coho21

The coolest Jump plane!!!

Woooooo HOOOOO!!!!

Yesterday I got a tour of the coolest jump plane (IMHO) in the world, the C-17!!!

Whoa baby that thing is huge. I got in and was sitting in the cargo bay while the guide was talking about the lighting and all I could think about was how many jumpers you could put in there or how fun it would be to run from the front to back and dive out!!!:ph34r:

Oh yeah and some people wouldn't even need to sit on the floor. The have these integral seets that fold down from the side of the interior. PLUS, they are built especially for airborne drops. The seets extend away from the wall so that your legs aren't wasted by having the bar in the middle of your thighs! They even have an integral rest to place your rig on when you are sitting there so that the weight is off of your shoulders.

MAN that plane rocks!!!:D

J
YSD#0009

Screw that.. how about a C-5?

You could fit what, 600 skydivers in that thing? WFFC needs to try and get one of THOSE!

:)
Kevin

Kev: I did a stint contract at Kelly A.F.B. before it closed. All they did most of the time was maintenance on C-5. Those are some MASSIVE mother f-'in planes!

Use just one C-5, just once, and you could beat almost every RW record there is.

a little tricky, maybe they could just get it going straight up, and just as it stalls, open the nose and everyone could jump at the same time and... ah, never mind. might have to settle for the 124. :D
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Jumping big planes is one of the bennies of my line of work. I have a LOT of skydives from C-130's, about 30 from a C-141, one from a C-5, and one from a C-17 (in Key West, Florida; well, actually Boca Chica NAF). There were five of us total on the C-17. I jumpmastered from the port side of the ramp and we chunked a five way. It must be noted that there is a pretty far drop off both the C-5 and C-17 tailgate before you hit the airstream, them BOOM, you better have good grips.

Chuck

I had the chance to see a An-124, we had to load it with beans that were headed to centeral america for some disaster relief....
They had to close the road that ran behind the runway so that cars wouldnt be flipped over while it was powering up for takeoff...
It was a massive aircraft...
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

Yeah something like that happened in Seattle a bunch of years ago.

(facts could be a little off but you'll get the idea, plus its all pretty much hearsay but it makes for a good story)

They wanted to demonstrate the thrust from a 747 so they put it on the end of the runway in Renton and placed a pickup truck behind it. When the plane powered up it shot the truck off the tarmac and into the water. (not a small feat):D

Damn I wish I had a video of that!!!:D

J
YSD#0009

I used to think the c-141 was the ultimate in large jump aircraft. Then I saw one parked next to a C-5. What a difference. The C-5 is enormous in comparison. They were just starting to jump para-troops out of it in the early 70's. I would imagine it is a rush to jump out of. Steve1

Yep...the C-17 is a very nice aircraft. I have 4 or 5 jumps out of it. I got to be friends with the scheduler for the guard unit in SC. I always thought that was pretty cool that I could call up and get a C-17 about the same as ordering pizza. Yes...I need you guys to fly in and pick us up on this date. Then fly us down to Florida....drop us into a DZ. Land...pick up some more jumpers, then come back a week later and bring us home. Oh yeah....can I get a side of wings with that too.....;)

PS..That pic that was posted by Konradptr is of a C-17 packed with S/L jumpers. Notice that there is STILL room for the JM's and safety to walk Between the jumpers even though they have rucks. Pretty nice!! Sure beats having to walk on ruck sacks to get to the front of the plane.