Krosfyah

does anyone else think this is cruel?

So I am cruising out of Albuquerque to Raton, NM, in my rental and something catches my eye over on the access road.
A black lab is running around on the hard tonneau cover of a jacked up dodge truck. This was interesting to see him balance while barking at other cars, then run back into the cab of the truck through the sliding window. I then noticed the driver of the truck was pulling away from me and I had to accelerate to maintain view of the entertainment. I glanced down to notice we were both doing 75. Then, I had a pleasant feeling of respect for the surefootedness of that beautiful K9 on a slick black urethane-coated tonneau.
Kick ass.
mike
...red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me...

OK I had to pipe up on this.
I've been on about 10 loads with this guy and I can tell you the little dog DOES NOT seem to be enjoying himself. The little critter shakes and shivers from the time he starts suiting up 'til he's back on the ground. When the jump run starts and the door opens the little dog has a look of fright that is readily recognized.
Most folks at our DZ frown on this practice (he's still allowed to jump) and have kinda black balled the guy socially (one chick has made a crusade of this and has contacted PETA and SPCA? and several Florida DZ's trying to get him ousted).
btw, the dog is in the 2002 Guiness Book - pg 103.
My $.02
Whit

Another skydiver was mentioned earlier in this thread, who had a dog that he took named Pud. My understanding is that his dog did like doing the jumps. Some dogs like it some don't. If it is easy to see that the dog is not enjoying itself, then yea, it seems wrong to take it up (and down).
The door swings both ways. All dogs aren't the same.
"Can't keep my mind from the circling sky. Tongue-tied & twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I."

I'd have to say that putting a dog in the back of a pick-up is much more dangerous than taking one on a skydive... As for dogs and children, I have both, and would trade the animals life for a humans in a flash...
PETA ? total wackos... SPCA? Misguided do-gooders...IMHO

>I've been on about 10 loads with this guy and I can tell you the little dog DOES NOT seem to be enjoying himself.
>The little critter shakes and shivers from the time he starts suiting up 'til he's back on the ground.
Hmm. Pud seemed to like to jump. He shook and shivered a lot, but he did that on the ground too - he was sort of a high strung little dog.
-bill von

I used to own an "elite" moped and my dog was scared shitless of it !!! then one day I told her to climb up and sit down where you put your feet and off we went. Ever since that day I could not get outof the yard without her wanting to climb on and go for a ride!!!!!
jason

I met this guy at ICAS this year...first off the guy was an asshole...and the dog was afraid of everyone and anyone that came near him....
Now as far as dogs in freefall....I know if I could take my dogs out they would probably like it as they love the wind in there face in the car...so 120 mile wind would make them that much happier....I just dont know about this dog..
marc
"...a mind stretched with new idea's will never regain its shape"

Ok, let's clear something up. This thread has mentioned 2 different skydivers who have jumped with their dogs. The one in the picture is the guy who the general consensus thinks is a dick, and whose dog seems less than thrilled to be going out of a plane with his master.
The other is a guy(his name slips my mind right now) who went in, but who used to jump with his dog "Pud," and who everyone who knew him said he was an awesome guy.
Maybe everyone understood this about this thread but it looked like the distinction had gotten lost, and it would be dumb to be trying to respond to posts, thinking they were all about the same person. :)"Can't keep my mind from the circling sky. Tongue-tied & twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I."