CanuckInUSA

How tall is too tall for a Tandem jump

I've been telling a volleyball buddy of mine about some of my skydiving adventures and it seems that I've convinced to give it a try and go do a tandem to see if he likes it (he may be interested in AFF). But here's the problem. He's under the tandem weight limits (he weighs in about 200 lbs) but he's a tall mother 'ucker (at least 6'5" if not taller). Is he too tall? Is there even a height limit for tandems?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

That's not to tall. It just takes a little more training for the exit and landing. I have taken really tall people before and I look like a back pack on them. My feet dont reach the ground when we land all hooked up...:P

Thanks for the reply. I've thought that as long as my friends legs were stretched forward on the landing then he and the TM would be fine. Also, I wonder if he told the TM that we was considering doing the AFF training if that would help with the tandem jump (in otherwords he's not just out for a joy ride he's trying to determine if the sport is for him).

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

When people are using your head for a BASE jump ?;)

That's about right...or when you have to re-set his altimiter when he stands up...

I'm 6'4" an ex-tamdem instructor, and I've taken someone as tall as 6'9"...'course he was sooo skinny he would have to run around in the shower to get wet...

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Sure, I have jumped with hundreds of tandem students who are taller than me, and I am only six feet all.
Y0our tall friend just has to agree to help his instructor on this skydive (kicking his instructor in the ass, that sort of thing.)
Usually the big guys listen much better and are much more helpful/cooperative.
Hint take your tall buddy to a DZ that has a large door, like a Caravan or Twin Otter and call ahead to ensure that their instructors are experienced with large students.

As long as they don't jump UP when they exit, its generally not a problem. I have tried having them cross their ankles and putting their feet way back while in the door. I have to bear their weight, but it prevents them from impailing me on the top of the door.

I am 5'10" and the tallest guy I've taken was 6'7". I looked more ridiculous than usual on the video.:P

I've been telling a volleyball buddy of mine about some of my skydiving adventures and it seems that I've convinced to give it a try and go do a tandem to see if he likes it (he may be interested in AFF). But here's the problem. He's under the tandem weight limits (he weighs in about 200 lbs) but he's a tall mother 'ucker (at least 6'5" if not taller). Is he too tall? Is there even a height limit for tandems?

Biggest guy I've taken was 6'8, and well over 200 lbs. No problem. I had 2 rules for him, 1) arch or were gonna die ;) and 2) don't jump up and start celebrating until AFTER I get you unhooked :S

The jump went fine.

Hook

you could post in safety and training and get much better responses from TI's. I'm don't have my tandem rating, but I've known several guys taller than that to do tandems. Also, if he is under 200 lbs, he's probably thin for a guy and hopefully flexible. The most important thing i think would be to get his legs up on landing... call the local dz and ask them.

peace
http://www.exitshot.com

With a large cargo door or Otter door all you need to do is a sitting exit. Quite easy actually. When I worked at Monterey I used sitting exits in their Otter quite regularly. With no seats and just padding on the floor. Hook up your student in the sitting position and just scoot on your butt to the door. When you get there have then dangle their legs out the door and wrap them down under the plane, cross your arms, ready set go , present chest to prop, and pitch the drougue!! It's all goodB|

I'd think any reasonably experienced TI could take him without a problem. I'm 5'8"; tallest person I took was 6'2". Other than a pretty ridiculous looking body position in freefall, no problems.

I would emphasize that he will need to be very diligent about keeping his legs up high on landing. Oh yeah, also tell him that it won't work at all if he isn't smiling. :ph34r:

I'm 6'4" and had two tandems prior to current enrollment in AFF. For my first, the TM was quite a bit shorter and had me sit on the edge of the Otter's exit door while he "pushed" us out - not a problem. My second TM was a bit taller than the first TM but still shorter than I but at the exit door he had me bending a the knees pretty low and he just "rocked" us out without any problem. I think TM's are very flexible and accomodating when height is a "factor".

My favorite Tandem Master, Connie, is like 5'4". She takes guys taller than 6'2" all the time.

It is seriously funny when she clips on to them and has them stand up. She looks like a grown-up in an infant carrier.:ph34r:

We're out of a KingAir, though, so they have to crouch way down anyhow to get out of the door.

Steve,

I took a 6'5" buddy to Longmont for a tandem and Pintamo said it was no problem. Jeremy ended up doing the tandem with him, but Pintamo will as well. They are more concerned about the weight limit - they will just need to pair him with someone taller. PM me if you want Pintamo's email address.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

When people are using your head for a BASE jump ?

LMFAO!

Um....I'm too scared to talk about skydiving, for fear of getting blame for starting the next world war!! after my last posting:D
So....ask him!

Don't bother me, I'm living happily ever after