billvon

Looks like we just bombed Yemen

>We may not be so morally superior. Don't care.

Perhaps that is our basic difference, then. I do care, and I try to live my life morally. I very much hope my country does as well.

>"And for as long as we kill them and support the people who do, we
> will be that great satan, and for good reason. When we stop they will
> find a new great satan, ..."

>We avoided it. They attacked us all over the globe and twice in NY.

We created Al Quaeda. We supported Hussein with military intelligence and aid while he was gassing his own citizens. We give millions in military aid to Israel. We regularly attack Middle Eastern countries and support puppet governments. We have military bases all over the Mediterranean and the Gulf. We could not be MORE in the Middle East.

And note that no one ever claimed that the Afghanis attacked us; the terrorists were Saudi, but the Taliban were not willing to let us send our troops in to search for Bin Laden, so we attacked them. Not because they attacked us, or out of self defense, but because they were in the way.

>I think that the Muslim community views us the way that the Bible
> Belt in the US views Hollywood. They believe that if they don't
> destroy us, that the US will destroy the moral foundation of their
> country.

I will agree with you there.

>In the long run, westernization may do that. To our eyes, educating
> women, and other issues, is an improvement. To their eyes, it is
> cultural genocide. Even though I do not agree with their culture, I
> can see their viewpoint.

Very true. Too many people, I think, see their culture as evil and horrible because they are simply different from ours. Some cultures may see us as repressive because we force women to cover their breasts, just as we are dismayed that an Islam man might want a woman to cover her face. Or they might be shocked that in the US we sexually mutilate baby boys, but to us it's just circumcision which, of course, isn't appalling at all - it's just what we're used to. We can use a lot more tolerance on both sides.

>My point is, as long as we exist, they will keep attacking. There is no
> middle point or co-existence. Our existence threatens theirs.

Hmm. The bible belt seems to be able to avoid miltiary action against Hollywood, and seems content with diplomatic means (i.e. voting) to get what they want. Maybe that's a good lesson, that people will take the nonviolent route if it's available to them.

I don't buy that they must attack because they don't like our culture, any more than we must attack them because we don't like theirs. There are plenty of people we don't like that we coexist with; they are no different.

>Therefore, any attack is subject to massive and unrelenting
> retaliation. Maybe they won't like us, but they won't attack anymore
> either.

Well, as I've said before, Israel has been practicing massive and unrelenting retaliation for twenty years now. A suicide bomber kills ten, they kill 40 and knock down a settlement. A sniper kills an Israeli, they blow up the PLO's compound again and kill everyone except Arafat. It just plain doesn't work. Will they fear us, 8000 miles away, more than the country next door that regularly retaliates?

>There may one day be non-petroleum vehicles and we can ignore
> them because they will no longer have petro-dollars to buy weapons
> with. They will go back to bumping goats with a stick. That day isn't
> soon.

That day could be in a few years if we took the money we will spend on the Iraq war and put it into:

-natural gas vehicles
-domestic natural gas development
-electric vehicle development
-hybrid vehicle incentives

The problem is that's not going to win anyone any elections. Waving that flag will.

"We can't stop the violence; the best we can do is avoid it."

Isn't it a good thing that the isolationists didn't win the argument to join World War 2? Avoiding it just passes the buck to the people in the future who WILL eventually have to deal with a mess that we didn't clean up. With irrational people and irrational agendas, there is no avoiding conflict. They will, and did, find a way to make sure of that.

Bill, you seem to think that there is a way to take the moral high-ground in this terrorist/middle-east thing. There isn't. They don't care who they kill, civilians and military are all the same to them. Nor do they care about killing their own people. It would seem that the standards for this conflict were set by the terrorists and dictators of the middle east.

Again, if you know a better way to SOLVE these problems, instead of saying that we shouldn't be in this situation to begin with, let us know. We can't change the past, what can we do in the future?
Oh, hello again!

>I suspect that we use proxy groups, like the Al Quaida when they
> were fighting with the Soviets, because it's easier than fighting the
> battles directly.

Yep, but the pain that comes later when they come back against _us_ just isn't worth it. I keep hoping we learn that.

>Don't fund the Kurds, have US forces go in and kill Saddam
> themselves.

Hey, if Saddam attacks the US, even sends a bomber in our direction, I'd be all for that. If his crime is that he's developing nuclear weapons, give him one more chance to come clean, and if he refuses (or tries yet another delaying tactic) then go in as part of the UN (since it was a UN resolution, and Iraqi nukes could threaten everyone, not just us) and get him.

But if we do get those inspections done one way or another, and his only crime is that he's a really bad guy, add him to the list and just watch him. Let Hussein, Al Quaeda and the Kurds battle it out - not really our battle, as long as he doesn't lob anything in our direction. They will probably kill each other. They may all work it out - stranger things have happened. It's just not our business.

>Isn't it a good thing that the isolationists didn't win the argument to
> join World War 2?

There was an event that caused us to enter WWII that had nothing to do with isolationism, or the hawks in congress, or the peaceniks. We were attacked; we responded.

>Bill, you seem to think that there is a way to take the moral high-
>ground in this terrorist/middle-east thing. There isn't. They don't
> care who they kill, civilians and military are all the same to them.

There is one option you haven't mentioned - ignore them. Are they killing Chinese? Threatening Beijing? Why not? Do they like Asians, or has China simply remained pretty much out of the conflict?

> Nor do they care about killing their own people. It would seem that
> the standards for this conflict were set by the terrorists and dictator
> of the middle east.

And if we let their standards define our foreign policy, we're the fools.

>Again, if you know a better way to SOLVE these problems, instead of
>saying that we shouldn't be in this situation to begin with, let us
> know. We can't change the past, what can we do in the future?

In the future, don't fund radical terrorist groups, even if they tell you they will attack a bad government.

In the future, make sure our economy does not depend on unstable parts of the world.

In the future, defend the US by attacking aggressors. Figure out who they are and go after them. Don't stop until you have the people who did it. Then, the most important part - stop.

If we as a nation want people killed and stuff broken, we should stand up and do it in daylight. Don't fund other groups/governments to do it for us or on our behalf.

This is true but what if you want people killed and stuff broken PLUS you don't want to have to risk any soldiers? In order for war to exist, the people of both sides have to ask themselves "Are we willing to fight and die for this cause?" The answer must obviously be an astounding YES! if they indeed DO go out and fight or send their children to die. When a third party stands to benefit, or even just 'wants' to lend a hand, another phenomenon occurs altogether. To the third party, both the level of risk (involvment) and the level of benefit (outcome) are variables... The case of Al Queda vs. the Soviets, is a direct example of what happens when a third party wants into the fray but doesn't think it's worth fighting for (thus the use of proxy groups)

Don't fund the Kurds

Right!

have US forces go in and kill Saddam themselves.

Wrong! The UN should be the power that finally overthrows Saddam.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

So long as your fridge didn't register and vote. [Blush]

Nope. It's legs are too short to make it down the stairs without help. however, some of the choices we had this year? my fridge could've voted for all the difference it will make...

The sticker started over my left breast.....:P I figured I'd best put it somewhere before I took off my shirt and tossed it into the hamper. Ever try to clean a sticker which has been washed and dried onto a silk shirt? Not something I care to experience...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

my "I voted" sticker is stuck on the fridge....

So long as your fridge didn't register and vote.:$

And Sharkman, the voting stopped on Election Day, even in Florida. The COUNTING took a month.:P

Sorry, thought we had a system like Saddam's.;)

Lovely, the CIA has become an offensive agency. I thought waging war was to be part of the armed forces. Of course, I'm not so naive to believe the CIA has never done offensive things before. But this is pretty overt.

Chris

O, pardon me, thou bleeding piece of earth,
That I am meek and gentle with these butchers!
Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

These are the dirtiest Dogs of War, and we need them if we're going to stomp those wacky ragheads.

God damn, I wish I could be with them!
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

productive, reasonable, and feasible alternatives would yield anything of value.

So, you mean to say that the U.S. of A. has no other choice than to put a few holes on mother-earth's surface with missiles, bombs, and other wicked stuff? I think there is much more potential in the Country's leaders than to send out their young soldiers to kill or get killed.
I just think wars are very 'convenient' for a a Country like the U.S. (or Great Britain for that matter). It's muscle power... control.... money.... oil!!!

My $.02

The problem is that's not going to win anyone any elections. Waving that flag will.

I couldn't agree with you more. Anything with a U.S. flag will sell like crazy (and I do mean "anything"). It is always great [political] advertisement.
It seems to me that people from the U.S. have great respect for what their Flag represents; however, on the other hand, it also seems very incongruous that they are willing to use that same Flag in a somewhat debatable fashion (i.e., underwear, toilet seats, etc.). In other Countries it is a Federal crime to "desecrate" a National insignia in such a fashion, and you may even be put in jail for it.

Different countries, different rules.

'Hmm. The bible belt seems to be able to avoid miltiary action against Hollywood...that people will take the nonviolent route if it's available to them. "

The Hollywood/BB reference was just to show that they find our morality objectionable. People may take the non-violent route, but that is apparently not what is happening and we need to deal with that reality, not "maybe" or "I wish...". There is a non-violent route, the UN. They didn't take that.

Diplomacy (the non-violent choice) is only possible when there is a middle ground. Al-Queda does not have one with the US. They will negotiate to stall their own destruction, but not to resolve issues.

"I don't buy that they must attack because they don't like our culture, any more than we must attack them because we don't like theirs. There are plenty of people we don't like that we coexist with; they are no different. "

That is correct. We don't like someones culture, we don't attack it. We do co-exist. However, we are different.

Apparently, they do. They are the aggressors. They hate American culture, call us the "Great Satan". They have attacked a long list of embassies, the Cole, the WTC... Embassies are supposed to be sovereign territory and protected by their host nation. Remember Iran? You can have whatever reason you want, but embassies are against everyones rules. They don't want to co-exist or play by "rules" or be "fair".

No they aren't the same as us. They aren't going to stop unless we do something in self-defense.

>"Therefore, any attack is subject to massive and >unrelenting retaliation. Maybe they won't like us, >but they won't attack anymore either.

"Well, as I've said before, Israel has been practicing massive and unrelenting retaliation for twenty years now."

Not correctly. There used to be a maxim of ambush teams. "Ambush is murder" Well, war is all about killing. Once you start that enterprise, take out all the opposition. People want to be "fair". Take off the gloves, find the Al-Queda, kill em. I know you want to be the "good guys" or morally right. Protecting yourself is morally right.

"Will they fear us, 8000 miles away, more than the country next door that regularly retaliates? "

If it is done right.

Israel was createdafter WWII. The Palestinians were already there. I can understand their animosity.

I seriously doubt if the Israel/Palestine thing is ever going to be resolved because they both want to be in charge of the same land.

Different situation. We just want them to leave us alone. We are in our own land, they are in theirs.
They should have stayed home.

Anyone comes to your home with a knife and you shoot them, it is not a question of "that wasn't fair".
It is stupid to bring a knife to a gun fight. It is stupid to f-- with a military/technological superpower if don't even have electricity.

It seems to me that people from the U.S. have great respect for what their Flag represents; however, on the other hand, it also seems very incongruous that they are willing to use that same Flag in a somewhat debatable fashion (i.e., underwear, toilet seats, etc.). In other Countries it is a Federal crime to "desecrate" a National insignia in such a fashion, and you may even be put in jail for it.

I don't like it when people desecrate the flag of my country, but I am damn thankful to live in a country where they have the freedom and the protected right to do that if that is their choice.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

We knew where Abu Nidal was

Not only that but there was a CIA field agent that had the means to kill him. He couldn't do it because it was against US law and he could have gone to prison for a long time. He chose to not take that risk and follow orders. I'm not positive I would have.

What I find interesting is that Iraq whacked him just recently (suicide, my hairy white ass). I initially thought this was because Hussein didn't want to draw any more attention to himself; id est, whacking Nidal was a good distraction.

Now, after having given it more thought, it occurs to me that Nidal was perceived by Hussein as a threat to his absolute rule of Iraq. I can't think of another reason that an Arab "hero" would die such an ignominious death in a friendly country.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Wrong! The UN should be the power that finally overthrows Saddam.

The UN? I really have had it with the UN. The UN has NO place in today's world. The UN was created for a reason, and that reason is now nullified. It has become the demure master with the Big Dog on a heavy chain. The UN likes to play their little holier than thou games as we (the US) fund them and fight their wars. But god forbid we want to go defend ourselves from the evils of this world.

If we want a global nation, fine. Let's put it to a vote. I say disband the UN and let everybody think for themselves. It has outlived it's usefulness and has become the all-powerful wizard.

peace,

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

"The UN has NO place in today's world. The UN was created for a reason, and that reason is now nullified. It has become the demure master with the Big Dog on a heavy chain. The UN likes to play their little holier than thou games as we (the US) fund them and fight their wars."

>>>exercising massive restraint<<<
I can only say that I disagree with your viewpoint Mike.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

>Diplomacy (the non-violent choice) is only possible when there is a
> middle ground. Al-Queda does not have one with the US. They will
> negotiate to stall their own destruction, but not to resolve issues.

I agree that Al-Quaeda is not amenable to negotiation. They are a terrorist organization who has attacked us; I'm all for going after them. I hope we don't lose our focus on that in our zeal to go after other people we don't like.

>Embassies are supposed to be sovereign territory and protected by
> their host nation. Remember Iran?

Remember back when the US destroyed the Chinese embassy in Belgrade? Again, hard to claim moral superiority there.

>Different situation. We just want them to leave us alone. We are in
> our own land, they are in theirs. They should have stayed home.

OK, I'm having trouble figuring out what you're referring to here. A while back you said:

"I think that the Muslim community views us the way that the Bible Belt in the US views Hollywood. They believe that if they don't destroy us, that the US will destroy the moral foundation of their country. . . .
My point is, as long as we exist, they will keep attacking."

Are we talking about just Al-Quaeda or the Muslim community here?