PhillyKev

North Korean jet fighters intercepted a U.S. reconnaissance plane in international airspace

This shit happend all the time. It happens on a daily basis. Every day someone dies in the DMZ. It was politically convenient to publicize this event and so we got to know about it. No big deal.
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

This shit happend all the time. It happens on a daily basis. Every day someone dies in the DMZ

I wouldn't quite go that far, but they are getting pretty ballsy. IMO N. Korea is like a little kid that's crying for attention, that seems to be their history over the past several decades.

Oops, I'm getting politcal - I better go get some beer and get back to mindless PW'ing :o

That be the case they would be deliberately starting a war IMO. I can't imagine the US allowing them to shoot down an unarmed aircraft in international airspace. I assume they realize this so were simply messing with the plane.

HUM, hey CM and Gimp. I wonder if they saw Top Gun and just wanted to kept up interntional relations.:S:P

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

IMO N. Korea is like a little kid that's crying for attention, that seems to be their history over the past several decades.

I've heard rumors that North Korea is in cohoots (legal term) with Iraq. Their idea is to pull the US into a two front war. The closer we get to war with Iraq the more N Korea is going to try to pull our attention their way. In this way they can ultimately defeat the US. If you'll remember the armed forces had the mission of being able to win a two front war during the 1990s. What do you think that mission was based on.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

Their idea is to pull the US into a two front war. The closer we get to war with Iraq the more N Korea is going to try to pull our attention their way. In this way they can ultimately defeat the US.

Thats what scares me. If that's true it's like they don't really want to win - they just want to go down and take as much of the US as they can with them. I'd think DPRK is desperate enough, and Saddam crazy enough, to do just that [:/]

Intercepting recon planes off the coast is VERY normal. When I was in Korea in 98 I watched two IL-28's (Prop recon planes) fly down out of Russia on the "Air Picture" screen. One turned back not long after crossing south of the 38th parallel. The other kept going and flew around taking a peek at the carrier battle group that was on manuevers. The South scrambled four F-4's to shadow them. They spent a couple hours flying around in circles and then left. That stuff takes place just about every time a major exercise is going on. Especially with the tensions that are present now. As far as people getting killed.....that only happens once every 6 months to a year or so. A Special purpose sub got caught in a fishing net near the beach and they fired their first "Intercontinental" missle while I was there. I found out about BOTH of those incidents from CNN. 99.9% of everything that goes on there is just posturing and intimidation. No big deal. The North is just trying to bargain for a better deal.

EVERY time we get involved in ANY major conflict NK has postured. They have been doing that since the armistice.
Show

I heard that rumor a good while ago.;) NK hasn't been very successful so far.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

I thought they accidentally beached it?

Not sure it was really a "fishing" net but that's how I remember the story. May have been an anti-sub obstacle. After being stuck there for a few hours the Special ops commander on board killed the entire crew. Then shot himself. However, the number of people on board was less than what they thought it should have been so they sent a South Korean Army BN to scour the hillsides for about a week. Had this entire coastal town on lock down. Never found anyone so they eventually gave up.

NK hasn't been very successful so far.

Since I have nothing better to do I'll waste some bandwidth on a good "Korea" story. It was coming near the end of "Exercise season." October-March normally. I had started out the season working for 1/72 Armor. Did a couple exercises with them. Switched to 1/9 Mech JUST in time to do some stuff with them. Apparently I had pissed someone off because then I got "Volunteered" to go with the 2 ID pogues for THEIR exercise. I was starting to feel like an Army guy. Anyway.....I have to drive down to another post about 13 miles away to roll out with these guys. I drive down and the word is that I'll get a wake up at 0300 and we roll out the gate at 0430. It was about 11 PM when I finally got to sleep. I hear the door to the bar (Yes...I had to sleep on the couch in their bar) open. I struggle to focus my eyes on my watch....WTF.....it's 0445. Long story short.....this Division command post hadn't been out to the field in something like 5 years. When the NK spies saw everything getting packed up I guess it made the leadership VERY nervous. So nervous that diplomats were called and embassy phone calls exchanged. SO NERVOUS that the Army was ordered to wait until AFTER sun up before they rolled out the gate. I thought it was pretty cool to be part of making the enemy blink. I guess we had them shaking in their boots. B| OK...that's all for story time. Where's the boobies????

China nearly did just that; they took down one of our planes and then weaseled out of responsibility for it. The North Koreans were watching when that happened.

I still think N. Korea has a different motive. Like I said before - it's like a little kid screaming for attention. They've done similar things before, but it seemed to be more of a pride thing - they needed help but weren't going to just ask for it. This time is different - they're on their last leg. Keep in mind the gov't structure of N. Korea. Kim Jung Il tried and failed, and he's backed into a corner. The U.S. isn't against a governmental body, it's against a leader with a human personality.