thrillseek

Why Skydivers and DZ.commers are so freakin' cool...

Ok, so here's the story:
I was at Eloy the other day sitting around one of the "bonfires" when Lisa (whom i had never met), was saying that her ride to the airport had bailed on her, and she was in jeopardy of missing her flight. I think i was the only sober one there aside from Lisa, so I said that if i had a car, I would have taken her to the airport (45 min away--Keep in mind that for all intents and purposes, this is a complete stranger, someone i have never seen in person). Well, Wingnut, (whom i had also never met -- i.e. complete stranger) says that i can take his car so that Lisa didn't miss her flight.

I always knew we were a cool bunch, but it never really sank in till i was on my way back from the airport basically lost and driving someone's car that didn't know me until 2 hours ago. Wow.

Wingnut, you rock man. And Lisa, I'm glad you got to the airport on time. And to the guy who was supposed to take her to the airport and couldn't be bothered, weak...totally weak performance.
Blue skies,
A.T.

Good thing you didn't get pulled over -- that woulda been difficult to explain. That reminds me of a story a visiting skydiver told me at my old DZ... went something like this:

We'll call visiting skydiver "joe" and the 2 local skydivers "jim" and "james". Jim and James, who really didn't know Joe that well decided they wanted to go do a base jump off a building near the DZ.. they needed a "getaway driver" so they asked joe to do the deed, he agreed so they all piled in jim's truck (joe driving) and went off to the hotel. Jim and James went to the roof and joe sat in the truck. Well just their luck it turns out the hotel was next to a bank that had been knocked off a few days earlier, so the police presence was a little higher than normal. So there joe is - sitting in a empty parking lot next to a bank that had been knocked off, with no shirt on in a truck that isn't his (and for that matter he didn't even know the name of the guy who owned the truck!). So a cop drives up and starts questioning him. "cop: so what are you doing out here?" "joe: oh just waiting on some people" "cop: let me see your license" "joe: i don't have it with me officer" "cop: is this your truck?" "joe: uh no it isn't" "cop: well who's is it?" "joe: i really don't know officer" "cop: so you're telling me you're sitting in this empty parking lot next to a bank that has been robbed without any id and in someone else's truck whom you don't even know?" "joe: yeah that's about right" "cop: get out of the truck and put your hands on the hood" so of course by this time the guys on the roof saw the cop and they aren't gonna jump, joe finally broke down and told the cop what was up... the cop was like "so you're telling me there are 2 people on the roof that were gonna jump if I didn't drive up??" "joe: yep." "cop: well go ahead and tell them to jump, I wanna see this!" "joe: i don't have any way to.." "cop: so you mean to tell me you don't have any walkie talkies or anything??? don't you think it would kinda be smart to use something like that?" "joe: yeah i guess so.. " anyway they came down from the roof (via the stairs or elevator) and the cop let them go.. but boy it was a good story..

(The names have been changed, and the details are a little fuzzy but that is the jist of it.. quite funny hearing the guy tell it!)

Dude, you tell the best stories!!! At first I thought you were full of shit until you told the dickhead story... that convinced me you were really just a nut! :D We are pretty cool, huh?!

Anyway, I don't know the whole story, and I'm sure Lisa will correct me, but PDS (Sky) was Lisa's ride and he was there at 9 but she was already a nervous wreck by then. Can't say I blame her... I'm very close to someone that has a promptness issue himself >:( and would probably have been just as nervous. [:/] Anyway, felt I should defend Sky... he said he was there at the Bent Prop at the designated pick up time and I don't have any reason not to believe him. He is a mess though! :S (Love ya Sky!) :P

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

I think i was the only sober one there aside from Lisa

i have to ask,,, why ?
i can see why she was (not a good idea to show up drunk at an airport these days...)
but what's your excuse? :ph34r:

o
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

I have to agree and I've been wondering how to wxpress that DZ.com folk are gernerally of above average intelligence or at least seeking the knowledge.
My past and the family I come from is a big deal to most people that I meet and I LOVE the fact that:
DZ.com folk are loaded with the zest for living and are full of World culture and AWSOME life experiences:)I live in an area that (excluding my DZ"Maytown") people do NOT have too much excitement in their life outside of watching T.V. >Lancaster/Amish Country:P
I have yet to "meet"/chat with someone here that I havn't liked or at least understood there veiw.:)AMEN......
-Grant

Anyway, I don't know the whole story, and I'm sure Lisa will correct me, but PDS (Sky) was Lisa's ride and he was there at 9 but she was already a nervous wreck by then.

Tis true. PDS was there right at 9:00 to take her to the airport. I gotta defend Sky cause he was my ride to the airport at 6:00am on the 3rd and he was there at exactly 6:00am.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Yeah, in April 2001 Wingnut drove all the way from Germany. Picked us up at the airport (except I missed my flight in London so they had to wait an extra 2 hours for me) and then drove us all to Texel. And what did he get as thanks? Toothpaste up the nose... :D

"Up my noooooooooose...."

Obviously he got to tell you the duck joke, too :D

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

So true, so true.

I really was freaking out because I was supposed to leave by 8:30 and here it was getting closer and closer to 9 and I could imagine my not making it on time especially when Sky left and said he would be back in an hour which would have made it about 8 or a little after.

I sincerely thank you Wingie for the use of the car and to AT for driving me....God knows I can't drive a stick. (Go ahead and blast me but I can't drink, talk on the phone , fix the radio and change gears at the same time!) I was very lucky you took me when you did as I had a hell of a time getting through security with both rigs. She passed one through then freaked over the second one....go figure. The old lady came over on the Mayflower and had no clue what she was looking at. The weight belt really threw them all. I thought they were going to cut open the weight pouches for awhile. The pro track got it's share of looks also. I did get a comp drink from the flight attendant as she could tell I was almost in tears by the time I finally managed to get on the plane.

Anyway, you are correct we do have a great group of sweeties and I love you all. Sky, I'm sure you had important stuff you were doing, but I really felt let down after loaning you my main all week.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

God knows I can't drive a stick. (Go ahead and blast me but I can't drink, talk on the phone , fix the radio and change gears at the same time!)

He he he....I CAN! I've only owned two cars, both stick, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to own anything else. I love grabbing that sucker and moving it all around as I speed up, faster, faster, faster;)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Ok, so here's the story:
I was at Eloy the other day sitting around one of the "bonfires" when Lisa (whom i had never met), was saying that her ride to the airport had bailed on her, and she was in jeopardy of missing her flight. I think i was the only sober one there aside from Lisa, so I said that if i had a car, I would have taken her to the airport (45 min away--Keep in mind that for all intents and purposes, this is a complete stranger, someone i have never seen in person). Well, Wingnut, (whom i had also never met -- i.e. complete stranger) says that i can take his car so that Lisa didn't miss her flight.

I always knew we were a cool bunch, but it never really sank in till i was on my way back from the airport basically lost and driving someone's car that didn't know me until 2 hours ago. Wow.

Wingnut, you rock man. And Lisa, I'm glad you got to the airport on time. And to the guy who was supposed to take her to the airport and couldn't be bothered, weak...totally weak performance.
Blue skies,
A.T.

doing damage control for yourself really sucks, but as this has been brought public (no good taste in my opinion), here goes.

i promised mouth a ride to the airport. i said we would leave between 8:30 and 9:00 pm. having been a cab driver in phoenix for 5 years and taking countless flights from sky harbour i know 2 hours is more than enough time to make an 11pm flight. no traffic and no one in the airport. i was in the parking lot at 9pm hollerin for my passenger and she was there also with very unkind words, some of which really did not make sense, like 'you promised to be here'. well, since mouth was saying those words to me, i would have to guess that i was there. in any case, over the next couple days as i had to stick up for myself after the quite capable character assasination, i was a little mad at mouth for being mad at me, but it is ok now. i am just sad that i didnt get to do something nice for her.

bottom line is that i did not bail on anyone and anything i do is far from weak. i aint mad at thrillseek. he doesnt know me. but let me ask you this rhetorical question: after you left me standing in the parking lot scratching my head, did you find 2 hours enough to get to the airport and get mouth through nonexistent airport lines?

mouth, stop being mad at me, it's not necessary.

luv all yall, you was just what the doctor ordered.
namaste, motherfucker.

both stick, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to own anything else. I love grabbing that sucker and moving it all around as I speed up, faster, faster, faster

OOOH, YEAH BABY...FASTER...FASTER!!....oh wait what kind of stick were you talking about?:$
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

The intent of my post wasn't to trash anyone's reputation, and as far as I was concerned, whatever ride situation that went wrong was totally between you and Lisa.

My point was merely that we are a cool group of individuals that do things such as letting one another use our cars and etc. even though we have never actually "met" one another before.

As far as the security lines at the airport, I cannot say, however, there were tons of people in front of the airport.....probably something to do with the busy holiday travel season. I think that's why people want to show up very early. Just my estimation. A.T.

I have sky's back on this one. While he may come across as a complete flake and free spirit (both of which may apply to both of us actually), he was right there at exactly the time he said he would be.

I love both Sky and Lisa, so it's all goody in the hoody. Pack it up kids, this story's over.

Chuckie

Wasn't there, but independent data indicates that 1 hr. 45 minutes was enough time to drive to Phoenix, buy gas, return rental car, take shuttle from rental car place, stand in line, and walk onto the airplane with about 15 minutes to spare. I felt a little silly cutting it that close, but I did have to return the rental car.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

professional travellers .02

pay for the gas when you rent the car. the prices are usually close enough to really not matter and the lack of hassle on exit is well worth any difference.

I have sky's back on this one. While he may come across as a complete flake and free spirit (both of which may apply to both of us actually), he was right there at exactly the time he said he would be.

I love both Sky and Lisa, so it's all goody in the hoody. Pack it up kids, this story's over.

Chuckie

flake?!?!? you talking to me?! are you talkin to me?!?! [looking around, doing best 'taxi driver' impression] you must be talking to me! fuckyouverymuch! love you too, munkey. meeting real people and i mean real people was the most beautiful thing that could have happened for me. i might not be alone in this.

i just ended my boogie run and have to go back to the real world and heal my bank account, but i will be back and it might be at a drop zone near you, so watch out.

peace out, yall. specially you, lisa. i still owe you one.

i am a little drunk and still want to write, but the fact that i know i am a little drunk and still want to write tells me it is time to stop writing and drink some more.
namaste, motherfucker.

inexpensive fast reliable MANIFEST MANAGER

this file could not be found by server ERROR:P

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

I think its because of what we share? The Sky, air, what we face, what we fear.

There are people within who will abuse this, but we spot them fast and steer clear, but we've all been in Lisa's, Wingnut's and your position before, know how that feels, and respond. There is love. Life is good.

t
It's the year of the Pig.