IronMike

What Airplane would you pick?

Dude!!! You didn't list the OV-10 Bronco. By far the WHACKIEST jump I ever did. However, I don't think you can beat a C-130. Climbs FAF....and the Tailgate is large......Maybe a C-17....it is sweet!!!

How on earth did you manage that without being chopped up, and where did you do it?
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Since we are including impractical things like the space shuttle and the concorde on the list, I'll have to toss in another few.

I want to jump from the something historical. The Spruce Goose! I don't care about the rate of climb, or if the thing only made one flight. It was way cool!

Or how about the Wright Flyer? The U2 spyplane?

U-2 would be my choice, only because my first job involved acquiring new stuff for it...it is one kick-ass platform!

But I chose the Grumman Albatyross, simply because float planes are way cool, and Jimmy Buffett has one!

"...not havanas or bananas or daquiris but that American creation on which I feed!"
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I want to jump from the something historical. The Spruce Goose! I don't care about the rate of climb, or if the thing only made one flight. It was way cool!---

We saw that awesome plywood skinned, aircraft,,, many years ago during a visit to Long Beach..:) Does anyone know if the structural frame of the plane is also wood???? Or is it metal/aluminum framed??? ....anyway
I liked hearing how the engines ( I think there are EIGHT of them) were designed so that a mechanic could walk down the inside of the wing to monitor the oil level,,from behind the engines, and add more if needed,,,[:/]
while the plane was in Flight !!!!!:o
You could probably fit 20 jumpers in the floor space of the cockpit........ As for rate of climb,,, it won't matter... since we all know,,, the plane never flew any higher than about 50 feet off the water... :(
But if there is ever a manifest started for THAT skydive,,, please get a hold of me...:)

Does anyone know if the structural frame of the plane is also wood???? Or is it metal/aluminum framed???

The whole dang thing is spruce. It was a big waste of money. It never had a market, it was just something Howard wanted to do.

My favorite thing Hughes ever did was the Glomar Explorer. I suggest everyone read Blind Mans Bluff. Facinating read and true!

Mike

I suggest everyone read Blind Mans Bluff. Facinating read and true!

Ditto. Very good book, even if it is about a bunch of squids. ;)

Hooah! Go Army! :)

It was a big waste of money. It never had a market, it was just something Howard wanted to do.

True. But then again, if you were that rich, wouldn't you do some whacky stuff, just because you wanted to? I sure would! B|

When I worked for Hughes Tool Company in the 70's we were being audited by the IRS. The agent wanted to review the corporate aircraft and logs to make sure all flights were for legit corporate business. I toook him out to the airport and he was looking at the aircraft and said "What's that back in the corner?" I had never noticed that back in the dark behind boxes and stuff was an olive drab PBY. The pilots told us the story of how Howard Hughes had crashed the PBY in Lake Jackson in the 30's or 40's and instructed the mechanics to put the plane back together because it was his favorite and he would be back later to fly it again. They rebuilt the plane, got it recertified to fly and waited. The only time it flew after that was to keep it certified and Mr Hughes never returned. I understand the plane was later donated to the same museum where the Spruce Goose is located.

The PBY was an interesting plane. It had a canvas skin and fairly large radial engines.

Blue skies,

Jim

World War 2 vintage DeHavilland Mosquito bomber. The prettiest airplane ever flown.
My great-uncle Earl Findlay was an aero-engine mechanic on Mosquito fighters flown by 410 Squadron.
With two Merlins engines it was one of the fastest propeller-driven airplanes ever built and would climb like a homesick angel.
Easy to spot through the bomb-aimer's window in the nose, When we arrive over the spot, just open the doors and "bombs away!"
To bad there is only one airworthy Mosquito on the planet.Oh well! It is fun to dream.

I didn't see my favorite airplane of all time... the WWII-era Corsair.

Uh, Lisa? From my post just ahead of yours:

F4F-U.

Those gullwings, the sound of those 18 cylinders...

Guess we do think alike.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

"F4F-U.

Those gullwings, the sound of those 18 cylinders..."

that would be F4U- something, depending on version..

Yeah, the dang digital dyslexia strikes me once again...actually the -F model is my favorite, esp. with the radome.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Hi there,

From an emotional standpoint, definitely the De-Havilland 100 Mosquito. (Another 100 Group descendant) Fast and beautiful (but Rob, it didn't climb particularly fast - something to do with the radiators being in the wing roots). Taking the emotional thing to it's extreme, I'd like the NF MkVIII with Mk.10 AI (SCR 720)and Monica (there'd still be space in the bomb bay for a long range tank for those tedious trips across the pond).

On a more practical note (to the best of my knowledge there's not a single D-H 100 Mosquito in flying condition >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(), my first thought is for an amphibian. The PBY-5A springs to mind, but you NEED someone willing to spend the flight in the wing support to do the flight engineer thing (all the pilot has is throttles). Plus, it's kind of a low altitude plane (once saw one on Lake Victoria and it could barely take off because of the altitiude (5,000'MSL).

Thinking... Thinking... OK. The DHC-2 (or DHC-2T) Beaver (as an amphibian). Admittedly not the fastest, quickest climber, biggest payload, but it fits in with my desired lifestyle moving between Arizona and Montana for the summer (less heat and more opportunities to shoot at right-wing survivalist extremists:D). And it'll land and take off almost anywhere. A lot of planes have been made as a replacement for the DHC-2 (like the DHC-3, DHC-6, PC-6, C-208), but strangely the DHC-2 holds it's price (maybe a case of getting it right first time).

Mike D10270.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

I have to agree that all other factors excluded, I'd love the X, (which by the way lists for 19.2 mil) and with all those creature comforts, what the heck, nevermind, Gimme the Gulfstream V w/ the EVS setup, and a stocked bar... But then I get to thinking ... They're like flying supercharged school busses!!!! What I really want is something I can get around in and park in the city, Like the Socato 700 TBM... w/the dual Garmins and B/K 850 display!!! (I'm getting wood!!!)

Plus, Its big enough to camp-out in too!!!
--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!