christopherm

The War Has Begun

Best wishes to our (and our allies') service men and women.

CNN reporting that the strike was a cruise missle strike upon a "Target of Opportunity".

To take this on a little tangent, it is being reported that the cruise missle attack was a "decapitation" attempt. There is little hope that it achieved its goal, but what I must now ask is, "What if?"

What if we got him? How might that guide the conflict and the rebuilding of the powerbase in Iraq? Chances are remote (which is an overstatement in itself), but what if???
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

>That is totally different than a governeing body. Furthermore, the is a
> difference between acting without approval and acting directly against
>a UN resolution.

We purposely manipulated the UN (i.e. withdrew the resolution) so as to avoid a no vote. There was effectively a no vote; we said as much. That's playing a game, the same sort of game we claim to not tolerate from other countries.

We should decide if we want to support the UN or not, and then act that way. As it is, we seem to support the UN only when they do exactly as we wish. We use our veto with impunity then vilify other countries when they even threaten to use theirs. We want war criminals prosecuted but refuse to sign a treaty to support their prosecution.

So either in our out. Sick of the UN? Stop with all the "but he's disobeying the UN! We must attack!" nonsense. Iraq has no more obligation than we do in that case. Want to support the UN? Accept its authority to broker peace, even when you disagree with some of its decisions.

I understand that you're all exited now with all the testosterone in the air but ask around if this is a battle you'd like to fight. :)

With who? You? That's a joke right...???!!! :P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Agreed, been sick of the UN for years. We are attacking him because of what we know. I could care less what the UN knows. Is that PC? No. COuld we openly admit that? No. Has it saved the world from tyrants before? Yes, yes, and yes. We are not exactly a small fish.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

Point taken. I am calling it quits on this forum for tonight. Yall have fun. The war has begun.

Glad to be an American
Glad to have voted for Bush
Glad to have all the damn good people that we know and love serving us here and abroad at this moment, they are doing a noble job by the act of serving.

Out of curiousity...who thinks that an effort to eliminate in the very first strike of the war was peaceful accomplishing the greatest good?
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

It would have to be a good thing.
As Iraq is ruled by tyranny there will be little individual initiative for fear of upsettng the boss. So do we wait for the boss to tell us what to do?

Therefore major inactivity or uncoordinated response which would then be ineffective.

Hopefully it'll pretty much be decided before here can be a coordinated response.

David

I agree - drop the double standards and bullshit about the Iraq war. It is not about the UN, it is not about National threats (to the UK/USA), and its not about terrorism!

I don't know what it is about though :|

I heard a hypothosis once that the west needs to trial weapons developments about every 10 years, and to "train" new generals - i.e. you can't have a head of military who is not a veteran - this viewpoint makes the most sense to me at this point in time

Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Whether you like the war or not, whether you believe it is right or not, whether you are from the US or elsewhere I think we can all say we wish our troops well. Come home safe. I pray that the loss of life on all sides will be minimal.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

All of you liberals make it sound like we are attacking the people and trying to wipe them out. LOL WTF ? This is to get Saddam out of there and set up something where they can live with some freedom ! Wake up and see the light people !! Jeez. :|

BTW... when did the UN become the world's government ? :S

http://www.brandonandlaura.com

By The Way, Billvon, you have to be the most ignorant person I have ever seen post, anywhere. What? Are you from California? Wait. NO excuse. You must be roughly 35 years old, and a fucking liberal shitball to boot. Good luck in life, asshole.

Shabakazaa is now banned because of a liberal shitball... Welcome Home...

By The Way, Billvon, you have to be the most ignorant person I have ever seen post, anywhere. What? Are you from California? Wait. NO excuse. You must be roughly 35 years old, and a fucking liberal shitball to boot. Good luck in life, asshole.

Hot fork is coming..

I guess wishing the best for a what can come from a situation like this would be too much to ask of our statesmen neighbors to the north.

As one of your neighbours from the north, I am saddened by the remarks made by our Prime Minister ( I am further saddened by the fact that the Iraqi Information Minister speaks better English than him, but that is beside the point).

Whatever Chretien might be saying, we are replacing most US troops in Afghanistan to free them for the war in Iraq, we have Canadian soldiers fighting under US command and we have Navy Ships running general security patrol in the area.

On one side he is saying we do not agree, on the other side we are certainly aiding the effort. Personally I think Chretien is an idiot.

I hope this war is swift and all involved come home safe.......

edited for spelling, grammar etc.....