Polorutz

All around suit?

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie when it comes to skydiving so I was wondering if one of you skygods can enlighten me.

I know RW suits have booties and grippers which are not the best thing in the world to freefly in.

Budget is a bit tight atm and I was wondering if there was some sort of intermediate kind of suit, that would allow me to learn to freefly and also do some beginner's RW, so some sort of low profile grippers or something like that.

Can anyone recommend such a thing?

You don't need booties on an rw suit and it won't really hurt you having grippers on a ff suit(but you may look ridiculous). The main things on a ff suit are the cuffs around your ankles and wrists are strong enough to stay in place. So you can find a decent fitting rw suit without booties much like a student suit and modify the ankles and wrists if you need to and BAM! You have your all around suit. I'm not gonna get started about you ff at your jump numbers though as Im sure you've talked to some freeflyers at your dz on what you need to do to start ;) good luck!

Thanks for your answer!! I might just do that!

I forgot to say, I have about 3 tunnel hours and I can already backfly, I'm currently working on Backfly to sit transitions after having spent the last 40 minutes or so doing back-belly transitions.

My plan is to keep going in the tunnel till April when I go to Z-Hills for 2 weeks, then I'll be doing some solo sitfly (perpendicular to jumprun and with audibles). I'm planning on having a breakoff alt at about 5500 feet to allow me to slow down before pulling.

Once I get good enough I'll start jumping with other people.

Sounds like a Plan.

Whare I am most people love TONFLY suits. They are amazing, but they are a little pricey. I ordered one now that I know FF is my favorite discipline. I would suggest taking a look at the skylark suits. They are made in Ukrania. They are very reasonably priced (100-200 for a custom made suit) and they have some FF suits with low profile grips. I had one ( still do) and are very wel build and offer great bang for your buck :)
"I don´t stop when I am tired. I stop when I am done"

I would recommend taking a look at www.freefallsuits.com , they are a new company providing premium quality jumpsuits at non premium prices. They are very well constructed and almost indestructible. I have ordered a FF suit with mini grippers, so I can use it for both FF and RW.

Hey, depending on your weight i can highly recommend a tonfly 620 or 619 (620 slower, 619 little faster). They are great suits, I own a 619 and I'm really happy with it. I'm also pretty sure you could get them with grippers, I think there is that option to choose. Otherwise take a look at the sonic aerial, a friend of mine got it, looks like a pretty good mix between a freefly and an RW suit, more for freeflying though.

Absolut, I'm short (1.68m or 5'7'') and relatively heavy at 75kg (165lbs).

I reckon I'd want a slower suit cause I fall like a rock.

I took a look at a 620 but couldn't find a gripper option at least on their website. Might have to contact them directly.

weaverd

I would recommend taking a look at www.freefallsuits.com , they are a new company providing premium quality jumpsuits at non premium prices. They are very well constructed and almost indestructible. I have ordered a FF suit with mini grippers, so I can use it for both FF and RW.

You think $395 plus options is a non premium price?
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

My personal opinion is that you need the right tool for the right job.

People can do FF in an RW suit, but it'll be much harder and probably not as good. Vice versa is also true. You can do RW in a FF suit, but it'll be much harder and probably not as good.

An all round suit, will be not great for FF or RW, but just ok.

So if you are happy with that, try getting one, but if you want to be good at either, get the right tool for the job.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Degeneration, I know, I wish I had money for 2 suits.

I want to learn to freefly but it will take a lot of time to get good enough to be able to do FF jumps with other people.

Ever since I got licensed, there has always been someone to jump with for basic RW stuff and that is also very fun and rewarding.

I want a freefly suit that will allow me to still have fun with other people too. Hence the low profile grippers.

I think I've found what I want in the Sonic Aerial. I'm calling them soon and asking them a few things and then probably placing an order with them.

An all around suit does everything all around mediocre.

You will be much better suited buying a jump suit for free flying, and another for RW.

You will spend less money in the long run too.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Of course not labrys, that's why I can't afford the gear. :P

:D

Yeah.... that's the thing about finding the money you want to buy the things that you *want*

My personal opinion is the same as Doug's. Find the money to buy the right tools for the job instead of trying to force something to work 'okay'
Owned by Remi #?

What you are looking for is a "Hybrid" suit. A freefly suit with flat grippers.

http://www.michigansuits.com/order/suit/freefly

http://www.tonysuits.com/products/freefly_suit.php

Its about a $40 options from most the people that offer it. I ordered a Michigan suit without it and it came with it. Didn't really need it but a free option is a free option. It's not like its a 50/50 FF and RW suit its more like it 95% a freefly suit but you can do some light RW in them.

Also I would recommend staying away from freefallsuits.com. Unless that is you want to be lied to, ignored, wait longer then promised, have the suit not fit (AT ALL), and have none of the options you paid for come on it. Sorry for that mini rant, more then a little pissed off at them right now.

ChuckMartin

Also I would recommend staying away from freefallsuits.com. Unless that is you want to be lied to, ignored, wait longer then promised, have the suit not fit (AT ALL), and have none of the options you paid for come on it. Sorry for that mini rant, more then a little pissed off at them right now.

Or pay for it and not have it come at all.

No need to apologize, IMO.

You aren't the only one in that situation. I'm not myself, but 2 friends are.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

It might come at some point. I was told Mid Nov, then late Nov-early Dec, then mid Dec, then I was told is was done and sent out Dec 22nd, really it was sent out Jan 13th. At first I was told 7 weeks, came 15 weeks later. I am working on a review on the company and the suit but will wait until after everything is said and done to post it. I want to see if the company will try and make things right.

Well, one friend ordered a complete suit, plus tandem pants and a jacket. Paid in full, back in August at SDC Summerfest.

Has received nothing. I'm not sure what has been communicated, I just know that he's not happy.

Another friend is still waiting on a jumpsuit, and received a wingsuit. The fit on the wingsuit is pretty bad, and the construction is rather questionable. The seams aren't symmetrical, and the whole thing looks "off."

I saw one person who had received his suit last fall at Skydive Midwest. It actually fit pretty good, and the construction seemed ok. However, I also saw a pair of freefly pants that didn't fit at all (I think it was the same guy, but it was a few months ago).

Everything I am hearing sounds like he took too many orders, got in over his head and is now having trouble filling them.
I would not suggest anyone order from him until this stuff gets sorted out.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

He talks a good game and the suits he brings around with him look awesome and are made really well but in the end he can't deliver. If he is this busy and over his head it's about time to hire some more staff. His suits use 42 measurements and still can't get things right, I don't see how this is even possible. They are more then happy to take your money and in fact that is the only time I ever got quick responses to my emails. As soon as my order was in and they had my money I got treated like I didn't matter.