flyhi

Guttsiest Move I Ever Saw, Icarus

For those unaware, there is a relatively interesting thread developing in the Swooping and Canopy Control forum discussing the merits and weaknesses of the Crossfire canopy.
One question I have to ask is, "Why would Icarus engineer a new canopy and name it Crossfire2?" Most people know of the problems which the original Crossfire experienced and some point to it as a cause of at least one fatality. I can understand modding those Crossfires already out there, but why develop a new canopy and keep the name associated with a controversial one? Ford didn't name the Mustang, the Edsel2. The Army didn't name the Apache, the Cheyenne2.
Why keep the Crossfire name? Is Icarus that sure that brand loyalty is that strong? Why not call it something different (Wildfire? Firestorm? Bonfire? You pick it.) and market it as a new HP canopy. They would still keep those loyal to Icarus products, and would proabably get more interest from those not committed.
And again, I've never jumped a Crossfire, nor do I mean to intimate that the Crossfire2 is not a good canopy. But in marketing, all too often, perception is reality. And it's going to take a lot of people putting a lot of jumps on anything with a Crossfire name, before some will test that wate
Then again, it's Saturday afternoon, I'm not jumping, and I could be wrong.
flyhiB|

**Why would Icarus engineer a new canopy and name it Crossfire2**
the engineers are always on a "trail and error" basis. the moniker "2" just means attempt number 2. i'm wondering what happens when (if?) number "2" doesn't work out? just like sabre, when they came out with the sabre "2" i thought to myself "what, does this mean it's not gonna "whack" me on the next opening? just one man's opinions. i do not condemn, or endorse any canopy manufacturer, although i'll say that i have a new cobalt being constructed for me right now.

Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

I think that some people's perception of the crossfire's reputation are a little skewed by some of the remarks made here on Dropzone.com.
The Crossfire is Icarus' #1 selling canopy. It is wildly popular. Why wouldn't you want to create a Crossfire2.

Not really. We have about 20 crossfires at my DZ with no problems and I have ran across other DZs that have the same situation. I think if they did not continue the name they would lose a good following that they have built. People that have determined they don't want to jump them will not no matter what you named them.
William

Why would PD engineer a new canopy and name it Sabre2?

When released, the Sabre was state-of-the-art. And a lot of people had to have it. It built up a large following. There are whole DZ's out there where you jump a PD until you graduated to a Sabre and then on to a Stilleto. And PD produced a lot of Sabre's.
A quick check of the Classified Ads here showed there are 77 with Sabres for sale. 36 Spectres, 24 Triathlons, 7 Cobalts, 5 Diablos and 5 Stilletos. Again, there are a large number of Sabres out there because a large number of people bought them. The Sabre is a nice canopy to transition through or to. Many people complained of hard openings, but people still bought them and people are still buying them. I think PD was smart. They saw the Sabre as a successful canopy and lept on the name. They counted on people associating the Sabre2 with the success of the Sabre. Five years down the road, I think we will see this as a very smart strategy.
flyhiB|

I'll go one further. Why would anyone name a parachute company after anything that has to do with flying to high and melting your wings, then plummeting to your death while you father watched?

I've always thought that was possibly one of the worst names you could come up with for a parachute company. Might as well call yourselves Burn-It-In Canopies (tm). :P
I mean, if you're going to name yourself after amythological character, how 'bout Phoenix Canopies (rising from the ashes & flying) or Pegasus Canopies?
Oh well. <>
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

well his wings did work fine, right up until he tried something stuipid. (that he had been warned about)
sounds like a great name for a high performance company
i guess ideally you would name it after his father
but who ever remembers his name?
2 pts to the first correct answer.
(honor system guys doesnt count if you look it up)

but why develop a new canopy and keep the name associated with a controversial one? Ford didn't name the Mustang, the Edsel2

Off Topic, but Ford DID make a Mustang II which was basically a Pinto body.....
One shot... HEY!!! Mas Tequila!!!! Two Shots HEY HEY!!!! Three Shots.......

Off Topic, but Ford DID make a Mustang II which was basically a Pinto body.....

Exactly. Ford named it after a car which performed for them with customers and had a relatively good rep, rather than naming it after a car which could have been marketed as a four person portable stove.
flyhiB|

'bout Phoenix Canopies (rising from the ashes & flying) or Pegasus Canopies?

acually i jumped my phoenix this weekend..well it was with me i guess..didn't actualy have to jump it... it's my 5 cell 195sq.ft. reserve from pioneer..and yup it's only 1 year younger than me.. next year i guess i'll buy it a beer for its birthday......lol

it only took a little pixie dust to change this mispelling

>I mean, if you're going to name yourself after amythological character, how
>'bout Phoenix Canopies (rising from the ashes & flying) or Pegasus Canopies?
Both have been used. In fact, the Pegasus was one of the first squares, and was the forerunner of the Cruislite.
-bill von

Guys and Gals....and clay. your all putting to much effort in trying to figure out why they just added a 2. How hard is it to come up with a name that is fun and exciting out of the blue isnt it much easier insted of racking your brain trying to figure out a name to just add a 2. Everyone is familiar with the crossfire name and knows what to expect from the canopy if they liked it hey they might want to try the sequel. Just my thoughts on the matter =)
dan-