AggieDave

Too much "as the prop turns"

You mean he travled to the boogie just to hook up with her? No way....

And what do you mean shes now pregnant? Oh man is he going to be pissed... but you have to wonder if its his or the other 2 or 3's...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The Twins? I heard he tried to nail both at the same time but had to wait untill he got them both drunk on different nights. When he took the taller one for a "Walk down the runway" I knew something had to be up....

But what really makes me wonder is he was talking the other day and he had slept with every girl on the Otter with him last load at one point or another... that was 12 girls... and you know about a few of them... I saw a few of the girls doing a "Chest strap check" even when you could clearly tell that it was fastened the right way so I'm wondering if they swing both ways....
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I can't say that I haven't been a part of a clique, because anyone who jumps mostly with certain people will be labled as such. Still, groups of jumpers are not where I see the most trouble. Generally, it's the DZ school that creates the most "as the prop turns" action. Lots of schools have a bad habit of taking advantage of female students. Others have a bad problem of only hiring their buddies, and not the other more-qualified Instructors who are milling around the DZ on any given day. Other places have terrible problems when the DZO grants an individual or group of individuals sole rights over certain types of training, then harrassing those who would give it freely. All very unfortunate circumstances, but I have seen every example at one dropzone or another in my travels. As with any "family", those who are around the most are going to be given the most attention and have the most friends to jump with without really searching. While paid and voluntary load organizers do a great job of making visitors more comfortable, in reality most dropzones don't use them or can't afford them. Most places will try and hook you up with others, but they might not be on your level.

The answer to that, in my opinion, is to just barge in and start talking to people. The sooner they know who you are and what you want to get into, the better your chances of getting on a load, plus the sooner you will have folks to drink with at the end of the day.

Chuck

(Funny thing is, you meet some of those rec.dot people and confront them, they run and hide.)

----------------------------
Funny you should mention that. I had a situation a few years ago where a guy seriously flamed me in a thread about blind skydivers. To make a long story short he ended up calling my mother all kinds of nasty names. I never forgot the guys name and 2 summers ago I had the opportunity to meet him face to face when I was doing registration for an event at Perris. I recognized the name and his home DZ right away and told him I remembered very vividly his words. Apparently he remembered as well. He was doing all kinds of back flips because at that moment I had all the power to decide whether he got to participate in the event or not. In the end, I of course allowed him to register but not before watching him sweat for a while. That was fun!!!

Rhonda

I tend to carry a blissfully ignorant attitude at whatever DZ I am at. If a particular bit of drama is circulating the DZ that does not involve me I do not become part of it. All to often people make something their business that is not there business. Thus blowing up said incident or drama into something bigger than it should be.

I travel to at least three or four different DZ's on a regular basis and have not had problems meeting new people and jumping with new people. If some one does not want me on their load it really is no biggie and I will jump with someone else.

As for the comment regarding the schools being the "hub" for most DZ drama I disagree. From my experience these people are the more professional people on the DZ at any given time and are at the same time the most selfless people. I do not see females taken advantage of by instructors any more than they are taken advantage of or hit on by regular jumpers. Heck the JM's are usaully too busy.

Also saw a comment regarding freindliness of free flyers vs. rdubbers. There are an equal ammount of freeflyers that only jump with other ""good" freeflyers and not newbies as there are rdub organizers that do the same thing.

Just my .02. It is just life after all. Same stuff happens everywhere not just skydiving. Skydivers in general to me seem friendlier and more giving than other people.

Now since I am apparently blissfuly ignorant can someone fill me in with the gossip regarding DZ.com? I misssed it all:P

I saw a few of the girls doing a "Chest strap check" even when you could clearly tell that it was fastened the right way so I'm wondering if they swing both ways....

:$

Um, a visual inspection is good, but I like to be extra safe!
Skydiving is for cool people only

As time goes by we learn what battles are worth fighting. Sometimes the lesson is things to avoid more than anything else. Save the contention for the important stuff and it may have more impact and credibility.
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

Cliques at small DZ's are tighter than at large ones. The smaller the DZ, the tighter the clique. And if you don't believe it, you're probably in one.

Don't know about this. I jump at a small dz, and have met many of the regular jumpers. They know I'm new, but not that I'm still on student progression. I've been asked on loads and had coach jumps offered, and have to turn them down for now. When I show up just to hang, not jump (read broke) they urge me to manifest, and never seem to mind my endless questions or my snooping while they pack. No one is excluded or made to feel unwelcome during the day, or after the beer light is on.

I've spent my life as an outsider, never one of the 'gang', and have developed a good nose for cliques. I tend to ignore them and do as I please with whomever I please, but I don't feel that happening at the dz.

I really hope time doesn't prove me wrong.[:/]

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Um, a visual inspection is good, but I like to be extra safe!

yeah i'm pretty anal about chest straps too. i'll yank on mine multiple times in the plane, and i always take a good look at the strap of everyone on my load and within eyeshot.

besides, this way if a woman catches me staring at her chest i say "i was just double checking everyone's chest strap" and get away with it! ;)

b