Alias

New USPA Regs

I was just told that USPA will not be issuing any cards for "A", any longer. And will not be assigning numbers also.

Are you being confused by the new A license proficiency card that is part of the new ISP? There is no longer a written test. Instead you have several verbal tests and have to have everything on this card signed off in order to get an A license.
As money hungry as the USPA is I can't imagine they would get rid of this source of revenue.

Hi all.
Though I haven't read the new USPA material it seems like they are following suit to what the CSPA did last year.
CSPA added a new proficiency level called the Solo Certificate. It doesn't come with a card or a number as far as I know and there is no written test. The test is Oral and 25 questions long. The student must Ace this test to receive their certificate.
Along with adding the Solo Certificate the privileges associated with the other licenses changed as well..

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

I don't know- I fulfilled all my "A" requirements and had the card signed and stamped, and just sat on it until I was ready to send in for my "B" - If I wanted to I could have sent in for an A number, but why, if the signed and stamped proficiency card carries the same weight? Save the 20 bucks and make another jump!

I need some ideas for a new signature line-

Easy Does It

I can't say for sure, but I think that would be unlikely as the board recently voted in favor of increasing the "A License" jump requirements to 25.

As an aside, the B requirements will remain 50, C will be 200 jumps, and a D license will require 500 jumps. These new requirements will take effect Sept of 2003. This is per an article in Parachutist this month.

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

Here's what is changing....

„h The 2-page or 4-page USPA A License Proficiency card will be the only paperwork accepted for a USPA A License application. The old A License applications with the written test will be rejected beginning January 1. All USPA Members applying for the USPA A License should have a completed A License Proficiency card with a signature from a current USPA Instructor verifying that the candidate has met all of the requirements, including the oral A License test and the A License check dive that is outlined in Section 4 of the Skydiver¡¦s Information Manual.

Did they really change the A license jump requirement to 25 jumps, or was it just voted on? I searched the USPA website but couldn't find it. Also, does anyone in Hawaii want to let me pack their rig for them until mine gets here, hehe?
Jess

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming....

I can't say for sure, but I think that would be unlikely as the board recently voted in favor of increasing the "A License" jump requirements to 25.

As an aside, the B requirements will remain 50, C will be 200 jumps, and a D license will require 500 jumps. These new requirements will take effect Sept of 2003. This is per an article in Parachutist this month.

Welcome to Canada, my friends! Not only is our Beer stronger :D we have had these standards in place for 18 months.

What seems different is that we have something calles a Solo Certificate (not an FAI CoP) allowing us to jump with Coach 2's to develop the RW endorsement. I suspect you'll have something like that soon - in Canada, with a bunch of SMALL C-182 DZ's, we only get 9500 AGL on a regular basis and that sure doesn't leave a lot of time to progress in freefall skills with the low jump numbers I'm seeing on these forums. (sorta like our dollar is smaller?!? >:()
I'm on the edge of my B CoP with 106 jumps. Canopy control, altitude awareness (regular progression), launch stability (many short delays) all benefit from this system. But damn, the best I've had is 11,000 ft on a cool 'not quite night yet' century jump. I'm looking forward to 13,500 in a turbine when I visit my sister in the Bay area - as soon as I can amassa enough grenbacks ;)

Blue Skies

Dave T

www.cspa.ca is our national website.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Did they really change the A license jump requirement to 25 jumps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes but none of that takes effect until Sept 2003.

That sucks. Those solo jumps sure do get boring, "Yup, 6 grand, still falling, yipee." What's the point in requiring more of them. That's the point when a novice should start jumping with other people.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

You're supposed to go jump a coach or an instructor.

Yeah, something like 3 or 4 jumps to perform certain maneuvers. Ha, listen to me being all spoiled, "Damn, boring solo jump."
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Dave, apparently it's not Canada alone. According to the article, USPA is following the lead of the majority of FAI member countries.

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

Personally, I think 500 jumps for a "D" is a little out of line. If you want safer skydivers, bump the jump requirements to 300 and add requirements in the areas that need more emphasis / improvement!

IMHO, simply increasing the jump # requirements isn't enough. Hell, I can flail around for 500 jumps as easily as I can for 200. On the other hand, if I have to do something productive on those jumps, well, that's a different story.

G. Jones

Check out the Canadian system, they offer freefly or RW options for each licence.

Hey Phree, sounds like a step in the right direction. I just think anything that needs to be done, regardless of the FF or RW requirements, could be done in 300 jumps.

Keeping in mind that my frame of mind is a little warped right at the moment (and no offense is intended...to anyone), if the rest of the world wants to lead, let them go to Iraq!

G. Jones