riddler

What percentage of your friends are skydivers?

The polls looked fun, so I though I would jump on the bandwagon.
This is an interesting one to me, because I used to have so many friends that were not skydivers. I guess they all got sick of hearing me talk about it, so I only have a few whuffo friends left. I've heard this happens to a lot skydivers.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I only have a few friends who are skydivers (and it looks like Chile is one of them! :D), but then I am a brand new skydiver, so I haven't had time to run them off yet. I'm hoping I can "convert" a few of them actually...there are a couple who want to at least do it once, which is a start. Now, saying is one thing, doing is another, and I have to get them out there!

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

When I started jumping, I had to get rides to the DZ ('cause it was about 200 miles from my house), so I used to get friends to take me down and do a tandem while they were there. It's great fun to introduce your whuffo friends to the sport! (I'm actually working on one guy right now, but he's had an excuse for the last three weekends. Maybe next weekend...) I've also found that I have a TON of whuffo friends that say, "Oh, I really want to do it!" and I can tell they never will. Of course, that doesn't stop me from encouraging them to try it...
As for me, I'm about 50/50, whuffos to skydivers.

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

before my GF left me the relationship skydivingfriends/non-skydiving friends would be 1%/99%....which sucked..

But when she left me, that gave me the chance to dump half (if not more) of the friends I knew through her...
Typical phonecalls I get now and then:
"heyy...yeaa..sorry, I haven't called you for so long...what...If I want to come to a movie with all of you....ooouhh....no...I'm bussy tomorrow.....eehm...yea next week I'm bussy too.....*flipping through my agenda*...noop..the whole year is full already...I'll call you january okay..byeeee"

All I'm left with at the moment is a few cool friends, and no more lamers....which rules..
Next to that, due to hanging out more at the DZ, the percentage skydiving friends/non skydiving friends is climbing towards 50/50 :)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I agree with CHILI, NIce twist on his question!
there arent many people here that I know so by friends, do you mean real live ones? cuase I uh dont have many that are local! but most of the real ones are LOCO! (i didnt even have any beer yet!=)
My photos

My Videos

So far After 11 years, I got 10 girls to jump and 1 guy(outside my family) Everyone in my family has jumped except my Dad.:|

I'm only a low time jumper but i'd like to classify most of the ppl at the dz that i know as friends:)I never do to much with my whuffo friends on the weekends anymore..lol... they don't even ask what i'm doin on the weekend anymore they just go "so your goin jumpin tomorrow again?" How hard is it to convince people to come! I think i've got 3 mates convinced to come as soon as they turn 16 though B|

I would say that about half of my friends are skydivers. I work really hard to make sure that I don't lose my whuffo friends. It would be easier to just have skydiving friends, but I don't ever want to be one dimensional, if that makes any sense

I do give up skydiving frineds to pursue other interests and other friends. And my life is richer for the effort.

Anne

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

Its hard to keep whuffo's around due to the same answer to their eternal question.. "so what did you do this weekend?" Besides the ones who aren't tired of hearing people talk about skydiving want to keep you away from their girlfriends, relatives, pets and anything that might follow you into a plane!

Hmm i know what thats like! No one bothers to call me on the w/e anymore unless the weather is crappy, I know a few of my mates have been a bit pissed off me lately cause of this hehe.

Oh yeah I wouldnt say you have anyone convinced to do a tandem until they have handed over their $50 deposit... Ive found that out the hard way ;)

the only friends i really haev that don't jump are people i know through work. not many jumpers in my immediate local area. given the choice, i'd drive a couple hours to meet up with jumper friends though. they're much more fun to hang around with.

I'm the same as you Stacy. All my good friends are jumpers, but i occasionally hang out with my co-workers. I do have 1 friend near me that i hang out with, he is a total wuffo, but at least he acts interested when i talk about jumping.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

lol..I was explaining the difference between AFF..SL..and Tandem to a coupla mates in class the other day and there like..why would u do aff if sl's cheaper and all this...did we used to be like these ppl? completely oblivious?!?! lol

All skydivers are my friend until they prove otherwise;) I've hit 33states and 54 DZ's and I think I've met maybe 3 or 4 people who I didn't like...Assholes can be anywhere...:P

Maybe you could publish an official list of assholes. It'd save some of us a little time if we happen to visit another DZ. Get healed up, so you can make it an official part of your Quest.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

Being new to the sport I am still making (at least I hope I am making) new skydiving friends. But one thing I find with many of my casual friends is that most of them are activity oriented friends. What I mean by that is that there are a certain group of people I hang with when I play hockey and a completly different group of people for volleyball, skiing, rock climbing and now I am making some new skydiving friends the more I hang out at DZs.
But one of the neat things I finding with this website is that I make friends here and sooner or later I will visit their DZ (or they will visit mine) or in the case of the Eloy Christmas boogie we all meet at one DZ. Eloy will rock and meeting many of my fellow DZ.COMers will make it even more fun. :$

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

When I lived in VA I had almost no skydiving friends. My DZ was a 3 hour drive and no one else lived near me that skydived so I only saw the skydivers one or two weekends a month. Since moving to Seattle area, almost all the people I've met outside of work have been skydivers so I'd say that 90% of my friends are skydivers. (I don't consider any people I work with real friends. Not that I don't like them I just don't hang out with them outside of work) I can count on one hand the number of whuffo friends that I have. That being said, all my whuffo friends are totally cool about hanging out with skydivers at parties and we all get along great. One big happy family.

R