Krosfyah

what made you want to jump?

i was trying to think about this the other day, when speaking to a non jumping friend as to where my motivation had originally come from to want to skydive.
I racked my brains and i can't remember anything other than when i was about 7 we were asked by the teacher in class what we wanted to be, if we could be anything. Most kids said "football players, policemen, doctors, nurses, astronauts, pop stars etc" the usual kids thing - i said if i could be anything i wanted to be a bird. I remember people in the class laughing but the teacher thought it was very interesting (i guess because it was pretty unexpected).
I didn't see what the fuss was about - all i could think of was "if i could be anything, i sure as heck would rather be the one thing that can fly about than something like a boring doctor!"
I guess for the moment (until reincarnation, and i get my wish) human flight will have to suffice :)
What about you guys? Was it from watching Superman, having relatives in the sport or simply curiousity?

For me the first time was when i was camping when I was about 12. I was lying on a picnic table looking up at the sky and dreamed that I would be able to be up there with everything else. Knowing that I didm't want to be an astronaut I looked into what else what available. Sky diving has now consumed my life and lived up to everything I wanted it to be
Who ever said comming down from a high was bad obviously never tried this.
Magistr8

I always, always wanted to fly, and dreamed about it all the time. Still do.
Then I moved to a place where paragliding and hang gliding were popular, and watched them with envy.
Then I moved to where I live now, just a few minutes from the drop zone. From my front yard, I can watch people jump. After that, the desire sort of entrenched itself. Watching the Skyhawks a few years back only made it stronger. Now I just wish I hadn't taken so long to decide to go for it!
no one soars too high, who soars on her own wings

I can remember living at Fort Benning, Ga. in the early 70's seeing the legs get pulled up and dropped from the towers. Six Flags over GA had a ride like the Benning towers that my dad would take me on. I think those were my first desires to jump.

First jump: because I was bored with my life.
Next 16 jumps: because I don't like to quit and my instructors kept me motivated.
Why I'm still jumping: I want to be able to fly my body. It just seems like a totally free way to express yourself.

I was in the marines when I started jumping. I guess I thought I was immoral..... oops immortal (most marines are immoral) and wasn't affriad of nothing so I thought I would try skydiving.
Idiocy = Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

I remember watching Rob Harris, Patrick DeG., and all them skysurfing on ESPN back in the day when they used to cover it. I was too young to try it (skydiving, not skysurfing, lol:P)...but I would plaster myself to the TV for hours and watch it. Even recorded a lot of it (unfortunately, I don't have any of the tapes anymore)....it just facinated me. I've wanted to fly literally since I can remember. I started flying airplanes at 15, started skydiving at 18....and plan on doing both to a ripe old age! :)Blue skies!!!
Marshall :)Life's a bitch- be its pimp....B|

Two friends, Mikie and Alison. Alison wanted to make a skydive for her birthday, so Mikie called up a Drop Zone and they talked him into buying her an AFF Level 1. He gave it to her as a birthday present, and she refused to go unless he went too.
I used to sit for hours and listen to them talk about skydiving, AFF , passing the "Levels" - You know how much to talk about it during AFF, but I listened with sincere curiosity. It really interested me. I made my first jump 6 months later, probably knowing more about what I was getting in to than most AFF Level 1 Students.
Fly Your Slot !

I like to be the center of attention and well who doesn't look at a skydiver when there coming down. that and I always wanted to fly like a bird so I figure skydiving was as close as I could get. I figure I'm going to hell for all the bad things I've done in my life so the plane ride up makes me feel good getting a little closer to heaven.
Have you seen my baseball?:S