prepheckt

What language(s) can you speak

Maybe in such a large country most people just don´t need foreign languages. If I drive in any direction for only a couple of hours, nobody understands my German anymore...

That's exactly why. Even if an American tries to learn a foreign language it's hard to stay "current" with it. When are you gonna use it? Unless you get to actively use a language for a fair period of time it can fade very quickly. That's why I can insult people, order beers, and pick up hookers in 4 differen't languages. :D But I only speak English with any skill.

Furthermore I was under the impression, that only a very small number of US-americans ever leave their country.

Well, when I was little I really wanted to go to Austrailia. My father said no-one should travel to other countries w/out seeing their own country first. So, at 13 I visited 42 of the 50 states over the summer, stayed a minimum of a day in each and up to a week in others. I've made it to Alaska but not Hawaii. I've been just about everywhere on this side of the world (some S. Amer countries, everywhere in the Carribean, Canada and Mexico) but I have yet to travel anywhere on the other side of the world. I can't wait to, though. I would love to visit as many places as possible, but I'm not so much interested in the touristy parts, so much as I am where the locals live, how they live, etc. My first destination that I really want to go is Thailand. I'm grad in December, then start working full-time, buy a house and hopefully, after that, I can begin my travels;-).

The greatest thing about skydiving is no matter where in the world you go, chances are, you'll have a friend, and what better way to see the sights than from 13,000 ft in freefall?

in keeping with tradition...
I speak all English languages....but I understand Kiwi, and English (UK) most!!!

Eu falo portugues muito bem.....solo parlo italiano mezzo-mezzo....je parle francais en peu.....ich spreche deutche - nein!.....and.....I word up wif da homeys, a'ight!!B|

Other than that.....I tend to speak my own language most of the time....no wonder nobody gets me!!!:)

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

I"m not a yankee. I'm a floridian. fl-or-id-a. or-ange...

See....you are wrong again. You live in West Palm which is considered both a Yankee state (South Florida) or part of the "occupied territories" kinda like the West Bank......whichever you think suits better...:ph34r:

Finnish, of course. English is my first foreign language, I've studied it 9 years. Swedish a little bit ( it is second official language of our country and we have to study it, but because it is obligatory no one really likes it). I've studied german six years, but can only get a beer ( but it is enough, isn't it?)

>Erno, why do you have boiled cabbage in your leather shorts??

:D
Actually that's supposed to be "sour cabbage"(I really don't know how it translates to english). Some kind of weird German specialty anyway...

And no, I have no idea on the origin of the sentence, it's just some kind of a flying catchphrase here in Finland... :S

Man, this is the ultimate post-whoring setup; I now have two computers side by side at DZcom...:)

Carrie, do you guys shove cabbage down your shorts too?

"So is that a cabbage in your shorts, or are you just pleased to see me?"
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I'm from Norway and speak norwegian of course. All scandinavians more or less understand each other without to many misunderstandings. Have learnt english in school since I was 9 and german since I was 14. I also spent 6 months in a non english speaking part of Spain, thus I had to learn some spanish as well.

dag

Yes true it is not Florida. Palm beach is more NY, than NY itself. Oy vey!

HEY! there aren't palm trees or clear water in NY. I'm in florida!!! well in a few hours at least. wish me luck on my presentation. 200 people want to listen to my garbagey research. HA!

This is so sad...

What type of movies do you pick up your German from? ;) (Just kidding)

Talking about movies: When was in the US for the first time in 89 is was amazed when I watched a movie (Die Hard I) and realized the (East) German bad guy talked German; in the original US soundtrack, that is... (Along the lines of "Schnell, schnell Hans") Argh!

Another anecdote: Travelling along Highway 101 as a tourist I once stopped to see if I could help with a car problem. Minutes later another car approached and the guy yelled "Was ist los?" (that´s: What´s going on?). He was baffled when I replied in German and we then found out these were the only German words he knew...

OK long story. It was funny for me at that time....

Thomas
Germany