billvon

That was close!

An asteroid came within about 1/4 million miles of hitting us on March 8th. Compared to the scale of the solar system that's a very near miss. It wasn't big enough to cause a climate change, but it could easily have taken out a city or two.
And we thought that terrorists with box cutters were our only worry . . .
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/03/19/asteroid.blindside/index.html
-bill von

Can't worry about stuff like that though, since we don't really have any power over things screaming towards the earth with a faster fall rate then me or Viking and the displacement of Ohio...So if it hits, it hits, it'd atleast make things interesting for a while, right? At that point I think that a lot of the "petty" world issues would seem to dissolve, if some people survived, that is.
"I don't want to destroy your sweater, lets be friends and just walk away..."

>Can't worry about stuff like that though, since we don't really have any power over things screaming towards the earth . . .
Well, right now we don't. Give us 20 years and it shouldn't be a big deal to stop it . . . a tiny nudge, done very far away, will turn a collision into a near miss. Since it's happened at least twice before, and one of those wiped out 90% of the live on earth, it might be a good idea to plan for the possibility.
-bill von

a tiny nudge, done very far away, will turn a collision into a near miss.

And we accidentally take out Jupiter...that'd be good, imagine the gravitational disaster there AND all the "little" space rocks that would pop-up after that...Oh, the idea that an astroid took out 90% of life once before is a theory, hasn't been proven. Probably never will, unless time travel happens (although, I do tend to believe that theory, I'm just being a devil's advocate there...)

there maybe a mass of somthing int he center but the emense pressure would crush anything coming in. Man if there was somthing in there that would have to be the strongest substance in the universe!
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver

Either way, it would probably piss of the Jupiterites

Some how they would probably blame America for it and start some sort of anti-American organization plotting to topple our country...;)

>there maybe a mass of somthing int he center but the emense pressure would crush anything coming in.
Naah. Fish live at the bottoms of the seas, and there are even worms (pognophores) that live near sea vents thousands of feet down. They don't care about the pressure because the pressure inside them is the same as outside.
-bill von

granted fish live at the bottom of the ocean but thats nothing compared to the "depth" of jupiter, remember you can fit several earths from the serface to the core of the planet. Thats alot matter crushing what ever is in there. then again i could be talking out of my ass b/c i am bored as hell.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver