while unstable or on their back etc, including me and my husband, and we all had no problems. A few scrapes and bruises but good canopies. I didn't have any trouble converting to throw out on jump #25 but I did practice a lot ahead of time and I was nervous and at THAT time wishing we had just learned on throw outs from the beginning.
Skies,
D :P