skydiverek

New multimode Cypres!

Unfortunately there is nothing yet shown on the North American dealers' site, SSK. Wonder who is left to take care of things there.

Can't find anything on the Airtec site either.

Maybe they didn't all have a co-ordinated rollout of the new feature, and Basik just have the fastest responding webmaster. I'm sure we'll hear more later.

The LCD indication for the mode is pretty small, one little bar of a digit, but Airtec are limited in not having a dot matrix display.

And only 150 eur extra for this minor change to the software! At that price I think Airtec will not be taking much market share away from AAD who's Vigil has long included the same feature.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Can't really see this as a game changer.

I see it more as a liability that a feature for most people. I have had an AAD for 16 years now and not once have I wished I could set it for anything other that expert/pro (whatever).

I do however know people that have had a multi mode AAD set on Tandem and get a fire when they deployed on a regular jump. The best guess is that someone showed the 'feature' to someone else using his rig and forgot to turn it back to Pro/expert (whatever).
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

the ability to switch to speed mode will be nice for some folk however the price point is getting silly - the cost of a Cypres plus the service fees plus the 150 euro extra makes it nearly twice that of other aads on the market over the life of the unit (and that isn't factoring different service lives and the amount of down time you will experience during the 4 year services)...

Ron

Can't really see this as a game changer.

I see it more as a liability that a feature for most people. I have had an AAD for 16 years now and not once have I wished I could set it for anything other that expert/pro (whatever).

I do however know people that have had a multi mode AAD set on Tandem and get a fire when they deployed on a regular jump. The best guess is that someone showed the 'feature' to someone else using his rig and forgot to turn it back to Pro/expert (whatever).

Frankly on a Vigil there is no excuse to ever get on the aircraft with it in the wrong mode. It is written in bold letters across the display. Either people aren't checking their AAD is on or they are retarded.

For all that 'multi mode' seems like an inventory management feature that is more geared towards manufacturing and the sales channel than end user.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Frankly on a Vigil there is no excuse to ever get on the aircraft with it in the wrong mode. It is written in bold letters across the display. Either people aren't checking their AAD is on or they are retarded.

Until the recent CYPRES issues, I never checked my AAD was on after I started the day. So if a guy set his AAD in the AM and a guy changed it without him knowing..... And he was like me and "Sets it and forgets it". Then he would not catch it.

For all that 'multi mode' seems like an inventory management feature

And it *should* reduce the cost if they only have to make one model, not cost more.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ron

Until the recent CYPRES issues, I never checked my AAD was on after I started the day. So if a guy set his AAD in the AM and a guy changed it without him knowing..... And he was like me and "Sets it and forgets it". Then he would not catch it.

***For all that 'multi mode' seems like an inventory management feature

And it *should* reduce the cost if they only have to make one model, not cost more.

I know where you are coming from on the 'set and forget', but the exact same argument could be used for someone else putting in an offset (any modern AAD) or turning it off.

I completely agree on the cost issue.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

nigel99

***For all that 'multi mode' seems like an inventory management feature

I know where you are coming from on the 'set and forget', but the exact same argument could be used for someone else putting in an offset (any modern AAD) or turning it off.

I completely agree on the cost issue.

The offset is a good point.

skydiverek

Does anyone knows anything about possible longer lifetime and/or less frequent maintenance, with 2014 Cypres?

I doubt that will happen and I frankly do not want it to happen. If it is my last resort then I want it checked on a cycle that makes sense. Airtec's checks make sense for what is involved in the CYPRES. I do not trust the others nor do I think their service protocols make sense but that is just my opinion. Everyone gets to jump what they want.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

skydiverek

Does anyone knows anything about possible longer lifetime and/or less frequent maintenance, with 2014 Cypres?

I think Airtec makes too much money off of that system for them to give it up. They don't seem to care that they're losing customers to Vigils specifically because some of us don't want to deal with that crap.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and figure they've done the math to figure out that they make more money off of those services than they would off of selling units to the people who jump ship just to avoid them.
cavete terrae.

grue

***Does anyone knows anything about possible longer lifetime and/or less frequent maintenance, with 2014 Cypres?

I think Airtec makes too much money off of that system for them to give it up. They don't seem to care that they're losing customers to Vigils specifically because some of us don't want to deal with that crap.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and figure they've done the math to figure out that they make more money off of those services than they would off of selling units to the people who jump ship just to avoid them.

Do you have any idea how much money Air Tec makes off their maintenance requirements or how many customers they are losing because of it? I doubt it. Name one electrical/digital device you have owned that lasted 20 years.:S

Have you ever given any thought to the fact that Vigil states the life expectancy of their unit is 20 years but they only offer a 2 year warranty?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

mjosparky

******Does anyone knows anything about possible longer lifetime and/or less frequent maintenance, with 2014 Cypres?

Do you have any idea how much money Air Tec makes off their maintenance requirements or how many customers they are losing because of it? I doubt it. Name one electrical/digital device you have owned that lasted 20 years.:S

Have you ever given any thought to the fact that Vigil states the life expectancy of their unit is 20 years but they only offer a 2 year warranty?

Sparky

You're asking the wrong guy :) I administer some electronics in our factory that are well over 20 years old. Oldest computer in active daily use is from '89, and that's in a dusty factory that ranges between 5°C and 50°C.

In any case, I don't use an AAD by choice, I do it because it's required by almost every DZ in Australia. Because there's no service centre in Australia, we lose our AADs for over a month if we send them out for service, and the costs associated with all of the bullshit make it untenable for someone like me knowing full well there's a competing product that doesn't have the same shortcomings.

I don't know the profit margins on the service, and I don't know if there are many people who refuse to buy a Cypres because of it. I do know, however, there are at least 4 of us within my circle of friends.

As for life expectancy vs warranty, that's fine. If it died, I'm guessing fixing it would cost less than the two Airtec services and shipping, and I bet a local rigger can do the module replacement.

The Cypres is a good product, but it's an exceptionally inconvenient one to own if you don't live in the US or Europe.
cavete terrae.

mjosparky

******Does anyone knows anything about possible longer lifetime and/or less frequent maintenance, with 2014 Cypres?

Sparky

Actually most electronics designed for high reliability use lasts 20 years - medical, military and industrial stuff. Just Joe average thinks of electronics as their Wal-Mart $30 DVD player and judges by that standard. On top of that while it is 20 years, the average jumper only jumps weekends, so a heavy user is looking at 4 years of 'on time', and the bulk of that is on the packing mat in standby mode.

That's what I don't get about the Airtek 4 year sales pitch, imagine having to send your iPod in for a service every 300 songs!

Name one electrical/digital device you have owned that lasted 20 years.Crazy

Right off the top of my head (actually in my pocket right now) I have a beat up old Texas Instruments calculater that I use nearly every day. About 25 years old, works great. I've seen many 30 year old cars with original radios that work fine. All this is meaningless, as is your particular arguement.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Right off the top of my head (actually in my pocket right now) I have a beat up old Texas Instruments calculater that I use nearly every day. About 25 years old, works great. I've seen many 30 year old cars with original radios that work fine. All this is meaningless, as is your particular arguement.

Not to mention your calculator and car radio didn't cost 1300 frickin' bucks.
cavete terrae.

grue

Then don't jump a fuckin Cypres- I wouldn't jump a Vigil if it were free. To each their own. What exactly is your point? :S

EatSleepFly

Then don't jump a fuckin Cypres- I wouldn't jump a Vigil if it were free. To each their own. What exactly is your point? :S

Someone else brought up the maint and frustrating lifespan, I took the ball and ran with it. It's a legitimate complaint that plenty of people have.
cavete terrae.

grue

Someone else brought up the maint and frustrating lifespan, I took the ball and ran with it. It's a legitimate complaint that plenty of people have.

You are aware that the sensitivity and tolerances of an AAD are just a little bit different than a calculator or car radio, right?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

You are aware that the sensitivity and tolerances of an AAD are just a little bit different than a calculator or car radio, right?

That's a red herring, somebody implied electronics does not last 20 year's, and a few examples got thrown out.

Vigil plays games claiming 20 years, knowing that very few people will use it for that length of time. Airtek plays games by building the fear that TIME and not USE is a major factor in AAD reliability. Both are feeding the masses marketing bullshit.