NeonLights

Damn you cypres

Cypres1 wont give you a code. Cypres2 will. You do not have to do the service within that time, thats only the time at which the unit stays airworthy. In other words you can do the service 4+ months after the date, and it will be fine, just illegal to jumpuntil the service is complete.

My cypres is coming up on its 4 year conveniently when i am coming up on time off for the holidays. Its supposed to be + or - 3 months, but will it give me an error code when its time or is it at my discretion?

Are you sure it is a cypres I? The cypres II was first introduced in May of 2003, so it would seem you have a +/- 6 month window to do the maintenance.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I dunno why you chose the subject line as maintenance can be planned in advance within a 13-months window, provided you have a CYPRES2.

If you have a CYPRES2 you can easily check after start-up when the next maintenance is due, just press the red button right after the countdown several times: first press = first number is number of jumps made so far, 2nd is serial number, 3rd shows when maint. is due.

No it will not give you an error code. Neither will a CYPRES1. But as already mentioned it's illegal to jump with an AAD that is over its scheduled maint. period.

All information to be found here or here if you still have one of the last C1's.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

But as already mentioned it's illegal to jump with an AAD that is over its scheduled maint. period.

Can't you just leave it turned off?

No.

If an AAD is installed it needs to be maintained as required by its manufacturer.

Turning it off is not enough because its presence could still affect reserve operation.

For instance, hypothetically speaking the batteries of an AAD left past its due date could leak and lead to a reserve failure.

If it has timed out and is passed the allowed window for service (ex - Cypres maintenance is at 4 year intervals from date of manufacture although a six month delay is allowed. You can also have it serviced six months before the 4 year interval) it needs to come out before the rig is jumped again.

I was under the impression that there was a 6 month window before and after the 4 year date to take care of the maintenance. Following that line, could someone legally jump the rig for 4 years and 5 months after the date of manufacture?

No it will not give you an error code. Neither will a CYPRES1. But as already mentioned it's illegal to jump with an AAD that is over its scheduled maint. period.

Same position last year.
Remove it,send it off and jump without it at least thats what i did.

So choosing a Cypres left you unprotected for a while. That's not a good advert for the unit.

Maybe they should have loan units to continue protecting their customers who jump during the mandatory service periods.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Airtec can't force you to RTFM.

All they can do is give you 12 months window to have the check done. The problem is that people are trying to squeeze the maximum of their repack cycle.

It's all about priorities.
"Do you want the check now ( the winter ) or you wanna wait for the next repack"...... "Oh...I really want to jump this weekend"...."No problem man. I'm just saying that the chance that you gonna be jumping this weekend is really small and it's better if you have the check done now .... "just pack it now"....."OK man"....

4 months later ( just after the beginning of the season) ...."Shit man, I had to chop...can you pack it for me for tomorrow"..."sure, no problem, but your CYPRES must go for maintenance NOW"...."shit, can we do something about it?!" ...Sure, I can pack it without or you can hire one until yours is back"......DAMN you CYPRES thread follows....

As I said...It's all about priorities!!! :)

"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

So choosing a Cypres left you unprotected for a while. That's not a good advert for the unit.

What is a good advert for the unit is that every few years it gets subjected to an exceptionally thorough set of tests of the limits of its performance including the ability to withstand environmental extremes.

Maybe they should have loan units to continue protecting their customers who jump during the mandatory service periods.

They do:

http://www.cypres-usa.com/dealerinfo_rent_a_cypres_english.pdf
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I was under the impression that there was a 6 month window before and after the 4 year date to take care of the maintenance. Following that line, could someone legally jump the rig for 4 years and 5 months after the date of manufacture?

Cypres1 gives +/- 3 months
Cypres2 gives +/- 6 months

so yes, its legal to jump for 4 years and a day short of 3 or 6 months depending on the model

Thanks - I did not know about that.

Still a bit out of order IMO to charge for the rental to cover the fact that they require you to be without the unit they sold you.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Still a bit out of order IMO to charge for the rental to cover the fact that they require you to be without the unit they sold you.

Ever hear of a car service place providing free rentals when your car needs regular maintenance ?

I haven't either...
(please don't bring up posh luxtury brands. If Airtec sold the Cypres units for $5K I am certain they would provide an overnighted loaner unit with a free repack)

Same position last year.

It beats having units with no inspection program to discover latent failures before they become issues and where the manufacturers are only looking at the small number of units behaving badly enough for their users to notice and send them back.

Same position last year.

It beats having units with no inspection program to discover latent failures before they become issues and where the manufacturers are only looking at the small number of units behaving badly enough for their users to notice and send them back.

Quite right!

Also, the other mfgs say their units are good for a lifetime of 20 years, but their warranty is only 1 year! They don't seem to have much faith in their product. The cypres warranty is for the lifetime of the unit.

They claim their start up self test confirms all of the "electronic functions on which it needs to operate." That is not true. A self test cannot confirm the sensor accuracy or precision, and cannot confirm the unit works when subject to vibration or temperature extremes.

I wish there were better competition to the cypres, but even with such a clear target to surpass, they put their priorities on the wrong things and failed.

Then dont buy a Cypres,
Educate your arse BEFORE you purchase life saving equipment, weigh up the pros and cons, and buy accordingly.
Instead of pissing and moaning on an interweb forum like a 12yo child.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Then dont buy a Cypres,

I didn't, fucknutz.

I bought a Vigil2 and haven't had a single problem or a single day without it.

~ CanuckInUSA

Then dont buy a Cypres,

I didn't, fucknutz.

I bought a Vigil2 and haven't had a single problem or a single day without it.

YET;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

@ DocPop:

[warning] Personal attacks are prohibited in the forums. [/warning]

Like this you mean?

Instead of pissing and moaning on an interweb forum like a 12yo child.

~ CanuckInUSA