gale

Worse than I thought

OK, I'm sorry for posting about this again but I'm all down about it and I'm hoping for some words of encouragement.
I found out today that I've torn 50% of the ligaments in my left ankle and that I won't be able to jump for probably at least another two weeks (making at least four all together, probably more) Earlier they had told me less but they swelling had to go down before they could do a realy stress test and see what was going on. And I have to jump with a brace for 6 months to a year.
I'm just really upset about it because I just started and I'm trying to learn. I feel like the worst student in the world for being dumb enough to crash a docile student rig and then not remembering to PLF!!!
[gale smacks herself repeatedly]
I know people have been way more injured than this and I'm just whining but I guess what gets me is the stupidity of the injury. ARG!
Gale
Life's not worth living if you can't feel alive

It could be a hell of a lot worse. 4 weeks on the ground is nothing, you'll be back in the air before you know it. Just remember, it's worth staying on the ground as long as it takes to make it safe for you to jump again. Don't rush yourself back, or you'll just make it worse.
As for piling in on a student rig, at least it's one mistake you'll never make again:)-That's one case of beer I'm all too glad to buy
Roger

Hey gale. Two weeks is nothing! It will pass so much quicker than you think. Heck - we were grounded that long after Sept. 11! Seriously, get some vids to watch. Fun ones... but maybe also Fly Like A Pro - you'll be a better student when you get back! There are also always back issues of Parachutist and Skydiving at most dz's. Borrow some! Lots of good stuff in there... maybe you'll even get your hands on some of the "Jumping The Ram Air" series. You can also always still go out to the dz and watch and listen to pick up lots of information. Good luck to you! I hope you heal quickly and completely. And like I said before, at least you'll never make that mistake again. 2 more weeks.... and you'll still be back in the air before me and I was broken on January 28!
love,
dove

Don't feel so bad about it, at least you will get better and can jump again! If it happened to me I would be hitting myself too! The thing is, we learn from our mistakes, doesn't make you feel any better though.:)J
"Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open".

If its just 4... count your self luck... I was out 6 with not near as serious of an injury. The video of my crash is on www.skydivingmovies.com under landings called crash.... enjoy....
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

Gale,
This isn't bad luck. You've already got a good skydiving injury story! All of the oldtimers have them. Now you can hang during story time after the jumps! :D j/k You'll be back up in no time. Hang in there.
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.

gale,
I'm not trying to make your injury sound small.... but it is. Comming from someone who spent nine monthes in very painfull physio, you should be thankfull your injury is relatively minor.
You hurt yourself. You're lucky you got off easy! Take your time, get healed, then go play.
_Am (for the record, mine was skiing, not skydiving)
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

Thanks. I'll look it up. My "friends" were hoping mine was on video too, but luckily for me it's not.
And yes, I'm going to try really hard not to go back before "they" let me.
I just hope everyone at the dz thinks it's OK that I'm just a "hanger-on" for a while. (I don't know if there's many other sports that when you're not playing them you're hanging out on the field!)
Gale
Life's not worth living if you can't feel alive

Hey-
What doesn't kill us makes us tougher- (that applies to all aspects of life, too-) We have a couple folks at our DZ who are laid up too- And we call them and tell them to come hang out even if they can't jump! You're still one of us!

Hi, Gale
Stop hitting yourself (verbally too!).
You made a mistake; o.k., so you made a mistake (and you walked away). You have to stay on the ground for a while. Ok, stay on the ground for a while. OK, so you may have to repeat some of what you've learned. O.K., so repeat it. It's not permanent, and you can dream of coming home to the sky. So, dream!
Like Clay said, 50% of your ligaments are fine. You've got good doctors, and you are healing.
All good to me! And yes, I understand how it feels. The longing, the yearning, the learning curve abruptly chopped off. No biggie. You'll be back in the sky, playing with clouds, soaring through the sun in no time. Hang tight, we're with you!
Ciels and Pinks-
Michele
If you really want to, you can seize the day; if you really want to, you can fly away...
~enya~

I sprained my right ankle real good this weekend. At first I thought that I was going to be the 2nd broken bone case for the day. The first one happened about 30 mins before. So I learned to be more aware of my surroundings, and to stay relaxed no matter what. I guess I also owe a case of beer since it's my first skydive related injury.
But I had fun on that last jump, I was in great company, and I'll come back stronger.