diverdriver

Preliminary Report on Caravan crash

all i have to say is damn!! i have jumped at the dz this pilot flew at, but did not know him...andyman knew him very well..... looks like things were just stacked against him this night....r.i.p.........

"i may not go to heven, i hope you go to hell"-C.C.

Well, you know how they say that an accident is a series of events leading up to it like links in a chain. One.....thinking you can take off with ice still on the aircraft. That right there turns my stomach. There is no such thing as "a little ice". It's a clean wing or it's not.
Two: receiving a report that a previous aircraft had declared an emergency due to ice in the same area tells me ya need to wait it out.
Three: temperature on the ground was 30 F with precipitation which means the precipitation is VERY moist. The colder the air gets the less moisture it can hold. When running around near the freezing mark great care needs to be given for the potential of accumulating lots of ice on the airframe.
Chris Schindler
ATP/CFII

Yes, some are obvious, some are not. Sometimes there can be clues that would lead you to believe that an accident was inevitable and then it's just a string "in the moment".
This is part of why this accident will be listed on my site. No, it didn't happen with jumpers on board. But it was a jump pilot and jump plane part of the time. I think in order to support jump operations or expensive aircraft we will see more operations run cargo. These will be challenges that could be seen by other jump pilots in the future.
It should also serve as a warning to other jump pilots who take jumpers on "road trips" with the aircraft and aren't rated for the conditions they are flying in. Mark was totally rated to be running cargo and on instrument flight. And the conditions still got to him. Let's look at Salt Lake, Utah January 2001. King Air in a snow storm with jumpers returning from a boogie. Aircraft was not rated for instrument flying. The pilot was not current to be flying in instrument conditions. The NTSB report says the pilot had been known to "scud run". Pattern?
Chris Schindler
ATP/CFII
D-19012
www.DiverDriver.com

there seems to be a series of incidences both in aircraft and in skydiving fatalities. Do these tend to occur in such a way, or is this an anomolie?

One of the main thngs they talked about in my training class as a Safety NCO in the AF was that there never is one simple cause for any 'accident'. There is a pattern of cascading events that lead to nasty endings.
I have since observed that in most any type of activity -- even things as simple as a child knocking over a glass of Kool-Aid:
If the parent had placed it properly on the table and/or
If the child had paid closer attention to where his arm was when he turned around and/or
If the glass was had not 'sweated' and become slippery and/or
If there had been less Kool-Aid in the glass, making it lighter
Then the glass would not have gotten spilled.
This is a very long winded way of saying that your observation is spot on.

bbarnhouse,
Not quite sure what you are driving at, but my interpretation is that the same accidents keep getting repeated. The only thing that changes is the date and the location.
For about 20 years, I read accident reports in Parachutist magazine religiously. Reading those accident reports cured me of several bad habits.
Recently I quit reading accident reports because they all started to blur together. It got to the point where I could be reading an accident report from 1982 or 1992 or 2002 and it all seemed the same.

RB~
I should have clarified. I am aware that the "same" kind of accidents in skydiving have led to fatalities; it just appeared to be quite a few in such a short period of time rather like the rule of threes. I am also aware of the fact that there are series of events that lead up to each occurance. I was just wondering about the time frame and should have stated so.
Thanks!
It only takes a little pixie dust......

it just appeared to be quite a few in such a short period of time rather like the rule of threes.

A bit of statistics. If you've got events that could happen at any time (i.e. randomly), it's very very unlikely that they'll be spaced out evenly. We see clumps all the time, but aren't picky about what exactly makes a clump. (If things all happen at the end of the year, it's a clump. If they happen at the beginning of the year, or the middle, or in late March then again in mid April, etc. etc. it's a clump.) But we have a very specific idea about even spacing, so the number of spacings we see and think "even" is waaaaaay smaller than the number of spacings we see and think "clump."
PTiger
I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating in a most peculiar way

Thanks Chris.
My heart sank when I read about him taking off with ice. I wonder if that small amount might've given him the margin to make the airport
It was truely bizarre reading his last words.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

AOPA-Pilot has a "Never again" section about pilot mistakes and the results. One especially chilling one was a Skymaster pilot who found himself in severe icing conditions. He had to shut down the forward engine because it was shaking so much. (The Skymaster has a forward and rear engine, and the rear engine is sort of automatically deiced by the engine's exhaust.) Ice built up until he could no longer maintain altitude, and he began a slow descent towards one of the Great Lakes, which was partially frozen. He got ready to ditch, knowing he probably woudn't survive long after hitting the ice and punching through.
He got to about 5 feet above the ice, entered ground effect, and stayed there. The ground effect gave him just enough extra L/D to keep flying. He wasn't sure what to do - try to find an airport on the water that had no obstacles around it? Ditch it near a beach? Suddenly some ice fell off, and he realized that the air over the open patches of water was a little warmer than freezing. He kept aiming for them (hard to do, because he couldn't see out the windshield) and gradually enough ice fell away that he could begin to climb again. He landed safely at an airport near the lake.
-bill von

I wonder if that small amount might've given him the margin to make the airport.

Ummm, there is no such thing as "a little ice". And after reading what the ramp personnel described as still being on the aircraft it sounds like a lot. I don't know what the weight of a square foot of 1/2 inch ice would be but over the whole aircraft it can be a huge amount. You just don't take off unless the whole aircraft is clean. Period.
Chris

Chris....I understand that you meant well, but I don't really think this is appropriate.. He was not involved in skydiving operations, and Mark never exhibited poor judgement that I saw in all the time that I jumped at Aerohio.....Mark was a friend of mine...please leave it alone..
Mike

And after reading what the ramp personnel described

Oh....and one more comment....when was the last time you believed a ramp rat when it came to something relating to flying the aircraft? Most of those guys never even graduated high school, much less have any flying experience..
Mike