SkydiveMonkey

LINUX SUCKS !!!

[rant] Not only dit it fail to dual boot with windows, it also completly changed my drive assignments so that now my D drive is my C drive, and my C drive is my F drive. Even after formats and reinstalls of windows. :S>:(>:(B| Great software if you want to screw up your system though >:(

It's all about practice, man. I have my box set up for triple boot just fine. Look into software called GRUB.

Also, some distributions are better about being installed in a dual boot situation. Other random advice: Install Windows first, on the first logical partition. It's the easiest way (although the power of grub makes just about anything possible).

Linux is definitely not like windows. Why are you installing it? Do you need it for work/study? Are you willing to spend time to learn it? And no, you have to actually learn it, you can't poke around like windows and figure everything out.

If not, just go with windows, why bother?

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

What Chivo said;)

Seriously, if you only ever used windows, Linux will come as a bit of a shock at first. My honest recomendation is to get a book. You really can't poke around and get everything to work, but at the end of the day it is ten times the OS that windows is.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Seriously, if you only ever used windows, Linux will come as a bit of a shock at first. My honest recomendation is to get a book. You really can't poke around and get everything to work, but at the end of the day it is ten times the OS that windows is.

The new Linux slogan "Just like MS-DOS, but without the features."
The best Linux user quote "No, it's way different. You type CD forward-slash to change directories, not like MS-DOS backward-slash. It's totally different."
The Geek-Alert statement "I just luvvv VI" :D

The best experience for you, will be to actually make it work. Don't give up.

Amen to that. That's how I learned it 7 or 8 years ago. For the record, 7 or 8 years ago it wasn't quite as refined as it is today, man pages sucked, the FM was virtually non-existent, etc.. etc...

If you're not willing to stick with it and figure it out there's always Windows.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

[rant] Not only dit it fail to dual boot with windows, it also completly changed my drive assignments so that now my D drive is my C drive, and my C drive is my F drive. Even after formats and reinstalls of windows. :S>:(>:(B| Great software if you want to screw up your system though >:(

Fortunately, you included that 'bad' word in your post...Now don't get offended...it's 'windows'...Linux is great otherwise...
All kidding aside, dual/tri boots are difficult to set up sometimes...
-----
~~~Michael

Ummmmm.... you *can* re-assign drive letters with windows' drive manager utility.

Linux didn't screw up. It did exactly what it was told to do. Reminds me of a little IT poem...

"Oh those damn computers. How I wish that they would sell 'em. They never do what I want 'em to, only what I tell 'em!"

:D

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

You really can't poke around and get everything to work...

I disagree. The man pages are there, Poking around the man pages is actually an excellent way to learn, albeit one with a pretty steep learning curve. Playing with a book *and* the man pages is probably a great combination.
When I first started playing with Linux, it was long enough ago that no one had written any books about it yet. :) I survived.

but at the end of the day it is ten times the OS that windows is.

Absolutely. I've got a bunch of flavors of unix running on various pieces of hardware here, and I'm glad to say I cut away from Windows completely several years ago and haven't regretted it one bit.
-andrew

Linux is not for most people. If you like things easy, get a Mac. If you want sympathy, get a PC, 'cause everyone else will relate to your computer woes. If you like to tinker, get Linux - you will be doing a lot of it.

Linux is my OS of choice, but I almost always run it on remote servers. I use M$ 90% of the time because my job requires it.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I disagree. The man pages are there, Poking around the man pages is actually an excellent way to learn, albeit one with a pretty steep learning curve. Playing with a book *and* the man pages is probably a great combination.

When I first started playing with Linux, it was long enough ago that no one had written any books about it yet. :) I survived.

It all depends on how much patience and time you have. Assuming he's in uni/college CS and is using Linux for full-blown networking, he's gonna need to figure a lot of things out quickly. Some people can/want, some can't/don't want to. Easiest would be a book. Hence my recommendation.

Besides, can you imagine a newbie that screwed up his filesystem and now has to "poke around" to figure out whats wrong, with his filesystem no less, without having even smelt Linux before? Ouch. Better yet, imagine what happens if one of his mounted filesystems spontaneously combusts because of his tinkering (remote, but possible).

If anyone feels adventurous, apropos + man B|

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo

You forgot one thing. If you like to play games...;)

+ducks under the flying debris+

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo

It also completly changed my drive assignments so that now my D drive is my C drive, and my C drive is my F drive

Ehm, no, Linux did not do that. The partitioning tool you used to make room for it did!
Sorry. :$
/ Martin