Jessica

Lasik

I forgot my glasses at work tonight -- again. Staring at this screen for 9 hours without them is agony.

Should I get lasik? Could I end up blind? How much does it cost? I would only need it in one eye.

Ugh. This sucks. Someone sympathize please.
Skydiving is for cool people only

No, I get grossed out and faint when confronted with surgical procedures. I would just want to go in, pay my money, and get it done without anyone ever explaining what just happened to me!!!!!!!

I hate my job tonight. Hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate.

>:(>:(>:(

I forgot my glasses at work tonight -- again. Staring at this screen for 9 hours without them is agony.

Should I get lasik? Could I end up blind? How much does it cost? I would only need it in one eye.

Ugh. This sucks. Someone sympathize please.

FWIW... I just got a pre-employment physical, and the doc said no one who he has seen that has had the procedure has had any complaints... YMMV of course....

One of the things to consider is the recovery time needed to fully heal. Since you skydive the flap option is probablly not the best one based on your sport. I've talked with people who have had both lasik and PPK(?) and there is a difference in recovery and in noticable improvement. Some of my friends were noticing a marked improvment 24 hrs after the procedure. I would definately discuss with your dr. the fact that you sky dive and then weigh your pros and cons.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

You're one of those people that absolutely can't stand the thought of anything touching your eye (much less cutting into it) aren't you? I understand that totally. I tried contacts and ended up getting one stuck in the back of my eyeball and I just freaked out.

I tried contacts and ended up getting one stuck in the back of my eyeball and I just freaked out.

@#$#@&%@T@FRQEGAkjfdmda-p0rewjtgqv

i can't blieveyou just typed that ...I have to crawl under my desk in a fetal position now

My boyfriend had it earlier this year. He was 20/300 in both eyes before and 20/15 measured within an hour of the surgery. He did have to deal with blurriness from the goopy eyedrops for a few days, then unpleasant sensations (far from painful) for a couple of weeks.

A month later he was skydiving again with a full-face helmet.

6 months later now he's reverted slightly to 20/20 with a teeny astigmatism they're willing to fix without charge. He's perfectly happy to live with it.

Cost: $3200 total, including exams, treatment, follow-up care, and a lifetime guarantee. They will retreat him when his eyes change and he needs more correction.

There are cheaper places of course, but the extra service and professionalism were worth it to us.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

(note the newbie...i normally don't post but hey...it's friday the 13th!) - i just got the surgery done almost 2 weeks ago and i love it... dr. joel in FL was my DR. and he was unbelievable because i was an awful patient... i have a true eye phobia... but now? I LOVE TO SEE!!!

~missy
---
Missy Nelson
**Learning Never Stops**

One of the things to consider is the recovery time needed to fully heal. Since you skydive the flap option is probablly not the best one based on your sport. I've talked with people who have had both lasik and PPK(?) and there is a difference in recovery and in noticable improvement. Some of my friends were noticing a marked improvment 24 hrs after the procedure. I would definately discuss with your dr. the fact that you sky dive and then weigh your pros and cons.

not an issue.... Dr Joel (skydiver) hs done procedures and people were jumping the next day... on 100 ways no less. Not the smartest thing to do IMO, but LASIK is really not a bad thing.

:D I've had it and love seeing without my glasses:20/200 to 20/25. I had the procedure done in the winter and had no problem jumping by spring time. It felt funny for about a month because it felt as though I had my contacts in, and I didn't rub my eyes. Now its just as though I've never worn glasses.

Its amazing walking in the doctors wearing glasses. One hour later walking out of the office with blurry vision, a 3 hour sleep as recommended by the doctor, and that night I was reading a menu at the bar without glasses, COOL!!!

I had PRK done about 1 1/2 years ago... best thing I ever did ... except for skydiving.

Like any surgery there are risks... but you skydive, so you are already taking risks :P

Research any doctors you are considering... and avoid the revolving door kind of places. Find the best doctor and THEN figure out how to pay for it.

Blues!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing"

I had RK back in 1995.....definitely the best $2900 I ever spent. Vision was 20/200 and 20/400 before, with major astigmatism.....now it's 20/30 and 20/35 - not perfect, but miles better than it was.

The only side-effect I've had is a VERY slight halo around headlights and streetlights at night.

I was highly concerned while thinking about having it done, too. Not to downplay the anxiety you probably feel, but the fact you'd only need one done is a lot less risky than having both.

Don

It's not like anyone is going to be licking your eyeball or anything.(heh)

Actually, a friend of mine had this done about a month ago and went from 20/400-ish to 20/25 vision.

The only real downside is that a large number of people will be somewhat night-blind for several months afterwards and will see "halo" effects during that time until the vision stabilizes fully.

You will be conscious for the procedure but it's less than 5 mins per eye and they will give you lots of Valium.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Well, now I'm wondering if my vision is even bad enough for Lasik. I just barely qualify for a restriction on my driver's license. I function most of the time without the glasses -- only wear them for work or driving. But my eyes get really tired and achey if I forget to wear them. Probably because the good eye is compensating for the crappy one...dunno....

Well, now I'm wondering if my vision is even bad enough for Lasik. I just barely qualify for a restriction on my driver's license. I function most of the time without the glasses -- only wear them for work or driving. But my eyes get really tired and achey if I forget to wear them. Probably because the good eye is compensating for the crappy one...dunno....

If nothing else, get an opinion from an optometrist or opthamalogist. Some of the Lasik centers will have free exams to see if it will help, but then again, I doubt the Lasik center would qualify as un-biased.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Hi, Jess...

O.K., here's my lasik story.

1971. Discovered I have a lazy right eye and deteriorating vision. Started glasses. Got horrible astigmatism. Got old enough to try hard lenses, and scratches both eyes repeatedly. Tried soft lenses. Would make my eyes ache after about 10 hours.

January 17, 1994. Earthquake. Can't evacuate because I can't find my glasses. Decided then and there that this wasn't about inconvenience, it was about safety. Swore I'd check into some kind of remdial surgery. Checked into RK, and because the vision was so bad and the astigmatism was worse, no go. Back to contacts. Got my black belt wearing glasses and contacts. I sewed an eyeglass case to my matress, so I'd always have my specs right at hand. Not happy, but managing.

Decided to check into Lasik when it became mainstream. Because of the astigmatism, I didn't think they could do it. had the evaluation, and they said, well, probably not gonna get away from glasses, but you should be able to see better.

Better was better than bad. I went into surgery, left eye -525, right eye -575. Got way wasted on the medication they gave me. Opened my eyes after the recovery in the waiting room, and I could see. I could see the clock. I could read the charts. I could see my Dr.'s grey hair. 20/20 in both eyes. Holy shit, it worked. I dropped my glasses off in the bin for poor people, and spent the ride home staring at things I had never seen...

That night, Henry went on his camping trip, and I went to bed. Late that night, the 7.0 earthquake hit in the 29 Palms area of the desert, and we shook really bad in La Crescenta. I woke to the house doing the shimmy, the dog trying to hide under my teeshirt, and the cats' disappearing around the corner. Laying there, waiting for it to get bad, I could see the clock, the light switch, the windows. I was fine. And it never got bad. But it really hit home that I had made the right choice - had it gotten bad, I would've been able to find shoes and clothes, and I would have been fine; I would've been able to see to get out safely.

The only side effect was for about 2 months, I had the halo effect at night. Made driving a little disconcerting, but that passed. Years later, I still test 20/20 in both eyes. And no, the surgery this year had nothing to do with Lasik. It also took me a long time to stop fumbling for my glasses when waking.

I don't remember what I paid for it, but it was by far the best decision I have made regarding my eyes ever. And I honestly don't think I would've tried jumping had I not had the procedure done. I wouldn't swim in contacts, so I can hardly imagine jumping with them.

I would suggest you go check it out. There are risks with everything you do, but they are minimal, and the results are without doubt worth it, many times over.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Hey girl, don't ya know I just had mine done less than 2 months ago?! I LOVE IT.

Here is what did it for me: I went to watch t.v. in bed (I always kept contact stuff and my glasses by the bed) and from across the room WITH my contacts in, I *couldn't* read the on-screen tv guide. Glasses helped a little. Problem? Dry eyes and a growing intolerance to contacts after wearing them since 6th grade. I only switched to soft contacts last February.

When I went to the LASIK office (Dr. Boothe) they did all the normal tests but more...I already knew the risks. I didn't care. I went on a Tuesday and had the operation on Friday. I left the office seeing 20/25. Before the operation, I was MORE than 20/400, which is the big E at the top. If you are off the chart, they say you have "finger counting" vision. Anyhow, I had a double astigmatism, so I will have to have an "enhancement" in about 3 months...so that I can see 20/20 or 20/15. Personally I am all for it (its free) but I am so happy this way I could do a dance. (Scary thought, I know.)

There was no pain. The worst part of it all was the aftercare, when you have to put in eye drops REALLY OFTEN and you can't touch your eyes in ANY way for a month. Harder than you think!! hehe

I am going on this coming Tuesday for my 2 month checkup...and feel great.

Weirdest part of all: Even after this time, I still feel like when I go to bed I should have to take out my contacts because I can still SEE! It only takes a second of course, for me to realize itis OK - but it is still amazing.

If you can afford it, DO IT!! You will not regret it.

luv ya Jess,
your freaksis

In reply to Kris,

I believe the LASIK office I was at would be at least mostly honest. The price of the surgery starts (there anyway) at $795 per eye, and this is for people whose vision isn't "that" bad. I don't know what "that bad" is - considering mine was the most expensive ($1795 per eye) but I think they would offer you a choice if your vision was not very bad. I would ask them straight faced, any questions I might have. I went to another consultation a couple of years ago, and it was also free. The consultation should always be free, and should the focus should be to see if you truly *are* a candidate.

Just my 2 cents.

Sis

I've had it done and have been absolutely thrilled with not having to wear glasses or contacts.

Cost is dependant upon doctor, but don't go with the cheapest or the most expensive. Go with the doctor that will let you ask patients if they'd go to them again. Get testimonials...check out their practice. It is your eyes after all.

As for what can go wrong...they will cover that in a video. My eye doctor showed me a video prior to discussing when/if I wanted the surgery covering everything that can go wrong which ranged from nothing to losing vision in the eye completely. Be willing to follow doctor's orders after the surgery - bed rest the day of surgery, don't rub eye, wear patch at night over eye, don't wear makeup around your eye, etc. - and you should do fine.

Good luck with your decision.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

i recently talked to my optomatrist about this. She said look, I won't recommend it, but it is your choice. I asked her why not. She said, true, most people do not end up blind, but in her experience about 15-20% of patients Still need glasses after, or a few years after.

Another good point she made was the fact that, what if you were in that small %age that did have serious problems. Was the very little inconvience of wearing glasses worth it?

Picture never being able to see agian. How burdensome is wearing glasses anyway. I have been wearing them since I was 3yrs old, and I know they can be a PITA on occasion, but it beats not see.
My $.02

Chris