Muenkel

Define your political views

i don't vote. not sure why, but i just don't

Aren't you like, umm, 18? Give yourself a chance. You might end up doing it someday.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Just wondering what the mix is here. This poll can of course be answered anonymously.

I don't know how to answer this. The last presidential election was the first time I could vote, and I chose who I voted for by watching the debates, and selecting the person who I liked better, I guess you could say by character differences. So far as other issues I vote on, I form my own opinion based on my feelings, and don't follow a party's ways specifically. I guess I should use this revelation to try to find out which party I should affiliate myself with, if any.

--
Hook high, flare on time

I don't know how to answer this. The last presidential election was the first time I could vote, and I chose who I voted for by watching the debates, and selecting the person who I liked better, I guess you could say by character differences. So far as other issues I vote on, I form my own opinion based on my feelings, and don't follow a party's ways specifically. I guess I should use this revelation to try to find out which party I should affiliate myself with, if any.

Now THAT is an intelligent answer! You don't need to register with a specific party. This makes you an Independent. I wish more people would have the wisdom you just displayed.

Now THAT is an intelligent answer! You don't need to register with a specific party. This makes you an Independent. I wish more people would have the wisdom you just displayed.

Guess I shouldn't ruin that by saying that I'm on my way to getting hammered then, eh... :)
Right now I'm searching askjeeves and other sites to see if I can find an online quiz to tell me if I am predominantly Republican/Democratic/Independant out of curiosity. I feel bad for being so lazy about investigating this, so any tips about how to decide would be appreciated. :)

--
Hook high, flare on time

I don't know if you live in a state where you have to declare affiliation. If you don't, then be whatever you want to be, and keep evaluating each candidate. Eventually you'll figure out that you vote for a preponderance of one flavor or another.

If you do, then I feel really sorry for you, because then there are more rules to play by.

It's just about always safe to call yourself independent -- it might even mean fewer campaign calls in the last month before an election.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I don't know if you live in a state where you have to declare affiliation. If you don't, then be whatever you want to be, and keep evaluating each candidate. Eventually you'll figure out that you vote for a preponderance of one flavor or another.

If you do, then I feel really sorry for you, because then there are more rules to play by.

It's just about always safe to call yourself independent -- it might even mean fewer campaign calls in the last month before an election.

I was truly clueless prior to the election, so when I registered to vote, I declared the party of the candidate that I chose to vote for. I really need to learn more about this stuff. :$

--
Hook high, flare on time

I'm over 18 but I don't have a right to vote:(. I'm here on work visa and I pay my taxes just like anybody else, just not being able to vote on how my tax dollars get spent.

I don't have the right to vote either. However, I have a green card, so I should get off my ass and get citizenship already. I'd have to identify myself libertarian, though with a small "l." I don't fit into the left-right, democrat-republican spectrum at all. I think they're all a bunch of assclowns, bereft of real ideas or principles. I believe that people have the right to do what they'd like to, within the bounds of respecting other peoples' rights. I believe that there is a private sphere and a public sphere, and that they are both important and fill roles the other cannot do.

Thanks for the link Kev, I just ran through the quiz quickly, read the descriptions only of the things I was unsure about. Interestingly my top match was 53% for the person I voted for in the last presidential election.

--
Hook high, flare on time

Pete,

I agree with Wendy. Don't declare a party affiliation if you don't have to. You'll know eventually which "club" you feel you belong to. And like she said, the added bonus is less annoying political phone calls before an election.:P

Pete,

I agree with Wendy. Don't declare a party affiliation if you don't have to. You'll know eventually which "club" you feel you belong to. And like she said, the added bonus is less annoying political phone calls before an election.:P

Yeah, I think I should switch over to Independant. I have never gotten a political phone call, perhaps because I have Privacy Director, which makes it inconvenient/difficult for people to get through to my home phone (which I am seldom at anyway). It was tough to decide last time because I disagreed with some of the policy decisions made by the candidate I chose, but I pictured the country being run by the other and didn't like what I saw.

--
Hook high, flare on time

Pete,

I agree with Wendy. Don't declare a party affiliation if you don't have to. You'll know eventually which "club" you feel you belong to. And like she said, the added bonus is less annoying political phone calls before an election.

I think you should declare even if you're not sure. At least in PA you can't vote in primaries unless you are registered Dem or Rep. Even if you don't agree with either party, chances are one of them will be elected. Might as well give yourself the chance to help pick who will represent that party.

My parents were independents with Democratic leanings. But they each registered with different parties so they could vote in both primaries.

Not that we won much last night

Ah the trials of aligning oneself with a third party... ;)

Honestly, I never expect the Libertarian candidate to win. My votes are more in support of legitimizing the party. That and showing the Republicrat majority that at least some of us think there has to be a better way...