Icarus021

Opinion

I jumped one a couple of months ago, seeing how I was jumping a triatholon 160 at the time I had no problem and kinda liked it. I think if you really wanted to get crazy you'd need to load the piss out of it. I ended up buying a small stilletto instead and, other than kinda wacky openings, really like it.
I'd try to sell it to the same sort of person that would buy a saber 2, first canopy lightly loaded or second canopy heavily loaded.
Drewfus McDoofus

I think Safires are a great canopy. I have a169 wing loaded at 1.5 and love it (yes I am a fat ass). Talking to people at my DZ and seeing responses here, the Safire seems to have a little bit of a bad rap. As far as price goes (not knowing how much you want for it) to me anyway saving a couple hundred off of new would not interest me in a used canopy but saving 400 plus would.
Blue Skies
Kirk

I have a larger safire, 219. (6'2" 230lbs) and its a decent canopy. I have never had problems landing this one, has original brake-line configuration, and it's still relatively new (less than 300 jumps). it opens nice, flies well, and if I were going to get a 150 i'd at leat demo one-lol
oh yeah - I would feel comfortable landing this canopy in someone back yard ;)
but then theres the HEATWAVE! -lol
.....there is no spoon
--------------------
Another place to play ;)

If it is $1100 - it is kinda steep - I think I got mine around $1300 new.. and at this numbers it is up for a reline soon, if it is Vectran, so a lineset price at least should be deducted ($200?), plus - 300 jumps is about 20% of the resourse.., that's about $300.. So it is $800 then..
Otherwise Safires are great, no problems with them. Some people have other preferences, some people do not know about them, that's about it.. If you jump it - why are you asking?

Hey I can vouch for this canopy.....I've seen it fly . the guy selling it jumps at my DZ.....Real good guy too (raking some browny points);). I just think its all in the price...with the way competition is out there its all about who's got the best deal and the right price!!! You may have to play around with it aa little till you get some hits but it will go eventually!
Seeya at the DZ
jason

Problem with Safires (and most Icarus canopies) is that they're inconsistent. Some open great, some open hard. Some land really well, some need the mod. Some open on heading consistently, some don't. They are unlike PD canopies, which sometimes had nasty characteristics (the early Sabres opened hard as a rule) but which were very consistent canopy to canopy.
Anyway, as a buyer I'd worry about getting a "bad" one. (Note that I actually jump a Safire 129, so I don't dislike them.)
-bill von

>Problem with Safires (and most Icarus canopies) is that they're inconsistent.
Since the computer program that does the scaling and cutting ought to be the same to millimeter accuracy - is it a problem of PA manufacturing? (They sew mine). What else could it be?
Or are they so sufficiently different in behavior that people evaluating them are utterly confused and cannot verbalize their opinion in a consistent way?

>Since the computer program that does the scaling and cutting ought to be the
> same to millimeter accuracy - is it a problem of PA manufacturing?
As they have been manufactured in three different places, I would bet it's due to inconsistencies in the manufacturing process.
-bill von

>As they have been manufactured in three different places, I would bet it's due to inconsistencies in the manufacturing process.
What would it be? People not sewing along the lines? What is involved in the "process" besides cutting the fabric with a computer controlled hot knife and sewing it along the dotted line that may affect flying characteristics ?..
I have not heard about anybody complaining about Safire openings though.. Flare has a difference in opinions (I like it)

>What would it be? People not sewing along the lines?
There is a _lot_ more to building canopies than "sewing along the lines." This isn't a dress - it's a 3D shape where small details (puckering of fabric in stitching near nose, thread tension, order of assembly) makes a big difference. Take a look at some older canopies (old Ravens come to mind) and compare the quality of stitching to a modern Sabre II.
-bill von

>There is a _lot_ more to building canopies than "sewing
> along the lines." This isn't a dress - it's a 3D shape
> where small details (puckering of fabric in stitching
> near nose, thread tension, order of assembly) makes a
> big difference. Take a look at some older canopies
>(old Ravens come to mind) and compare the quality of > stitching to a modern Sabre II.
That's right - my question was - how is it related to the design, as opposed to the manufacturing. Quality of stitching will not change aerodynamics, presumably, but integrity. For early Dash-M with type III tape has lines falling off is unrelated to whether they will all fly the same.. Is not it?
While having ribs of different size, with the best possible stitching, WILL cause problems - but that hardly will be a design flaw, like choosing weak tape..
So the Q is: Is it design (like weak tape), or manufacturing (like ribs of different size, or wrong lineset attached - which is definitly not what is on design spec..)
As for openings - maybe.. But it is usually rather subjective quality as well..

>Quality of stitching will not change aerodynamics, presumably, but integrity.
Not sure I agree with that. If you can't run a straight stitch, the airfoil will not be consistent. If you don't have good control of thread tension, seams will pucker and affect both aerodynamics and canopy dimensions.
>As for openings - maybe.. But it is usually rather subjective quality as well..
Agreed. But I can compare to other canopies, and it was hard relative to every unmodified Triathalon I've ever jumped (for example.)
-bill von

>If you can't run a straight stitch, the airfoil will not be consistent.
Yeah - but this will have nothing to do with the DESIGN of Safire, would not it? It will affect any other canopy made by a particular factory, so if they where sewing Sabre2 for example, it will suffer from the same problem. Would not it? I am just curious - understanding the issues involved will certainly affect my future purchase decisions..
My Safire opened just beautifully - progressively and smooth. And I am a lousy packer.

Yeah - but this will have nothing to do with the DESIGN of Safire,

I think Bill made it quite clear he was objecting to manufacturing issues, not design issues.
I think he also made it quite clear he like the overall design of the safire.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

anyone ever heard of the safire "buffering" alot in stronger winds? Or breathing alot making it get a little washy? Kinda like you can see the icarus tandems breath and pop?
I heard mention that the crossports are too big, on all icarus canopies, causing behavior like this...
does anyone share this opinion or has anyone heard others who share this opinion?
.....there is no spoon
--------------------
Another place to play ;)