quade

Knowledge of AADs before first jump

I knew that it existed and what the purpose of an AAD was for my first jump. Mine was an FXC attched to my main.
These days I explain the existence and purpose of the AAD to my students in the FJC but not in huge detail.
So yes...........

Before the jump or FJC

In that case ~ No I did not know about them..............
Sebazz........

The Cypres didn't exist when I made my first jump. I did know about AAD's (FXC 12000's and Sentinels) prior to my first jump though, because I'd read Poynter's book (2 revisions ago...) a couple times before I ever went to the DZ.
pull & flare,
lisa
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda sez

Before my first jump I really had no idea why anyone would want to jump out of a perfe.... you get the idea.
I paid my money and took my chances, and I was really just another tandem who thought of it as an amusement park ride.
BMcD...

>Had the Wright Brothers invented planes when you and Quade made your first jumps, Bytch?
Quade's a puppy, he's only been jumping a few years.
Me, on the other hand, why I have fond memories of Orv and Wil. They were going to name the Flyer after me, y'know, but the "Wright Bytch" just didn't have the "sound" that their marketing people wanted. ;)
pull & flare,
lisa
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda sez

*I* didn't know they existed before my tandem jump. I did before I started AFF because I'd read Poytner's book, but I was only dimly aware of them. They were barely mentioned in my FJC.
However. My parents are somewhat horrified by my skydiving, and are comforted solely by my telling them about my Cypres. What they don't know is I haven't had it in my rig for my last 50 jumps. I believe if they were aware of that, my father would sneak into my apartment in the dead of night and steal my rig and put it in the dumpster. Then break my legs.

never heard of them before i showed up at my first jump course. i knew you had a reserve chute, but never considered what would happen if you forgot to/couldn't pull your ripcord. yes, i thought they all had ripcords. was sort of disappointed when i found out we had boc's. thought the cypres was a cool idea though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bunky
get crazy, before it gets you.

>Me, on the other hand, why I have fond memories of Orv and Wil.
Ah, them was the days. Didn't have no fancy parachutes like you youngsters do nowadays. Sailcloth's all we had, and we were happy to have it! We'd have to sneak under that flyin machine, there, and sit with a big bunch o' sailcloth, waiting for him to make another flight. We'd have to wait all night, but you wouldn't find us complaining about a long wait for a load, no sir!
Then Wilbur'd come along, and fire up his machine, and we'd take off. On a good day we'd get to 500 feet before Wil would notice. He'd start swingin that big stick o' his, sayin "get off my airplane, ya skydivin scum!" Then we'd jump, and hold that big batch of cloth over our head, and try ta make it slow us down. Then we'd land out on the beach somewhere. Break every bone in our bodies, we would, but you wouldn't hear _us_ complainin about it, whinin for a life flight or something. No sir. We'd just hobble back to the airfield and do it again.
Youngsters these days, I tell ya - spoiled's what they are.
-bill von

I was a little disappointed in the lack of a ripcord, myself. I had heard that they only cost a little bit of money, and that you could keep it as a souvenir if you paid for it. Instead, I paid $75 for a video of me (in chronological order) confident, nervous, scared shitless, ecstatic, then saying moronic stuff into the camera on the ground. It would probably make me look cooler to have a ripcord to show people, as the scared shitless part of the video is pretty clear.

I think the first time I heard about AADs was on Road Rules (or was it Real World?) on MTV when they went skydiving as one of their "challenges." One of the tandems supposedly had a double total malfunction and was saved solely by the AAD. I doubt thats how it really happened, but thats what they claimed.
Dave
http://www.skydivingmovies.com

I asked when I called the school to make the reservation...my question of what happens if I can't pull "the thing" was answered with a description of the function of an ADD (but didn't know it was called the ADD or Cypres...) I had already decided I was going to jump; this just added a measure of "safety" for me and my family.
After my cutaway, I clearly recall Vinnie asking me why didn't I wait for my Cypres to fire so I won't have had to "pull the silver thing"...and I answered "it never crossed my mind to wait". Of course, the students used the RSL, but I was so out of it that it didn't occur to me that Vinnie was teasing me until, say, weeks, after the cutaway, when I had calmed down enough to think about the whole situation clearly...but I also didn't wait for the RSL, either.
Ciels and Pinks-
Michele
Life is what you make it; always was, always will be.
~Grandma Moses~

Never knew about an AAD, I think it was right before my first jump or in my second jump that I knew what was that thing hanging from the left riser of my friend's rig (FX I think), and that other funny lucking thing that has a red light when you press the button on my rig (Cypress).
"Life is full of danger, so why be afraid?"
drenaline

i remember reading about a skydive in Antarctica that where the aad saved one jumpers life .
no it didnt affect my decision to learn to skydive.
as they said at least 10 times during AFF1-3
"whos responsible for your survival?"
"I am."
"exactly."