mccordia

Bungyjumping more dangerous then skydiving...

people often complain about skydiving being dangerous, but somehow (at least as it looks to me) a lot more people try bungyjumping without hasitation. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that you can try it in a 'spur of the moment' kinda fashion if you see it somewhere (and the fact that most of the time people looking at it kinda ''dare' each other to try it...don't know.
I was just surfing for fun (work?) and found a site simulair to the skydiving fatalties....and OMG!!
Don't know if there are any stats, but this sure looks a lot more dangerous then skydiving.
I gues it also has to do with the fact that it's not as regulared in terms of safety(?) but there are also a lot people who end up with temporairy blindness and such from a 'normal' bungy-jump.......never thought it was that dangerous..(and now that I know...somehow I still want to try it one day, it sure looks like fun..:)
info found on > http://www.bungeezone.com/disasters/club.shtml
Cya,
JC
"We put the FUN in dysFUNctional"
http://www.3dluvr.com/mccordia/

Nothing against young, paid-by-the-hour, recreational drug users, but I think those people are much more commonly responsible for equipment maintenance and your personal safety in bungee jumping than in skydiving. I don't know any "professional bungee jumpers."
Joe

I've done a few, even an 'illegal' one from a well viaduct in Scotland. It is a buzz, its not about learning, its about that old endorphine thing, but there is no progression.
I haven't done any since I started skydiving, which as we all know is the only way true to get that endorphine hit.
Cya
D

It is a buzz, its not about learning, its about that old endorphine thing, but there is no progression.

Progression, learning, call it what you will.
It seems to me that it's a fairly limited experience for 99.9% of the people that do it.
It's possible that could be true of skydiving as well and I just don't have the correct perspective on it, but I think that even a once-in-a-lifetime tandem jumper has a lot more opportunity to learn something other than just how much of an adrenalin rush it is.
quade
http://futurecam.com

People ask me if I've ever/ if I wat to bungy jump- And I tell not only no but hell no- Besides - Like was said earlier - Skydiving is sssssoooooooooooooo much better - Better rush, cooler people, and it's such a wonderful lifestyle!!!
We're all cool - we're skydivers!

Oh, I agree with you Paul, bungee jumping is even more like a fairground ride than the ubiquitous one-time-tandem experience.
But people still enjoy those roller coaster rides without actually learning anything at all about the mechanics and processes involved. They are simply passengers, being spoon fed adrenalin. Hell, I quite enjoy roller coasters, but don't really want to learn how to build or operate them.
Whereas, skydiving on the other hand, continually requires new skills to be mastered. new challenges to be met, and new beers to be opened.....So you can't really compare the two types of experience.
I'm sure you see what I mean.....
Cya
D

why do you have to learn something for an experience to be meaningful? once when i was in vegas i did 13 bungee jumps over one day and had a freaking blast. of course, if i had my rig i'd have probably been skydiving instead. but i'm here to tell you, stepping up to the edge of a 6 story platform, looking at the vegas skyline, seeing the ground o - so - near is a freaking rush - much scarier than skydiving, at least at the launch. true, the people in charge seem like burn outs, but i've seen some fairly scary looking riggers, too.

I wanna try it once. Only cuz jumping from that low seems absolutely INSANE!!! I get nervous doing hop n pops anywhere under 3, and the one time i ended up under canopy at 1200 ft scared the bejeezus out of me....
but eventually i do wanna learn to BASE!
blue skies
Tomas
"Marge, it takes 2 people to lie. One to lie and one to listen."
-Homer