prepheckt

What language(s) can you speak

Stacy says I have a SERIOUS Southern accent too. I think it's just because she is a Yankee!!!

No. I was born and raised in Texas and you, my friend, have a SERIOUS Southern accent.

I used to speak French pretty well. I even have a minor in it. Years of disuse have atrophied my ability though. :(
Skydiving is for cool people only

I don't know what a falschimsprung i

a "falschirm" is a parachute..."springen" is to jump.... the word in german for skydiving is "falschirmspringen" and i think in that using sprung would be the corect ending...but my grammer and spellling was never really great... (did get 12 sem. hours in college for it though just through testing....

here's the link to my old dz in germany....really cool little 206 dz....http://www.fallschirmsporttrier.de/

Fluent in Portugesse and English and what you said. I cannot read portugesse very well but I can speak it and am going to fix that very soon when I go on a trip there next year.

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." Napoleon Bonaparte

I know some medical spanish....(kinda a requirement in my field) and also can speak fluently in ASL...or is that really speaking??....LOL...I can sign...due to my daughters mom being almost totaly deaf....my daughter could sign before she could talk almost.....:)

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Afrikaans - Home language
English - fluently
German I can understand and read, but I have difficulty speaking it.
I had an Italian b/f, but I forgot almost everything he learned me. I can ask for a glass of water though. And I can swear in Portugese.

Gene Police: "YOU!! Out of the pool, NOW!!!"

Languages spoken/understood:
English---home language.
Afrikaans--fluent (Hey Stormy Ek klink nes 'n Boer;))
Some Xhosa
Some French
Some Dutch
Some Flemish

Dialects:
Mauritian patois
Cape flats 'Afrikaans'
Funigalo (African mining dialect)

I can also follow written German

Afrikaans is a hybrid language which has its roots in Dutch and German hence my familiarity.
Flemish is very similar to Afrikaans.

Cape flats 'Afrikaans' has its roots in the South African prison system:$B|. I work with a lot of ex cons.:S

english-native tounge
French- haltingly
and enough to find a restroom or a beer in German, Spanish, Dutch, and I had a friend in college who was Japenese and she taught me things that if I was bored and wanted to fight someone that I could say:o:)

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

This is amazing! As a European (or as a German as a matter of fact) I have the prejudice that not a lot of US citizens speak foreign languages (except for those who speak spanish for obvious reasons). Furthermore I was under the impression, that only a very small number of US-americans ever leave their country.

And now here is a community where a thread about foreign languages explodes with examples of good knowledge of German and other languages.

Somehow the skydiving community seems to be full of open-minded, wide-travelled, well educated people. I would hate to believe that´s because it´s an expensive sport.

Oh, by the way:
Me?
German - Mother tongue
English - Fluent (I dare say)
French - almost fluent

Viele Grüße an alle hier im Forum, die Deutsch verstehen. Dies ist eine sehr interessante Diskussion.

Einen schönen Tag noch.

Grüße aus Deutschland

Thomas

Well, since I met Skymama today I am pretty confident I am fluent in the language of LOVE

uh, jraf, take the leisure suit off, and step away from the barry white and no one gets hurt:P

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

Ja Gruezi Thomas (Sued) Moin, Moin (Nord) Wir sind alle nicht so doof! Ich sage immer dass die Vereinten Staaten das Land der besten und der schlimmsten Biere der Welt ist. Das selbe gilt fuer Unis. Wenn Du hier Ausbildung ernst nimmst, dann kriegst Du das beste.

Bis Spaeter Junge,
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Ich habe nicht gesagt, daß irgendjemand doof ist. Schau Dir nur die Nobel-Preis-Verleihungen an. Da sind (in den Naturwissenschaften) doch fast nur US-Amerikaner dabei.

Vielleicht braucht man in so einem riesigen Land auch keine Fremdsprachen. Wenn ich mit dem Auto einige Stunden in eine beliebige Richtung fahre spricht niemand mehr Deutsch...

For the non-Germans:
I was not implying that anybody is stupid (that´s what jraf thought I did). Just look at where the nobel prices in science go... (mostly USA).

Maybe in such a large country most people just don´t need foreign languages. If I drive in any direction for only a couple of hours, nobody understands my German anymore...

Auf Wiedersehen,
Thomas

I understand german (speaking and writing it myself works to some extent, but usualy turns pretty ugly:)

I speak and write english

en Suid Afrikaans (because it's almost 99% like dutch, pretty easy)

En my own language, Dutch

And verry, verry limited french (I can order a croissant or big mac and ask for directions..but that's about it)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?