DrunkMonkey

Fat People on Airliners

Thank God sanity prevailed here...
------------------------------------------
LONDON, England -- A woman injured while squeezed next to an obese passenger on a trans-Atlantic flight has been given £13,000 ($20,000) by the airline.

Barbara Hewson, 63, was offered damages by Virgin Atlantic after suffering a blood clot, torn leg muscles and sciatica following a flight to Los Angeles in January 2001, the UK's Press Association reported.

She said the woman passenger was so large she had to sit with the arm rests up, but when she complained, the crew said there was nothing they could do as the plane was full.

Hewson, of Swansea, Wales, who still has medical treatment, was quoted by PA on Monday as saying: "It was never about the money. No money would pay for you having sleepless nights with the pain."

The freelance writer, who travelled with her husband Roy, 67, said she spent most of her holiday in bed. "It ruined the holiday. We went out very little."

Hewson added that half-way through the flight the woman asked if she was okay, saying to her: "I'm sitting on your lap."

"I had three sessions of sitting in the hostess seat and I stood for a little while," added Hewson.

Virgin Atlantic said in a statement: "This was an unprecedented set of extremely unfortunate circumstances.

"We have apologised to Mrs Hewson and offered her compensation, which she has accepted, and we are pleased that this has now reached a conclusion."
---------------------------------------------

And now these "fat rights" groups are protesting, saying they're covered under the ADA. :SNo, sorry, you're not disabled. You're a f**king manatee. It's not a disability. If you're missing a leg, it's a disability. If you're missing a cheesecake, it's NOT a disability.

If you are so friggin fat you need two seats, ante up, you cheap fat bastard!!>:(

And now these "fat rights" groups are protesting, saying they're covered under the ADA. :SNo, sorry, you're not disabled. You're a f**king manatee. It's not a disability. If you're missing a leg, it's a disability. If you're missing a cheesecake, it's NOT a disability.

There ARE metabolic differences. Some people really can eat less and still gain weight. Others have mental conditions that make weight gain almost inevitable. There are medications that make weight gain almost inevitable. Really.
That said, if someone can't sit safely next to you, then you need to pay for two seats, or take your chances on there being empty seats. Just like if you want to take a nap, you take your chances on being able to put up the armrest and lay down across the seats. It's called manners.
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yeah, that's a good ending to a shitty story.

As a former fat guy I gotta agree with you. On airliners the people are cargo. If you are bigger cargo you gotta pay more freight.

You don't have to be mean about it, but it's true.

"Cartman, your ass is so fat that when you walk down the street people say "God Dammitt that's a big fat ass!!!" :D

OHMIGOD they killed Kenny!

Cornholio is supposed to ask me to put the phone under by butt at this point.....

So I was on a Continental flight a while back, sitting in an emergency exit isle seat in the middle of the airplane. Along comes this really, really really fat person waddling down the isle sideways because she could't fit in the isle any other way. When she finally reached my part of the plane she was puffing from all the excersise of the long walk. Her seat was in the adjacent emergency exit isle. The flight attendants had to lift both arm rests, assist in lowering her to the actual seat(s) and get her a seat belt extension.

When I complained about having somebody so fat blocking an exit the flight attendents told me she couldn't fit in any regular coach seat, so she had to be assigned to an exit row with more room. They agreed she would be unable to use the exit, but promised to relocate her in the event of an emergency.

I wrote a friendly letter to Continental Airlines and received a reply that told me in very clear terms that overweight people have a right to fly, and Continental appreciates their business. If the only seat a large person will fit in is an exit row seat, then Continental will accommodate the person even if that person will block the exit. The letter basically said that my concern about safety was misplaced, and that I should be more sensitive.

Go figure.

Tom Buchanan
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

As I have been accused of being the b*tch I tell people I am when I meet them here is my take:

Buy two seats for the trip, then go to a Dr. when you get home and get some help. There has got to be something that they can do even if it is cut some of the fat out.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Fat people should be palletized, shrink wrapped and transported in cargo planes.
On a somber note - metabolism or not, keeping your weight under control is a matter of personal hygene. When I see people stuffing themselves at fast food places with the most repulsive greasy, stuff. Then of course all the free time is spent on a couch in front of the Bube Tube. Sorry, but my compassion is very limited.
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

quote]They agreed she would be unable to use the exit, but promised to relocate her in the event of an emergency.

oh yeah i'll ‘relocate’ her...

my question is; if she wont fit out the emergency exit easily why is she allowed on the plane? And don’t the FARs require you to be able to operate the exit if you sit there? Unlikely she could…

And don’t the FARs require you to be able to operate the exit if you sit there? Unlikely she could…

Nope. As it was explained to me, the person must volunteer that they can't operate the exit. The FAR doesn't require the airline to make that determination. In this case, it was quantifiably obvious...she needed both arm rests up, she couldn't seat herself without assistance, and she needed a seatbelt extension. Yet, unless she told the flight attendant she couldn't operate the exit she was fine to sit there.

What a great policy!

-tom buchanan
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

At least once a week I go to the movies at Universal Studios. The walk from the mega parking garage to the movie theatre is very educational. 80% of the people out there are overweight. OK I agree that these theme parks are truly entatrainement for the masses. Yet it is just to prove that our Joe Sixpack looks like Fat Bastard.
There is no such thing as a "magic diet", only a healthy diet. I eat a lot! I make sure it's healthy - lots of veggies, seafood, only the leanest meat. I will have an occasional burger or hot dog. I love pizza and eat it often. I move my ass though.
In a sense I am a food Whuffo: Whuffo you eatin' 'at greasy burger?
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275